Image

Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Jake0890, pacerfan, Grang33r

Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
Posts: 5,118
And1: 160
Joined: May 27, 2007
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#81 » by Grang33r » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:39 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21


That makes me feel much better. Because i feared, if Oladipo comes back later then expected like January and it takes him time to get chemistry, and if someone else gets injured, that pick could be a top 5. Glad they have protection on it. 6 years seems a bit extreme though.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 26,517
And1: 3,091
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#82 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:55 pm

Most likely we pay it off next year. It does bug me a bit that we gave the first and the 2nds. I know, the 2nds are still net positive from the Warren deal and subsequent sell off, but still. But, when looking at it as a 1st for Brogdon, Warren, and a 2nd, I can live with it.
User avatar
cameroncrazies2
Senior
Posts: 736
And1: 131
Joined: Sep 03, 2010
     

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#83 » by cameroncrazies2 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 6:10 am

RE: Brogdons foot issue

Bucks have one of the best athletic trainers in the league, Suki Hobson, who won awards for it this past year. Brogdon has had a bunch of lingering foot issues, to the point the speculation is his plantar fascia was so bad they let him play through it until it tore completely to relieve the stress. Also tore his quad in 2018 that caused him to miss 6-7 weeks.
User avatar
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
Posts: 3,096
And1: 2,815
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
Location: Naptown
   

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#84 » by boomershadow » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:38 pm

Really, I think the sign and trade approach makes more sense than overpaying as much as possible just hoping their team doesn't match.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 26,517
And1: 3,091
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#85 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:41 pm

boomershadow wrote:Really, I think the sign and trade approach makes more sense than overpaying as much as possible just hoping their team doesn't match.


Agreed. Could we have gotten him for no picks if we had paid him an extra $3-5m a year? Maybe. But at that point, we’re buying a lotto protected 1st for around $12-20m.
Topofthekey
Senior
Posts: 589
And1: 202
Joined: Nov 18, 2017

How the Pacers' owner helped out the Bucks in the Malcolm Brogdon deal 

Post#86 » by Topofthekey » Thu Jul 4, 2019 3:23 am

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/07/how-the-pacers-owner-helped-out-the-bucks-in-the-malcolm-brogdon-deal

Interesting read

Basically we could have offered a contract that the Bucks couldn't match and sign Brogdon without having to give up anything

But we offered to send the Bucks some assets in return, so that everyone walks away from this with something in their hand

What do you feel about this?

On one hand, it feels silly and naive, as the league is a cutthroat place - just look at how other teams lowballed us with PG - and then mocked us when we supposedly got terrible returns for PG

On the other hand, there is something to be said about conducting oneself in a gentlemanly manner - sometimes, it's not all just about "winning" a trade or transaction

I think I am of the latter camp

I was initially slightly baffled that we had to give up a FRP for someone the Bucks couldn't keep anyway, but reading this, I have no more complaints - holding oneself to a higher standard when one didn't have to is the mark of civilized behaviour
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 26,517
And1: 3,091
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: How the Pacers' owner helped out the Bucks in the Malcolm Brogdon deal 

Post#87 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 4, 2019 3:32 am

Topofthekey wrote:https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/07/how-the-pacers-owner-helped-out-the-bucks-in-the-malcolm-brogdon-deal

Interesting read

Basically we could have offered a contract that the Bucks couldn't match and sign Brogdon without having to give up anything

But we offered to send the Bucks some assets in return, so that everyone walks away from this with something in their hand

What do you feel about this?

On one hand, it feels silly and naive, as the league is a cutthroat place - just look at how other teams lowballed us with PG - and then mocked us when we supposedly got terrible returns for PG

On the other hand, there is something to be said about conducting oneself in a gentlemanly manner - sometimes, it's not all just about "winning" a trade or transaction

I think I am of the latter camp

I was initially slightly baffled that we had to give up a FRP for someone the Bucks couldn't keep anyway, but reading this, I have no more complaints - holding oneself to a higher standard when one didn't have to is the mark of civilized behaviour



Already being discussed in the Brogdon signing post but I think the general rule of thumb is we may have saved $10-20m overall by giving up a 1st and not trying to “outbid the Bucks”, which is generally the going rate.
User avatar
KidPistol
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,685
And1: 1,449
Joined: Jul 21, 2015
         

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#88 » by KidPistol » Thu Jul 4, 2019 5:11 pm

I’m no Pacers fan but I just have to say that I love their roster so far and this off season has been nothing short but excellent for this franchise. The acquisition of Warren Lamb and Brogdon is going to do wonders for this team. I also like the selection of Goga as he looks very NBA ready.

