Image

Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Jake0890, pacerfan, Grang33r

User avatar
OnFire
Junior
Posts: 257
And1: 13
Joined: Jul 12, 2006

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcom Brogdon 

Post#41 » by OnFire » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:45 am

Hope someone can clarify :

If he was a RFA and agreed to sign with us, couldn't we have just passed on the S&T with MIL and get to keep the picks? Since he signed for 4 years, that already gives us Bird Years on him in the life of the contract.

Thanks in advance. 8-)
agkagk
Senior
Posts: 549
And1: 374
Joined: Sep 03, 2011

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcom Brogdon 

Post#42 » by agkagk » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:46 am

boomershadow wrote:I don't love going back to a double combo guard back court.



Y’all got to really high iq players here.

As a basketball fan, I’m excited to see this.


Not totally locked in to your team; saw someone’s projected depth chart earlier— I thought Holliday was a 2 -3. Can he play the point consistently?
Topofthekey
Senior
Posts: 589
And1: 202
Joined: Nov 18, 2017

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcom Brogdon 

Post#43 » by Topofthekey » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:46 am

Ugh, $20m and we have to give up a FRP and two SRP, I am not a fan of this signing

I would have much preferred Rubio at $17m, mainly because we wouldn't have needed to give up the picks

I don't hate this, since Brogdon is a nice player to have, I'm just not sure how I feel about entrusting the team's PG position to him over the next 4 years
User avatar
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
Posts: 3,096
And1: 2,815
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
Location: Naptown
   

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcom Brogdon 

Post#44 » by boomershadow » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:50 am

agkagk wrote:Not totally locked in to your team; saw someone’s projected depth chart earlier— I thought Holliday was a 2 -3. Can he play the point consistently?


Mostly a 1. Can play some 2 depending on who the other guard is, but he is only 6′ 1″

Topofthekey wrote:I would have much preferred Rubio at $17m, mainly because we wouldn't have needed to give up the picks

I don't hate this, since Brogdon is a nice player to have, I'm just not sure how I feel about entrusting the team's PG position to him over the next 4 years


Me too.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
Posts: 11,925
And1: 4,824
Joined: Sep 26, 2006
 

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcom Brogdon 

Post#45 » by pacers33granger » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:50 am

I don't like giving up picks at all, but if that's what it took, that's what it took. And it's worth a first (pending the protections) to upgrade from Rubio to Brogdon. Better player who fits right in with the age of our young guys and can play alongside both Vic and Aaron without any issues

I'm worried about shot creation while Vic is out still, but Brogdon at this number is a better bet than Dlo at a max. He is likely the best realistic option we had this summer.
Topofthekey
Senior
Posts: 589
And1: 202
Joined: Nov 18, 2017

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcom Brogdon 

Post#46 » by Topofthekey » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:11 am

I've been reading the Bucks thread on Brogdon

Some of them are quite upset that they couldn't keep Brogdon; some of them are even saying they should have prioritized Brogdon over Middleton

But there seems to be a consensus that Brogdon had openly wanted out from the Bucks, so we might have overpaid a little? Also, another thing that got mentioned quite a bit is his foot, apparently it's been troublesome, and also some of them don't think he makes a good PG

Oh, and one of them said "now he goes to Indiana the worst state in the country", I lol-ed at that; Pacers/Indiana really don't seem to have much of a good reputation as a place to be
User avatar
Moooose
Starter
Posts: 2,236
And1: 169
Joined: Apr 13, 2010
Location: From Way Downtown
 

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcom Brogdon 

Post#47 » by Moooose » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:20 am

Hmm. I wasn't too excited when I saw this news. Can't say I am overly happy about it, but we'll see in time. I hope the fit works. And his health too.

Not that much of a playmaker, but is a VERY steady player and is capable of adjusting into a role. To me, he's a bigger, better-shooting George Hill. Pace would be slower if he runs the point, and so maybe he can play alongside Holiday in the starting lineup on some games as a shooting guard.
Image
Tom White
Senior
Posts: 552
And1: 304
Joined: Aug 27, 2001
Location: Indiana

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcom Brogdon 

Post#48 » by Tom White » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:25 am

Have to admit I didn't follow him very closely, so I have to ask. What was/is the problem with his foot? A lot of people mention it, but they don't mention what happened.
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,652
And1: 544
Joined: May 19, 2008
       

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcom Brogdon 

Post#49 » by MUpacersSIC » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:27 am

OnFire wrote:Hope someone can clarify :

If he was a RFA and agreed to sign with us, couldn't we have just passed on the S&T with MIL and get to keep the picks? Since he signed for 4 years, that already gives us Bird Years on him in the life of the contract.

Thanks in advance. 8-)


They paid the first round pick so that Milwaukee wouldn’t match the offer sheet.
pacers70
Junior
Posts: 285
And1: 66
Joined: Dec 20, 2011
       

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcom Brogdon 

Post#50 » by pacers70 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:33 am

This is a great move!

When healthy, we’ll have Brogdan and Vic in the backcourt. They will be interchangeable as both can play the 1 or 2. Both have decent size and length and both are good defensively. Brogdan is a very good shooter and is pretty good in the clutch.

