Sunday at 6 pm Eastern Time.

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

ahartleyvu
Bench Warmer
And1: 56

Re: Sunday at 6 pm Eastern Time. 

Post#61 » by ahartleyvu » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:09 pm

I think we need someone like Luc Mbah a Moute, someone that could spend minutes at 3/4 that can also do a decent job of stretching the floor.
pacers70
Junior
And1: 69

Post#62 » by pacers70 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:10 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I think the team needs another experienced big, just in case Leaf and Goga aren't ready

Is $5.8m enough for Noah Vonleh or Kevon Looney?

Another experienced PG would be nice too, again just in case Holiday isn't ready

Maybe sign TJ McConnell with the room exception? Or is he worth a lot more than that?

I agree but the PG would have to be a 3rd string PG. Someone who wouldn't mind if he only played 20-30 games. I'm thinking Shelvin Mack.

Pretty much the same situation with the big, however, Leaf could be moved to the 5th big. If Goga doesn't work out, we can always use Sabonis as the backup Center. I think we need a combo forward that can defend. Someone that can help defend the Greek Freak, LeBron and Leonard. Maybe JaMychal Green.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#63 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:16 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I think the team needs another experienced big, just in case Leaf and Goga aren't ready

Another experienced PG would be nice too, again just in case Holiday isn't ready

Maybe sign TJ McConnell with the room exception? Or is he worth a lot more than that?

if I'm not confused, we need to sign 2 more players to get to the required minimum of 14. a 3rd point guard and a big that plays whichever forward spot we think Warren will play the least seems right.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#64 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:18 pm

pacers70 wrote:I think we need a combo forward that can defend.

someone who can take 6 fouls?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#65 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:16 pm

pacers70 wrote:

I agree but the PG would have to be a 3rd string PG. Someone who wouldn't mind if he only played 20-30 games. I'm thinking Shelvin Mack.

Pretty much the same situation with the big, however, Leaf could be moved to the 5th big. If Goga doesn't work out, we can always use Sabonis as the backup Center. I think we need a combo forward that can defend. Someone that can help defend the Greek Freak, LeBron and Leonard. Maybe JaMychal Green.

Green is likely a full MLE guy or more. Around double what we can pay in year one.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#66 » by Topofthekey » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:15 pm

Well, whatever it is, outside of Myles and Domas, we don't actually have another proven big

Although I'm optimistic that Goga and Leaf will be able to give us some solid backup minutes, I really wouldn't mind another good backup big - say we sign Kevon Looney (or fingers crossed Noah Vonleh) and make him and Leaf the primary backups at C and PF, we can always stash Goga on the Mad Ants and watch his development, and if it turns out that Goga's really good and ready, we can always then trade Looney (or Leaf) and call Goga up - it's probably a safer approach than simply signing a 3rd string emergency big and then finding out that Goga and Leaf aren't ready

Let's see what they do
Wizop
RealGM

Post#67 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:32 pm

we also don't have traditional small forwards. Just listened to the realgm podcast though the pacer portion and they said our roster was all guards and centers.that's not quite right. certainly Doug is a 3 and we need to let him do more than wave his hands in the corner and back cut. but where are Warren and Alize most comfortable? 3 or 4?
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by Topofthekey » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:48 pm

Wizop wrote:we also don't have traditional small forwards. Just listened to the realgm podcast though the pacer portion and they said our roster was all guards and centers.that's not quite right. certainly Doug is a 3 and we need to let him do more than wave his hands in the corner and back cut.

Doug's certainly a 3, unless people think of him as a big 2

I'm scratching my head a bit though; who gets the bulk of the minutes at 3?

Warren? Lamb?

Minutes allocations seems a little wonky right now, unless we go full positionless or something

My expectations of how many minutes each player should ideally get:

Vic 32
Domas 32
Myles 32
Brogdon 32
Warren 30
Lamb 30
Doug 20
Holiday 16
Leaf 16

That's a total of 240 minutes, which is exactly how many minutes there are to go around in a game (48x5=240)

The problem with the above distribution is that Goga and Sumner are left out, and more importantly Domas and Myles are the only two proven bigs

Basically between Vic, Brogdon, Warren, Lamb, Doug, and Holiday, that's 6 players splitting time at 1-2-3
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#69 » by Topofthekey » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:03 pm

It's almost like KP intentionally makes it so that Myles and Domas are the only two proven bigs Nate has, so that Nate has absolutely zero choice but to start them both and play them as much as he can :lol:

Nate: Can we get another big man who I can play?

KP:

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#70 » by Tom White » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:11 pm

Wizop wrote:we also don't have traditional small forwards. Just listened to the realgm podcast though the pacer portion and they said our roster was all guards and centers.that's not quite right. certainly Doug is a 3 and we need to let him do more than wave his hands in the corner and back cut. but where are Warren and Alize most comfortable? 3 or 4?

That tells me the guys doing the podcast simply aren't paying any attention.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#71 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:34 pm

Topofthekey wrote:It's almost like KP intentionally makes it so that Myles and Domas are the only two proven bigs Nate has, so that Nate has absolutely zero choice but to start them both and play them as much as he can :lol:

I imagine in the off season KP and Nate talk a lot about roster composition. One of them wouldn't be here if they had serious philosophical disagreements about what needed to be done. It is certainly safe to assume that they both agreed with needed more shooters who could get their own shots. Brogdon, Lamb, Warren, and counting.

once the season starts though, while they keep talking, I'm sure Nate is free to do whatever he thinks best to win each game. if you have to order your coach to do something he doesn't want to do, he's half way out the door.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#72 » by Vorda » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:28 am

I have just heard that Bojan told to friends that he arranged everything with Jazz 10 days ago

Poslano sa mog SM-A510F koristeći Tapatalk
Wizop
RealGM

Post#73 » by Wizop » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:39 pm

Vorda wrote:I have just heard that Bojan told to friends that he arranged everything with Jazz 10 days ago

I've read that while the league is serious about tampering during the season, once a player's team is done for the year, concern over conversations between teams and agents ends. however, announcing deals during the moratorium is forbidden to teams although the league itself publishes the rumors on its website and talks about them on NBATV.

I've also read that we offered a 4 year contract but that the final year was only partially guaranteed and the Jazz offered 4 years fully guaranteed. Bojan took the guarantee even though the money in the first 3 years was similar. given his age, I completely understand.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:42 pm

Wizop wrote:
Vorda wrote:I have just heard that Bojan told to friends that he arranged everything with Jazz 10 days ago

I've read that while the league is serious about tampering during the season, once a player's team is done for the year, concern over conversations between teams and agents ends. however, announcing deals during the moratorium is forbidden to teams although the league itself publishes the rumors on its website and talks about them on NBATV.

I've also read that we offered a 4 year contract but that the final year was only partially guaranteed and the Jazz offered 4 years fully guaranteed. Bojan took the guarantee even though the money in the first 3 years was similar. given his age, I completely understand.

There you go. That partial guarantee could be a $10m difference too.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#75 » by Vorda » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:03 pm

Wizop wrote:

So, that happened 10 days ago... it is funny to think that everybody wait for 1st july to start negotiations

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:11 pm

Vorda wrote:
Wizop wrote:

So, that happened 10 days ago... it is funny to think that everybody wait for 1st july to start negotiations

Who says everybody waits until July 1st for negotiations? As Wizop said, that kind of tampering is generally allowed as long as seasons are over and it’s a free agent. Can’t fully agree to a deal, but could definitely get the groundwork down and be ready. No formal agreements though as you never know what might happen in June or so or who might surprise you with a ton of money.

Return to Indiana Pacers