In theory, we are improving our team. The 1st round draft pick that we give up will probably be somewhere around 20. You are usually going to find a border line starter. To give up that and 2 second round picks to get Brogdan is a pretty good deal. Remember you have to give up something of value to get something of value.
wallus
Sophomore
Posts: 246
And1: 212
Joined: Jan 02, 2019
 

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcom Brogdon 

Post#51 » by wallus » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:36 am

Malcolm is a great player and you will like him. I don't think he is a PG and you will get used to people misspelling his last name constantly. Your team had a good day.
User avatar
kid idioteque
Veteran
Posts: 2,931
And1: 1,975
Joined: Feb 18, 2012
   

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcom Brogdon 

Post#52 » by kid idioteque » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:54 am

Boneman2 wrote:Milwaukee board is irate.


Not really. There were rumors all year about one starter being dissatisfied with the city and / or organization. Seems like it was Malcolm.

But provided he stays healthy he'll be good for you guys.
User avatar
DavidDunn21
Rookie
Posts: 1,111
And1: 954
Joined: Nov 19, 2014
   

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#53 » by DavidDunn21 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:56 am

You're getting a real piece if he can stay healthy. Sorry to see him go


https://youtu.be/rgzPFv5W1tY

Sent from my moto g(7) power using RealGM mobile app
Image
IMF
Junior
Posts: 295
And1: 382
Joined: Jan 13, 2017
 

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcom Brogdon 

Post#54 » by IMF » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:00 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Boneman2 wrote:PG: Malcolm / Holiday
SG: Dipo / Lamb / Sumner
SF: Warren / McDermott
PF: Sabonis
C : Turner / Goga

Who am I missing? How much cap space do we have left? What are some good options remaining? We need a backup 4 & 1 imo.

Cheick Diallo might be a sneaky good 4 to target.



Missing Leaf and Alize.


My (not so) hot take is that Alize ends up impressing more than Leaf next season. Really hope he gets a chance to crack the rotation.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 26,517
And1: 3,091
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcom Brogdon 

Post#55 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:08 am

IMF wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Boneman2 wrote:PG: Malcolm / Holiday
SG: Dipo / Lamb / Sumner
SF: Warren / McDermott
PF: Sabonis
C : Turner / Goga

Who am I missing? How much cap space do we have left? What are some good options remaining? We need a backup 4 & 1 imo.

Cheick Diallo might be a sneaky good 4 to target.



Missing Leaf and Alize.


My (not so) hot take is that Alize ends up impressing more than Leaf next season. Really hope he gets a chance to crack the rotation.


I hope either of them continue to improve.

I will say, Leaf played much better at the end of the year and showed as if he had a bit of a future.
Licensed to Il
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,015
And1: 1,257
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
 

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#56 » by Licensed to Il » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:33 am

Bucks fan here.

If you are expecting Brogdon to come in as a starting level upper tier point guard, you will be disappointed.

If you love smart, skilled, basketball players... you will love him. Brogdon defends, gives great effort on both ends, out thinks his opponents, is a locker room leader, and an elite shooter.

He will struggle if asked to play a featured role, and probably won’t thrive early. But once Oladipo comes back healthy, Malcolm will be an ideal compliment to him.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 26,517
And1: 3,091
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#57 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:56 am

Licensed to Il wrote:Bucks fan here.

If you are expecting Brogdon to come in as a starting level upper tier point guard, you will be disappointed.

If you love smart, skilled, basketball players... you will love him. Brogdon defends, gives great effort on both ends, out thinks his opponents, is a locker room leader, and an elite shooter.

He will struggle if asked to play a featured role, and probably won’t thrive early. But once Oladipo comes back healthy, Malcolm will be an ideal compliment to him.


This is Indiana. We grow basketball here. :D
basketballwacko2
RealGM
Posts: 14,922
And1: 2,025
Joined: May 11, 2002
Location: Just outside of No where.
     

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcom Brogdon 

Post#58 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:03 am

agkagk wrote:
boomershadow wrote:I don't love going back to a double combo guard back court.



Y’all got to really high iq players here.

As a basketball fan, I’m excited to see this.


Not totally locked in to your team; saw someone’s projected depth chart earlier— I thought Holliday was a 2 -3. Can he play the point consistently?


Aaron Holiday is 6'1'' and a Point Guard. Maybe you're thinking of his brother who's name is Justin.
User avatar
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
Posts: 3,096
And1: 2,815
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
Location: Naptown
   

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#59 » by boomershadow » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:34 pm

So is he more or less of a point guard than Oladipo.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 10,062
And1: 1,502
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#60 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:49 pm

boomershadow wrote:So is he more or less of a point guard than Oladipo.


I'd say Brogdon is much more of a point guard than Oladipo. Vic was a 2 in college and Orlando traded him away after trying him at point. Brogdon was a point guard at Virginia and I'm pretty sure he won rookie of the year playing point. later the Bucks signed Bledsoe and played Brogdon more(?) at two. I don't want a lot of games other than ours, but it might be fair to say the Bucks didn't match our offer because it was more than they wanted to spend at his positions.

Return to Indiana Pacers