They are literally maybe one more role piece away from being my dark horse to come out of the east if everyone stays healthy.
The scariest question in NBA history.

"Can Stephen Curry get better?"
Damkac
Veteran
Posts: 2,769
And1: 2,386
Joined: Apr 18, 2011
Location: Poland

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#89 » by Damkac » Thu Jul 4, 2019 7:53 pm

KidPistol wrote:I’m no Pacers fan but I just have to say that I love their roster so far and this off season has been nothing short but excellent for this franchise. The acquisition of Warren Lamb and Brogdon is going to do wonders for this team. I also like the selection of Goga as he looks very NBA ready.

They are literally maybe one more role piece away from being my dark horse to come out of the east if everyone stays healthy.

I second that.
Image
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 10,062
And1: 1,502
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#90 » by Wizop » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:41 pm

nothing official on this or McConnell

Sent from my phone.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 26,517
And1: 3,091
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#91 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 6, 2019 10:08 pm

Wizop wrote:nothing official on this or McConnell

Sent from my phone.



There’s a HUGE backlog of phone calls to the league office to clear all these transactions. And, since both of those deals (and the Lamb signing) aren’t dependent upon any other deal, or really holding up another deal, we might fall a little further back in the line. Within 48 hours everything should clear through.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 10,062
And1: 1,502
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#92 » by Wizop » Sat Jul 6, 2019 10:10 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:nothing official on this or McConnell

Sent from my phone.



There’s a HUGE backlog of phone calls to the league office to clear all these transactions. And, since both of those deals (and the Lamb signing) aren’t dependent upon any other deal, or really holding up another deal, we might fall a little further back in the line. Within 48 hours everything should clear through.


we might even have held off submitting the deals as a courtesy to others. there's a press conference tomorrow for Warren and Lamb.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 26,517
And1: 3,091
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#93 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 6, 2019 10:43 pm

User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 10,062
And1: 1,502
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#94 » by Wizop » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:03 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:https://www.nba.com/pacers/pacers-acquire-malcolm-brogdon

Just went live.


not sure which picks we sent, but maybe the delay was because we had to get the Warren deal and the Miami deal approved first so we owned all of the 2nd round picks that we sent to Milwaukee.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 26,517
And1: 3,091
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#95 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:08 am

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:https://www.nba.com/pacers/pacers-acquire-malcolm-brogdon

Just went live.


not sure which picks we sent, but maybe the delay was because we had to get the Warren deal and the Miami deal approved first so we owned all of the 2nd round picks that we sent to Milwaukee.


HArd to say. There’s something like 80+ trade calls that had to go down and a ton of signings that had to file with the league, all starting at like 9am today. Less than 12 hours is pretty quick for a ton of work.
User avatar
Pacersike
Veteran
Posts: 2,948
And1: 684
Joined: Jun 10, 2007
Location: Belgium

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#96 » by Pacersike » Mon Jul 8, 2019 10:49 pm

Impressive personality. Reminds me of David West.

Impressive good news show of PacersKev as well. Abundant optimism and abundantly throwing flowers at people annoys me.

Tyreke, Lance, Monta are 3 rather selfish personalities, the opposite of togetherness. Not to mention 2 of them getting suspended for violating the NBA anti-drug program. Great human beings to be proud of my ass. All human beings have some greatness and some flaws. All (wo)men are equal, playoffs wins will determine the difference here, wether or not it will be an epic day for the Pacers.

Keep it real, it is a wonderful day for the Pacers to add such a talented player, but there is always a chance it doesn't work out as expected. As a fan I don't need to hear that this is an epic day for the Pacers, because I know the chances remain 50/50.
50% chance it will turn out to become an epic day, the day we signed Malcolm, who helped the Pacers reach some finals again.

Good thing it's just the words that annoy me and not his actions. That would be much worse :lol:
Boneman2
General Manager
Posts: 7,641
And1: 1,005
Joined: Jul 07, 2003
Location: Indy
       

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#97 » by Boneman2 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 11:42 pm



Great press conference.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 26,517
And1: 3,091
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#98 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 9, 2019 12:41 pm

RealGM just updated with the 2nds.

2021 second round draft pick to Milwaukee
One year after Indiana conveys a 2nd round pick to Brooklyn, Indiana will convey its 2nd round pick to Milwaukee (this pick will therefore convey to Milwaukee in 2021, 2022, 2023 or 2024) [Indiana-Milwaukee, 7/6/2019]

2025 second round draft pick to Milwaukee
Indiana's 2025 2nd round pick to Milwaukee [Indiana-Milwaukee, 7/6/2019]

A bit surprising we didn’t return their 2021 2nd we owned already.
Boneman2
General Manager
Posts: 7,641
And1: 1,005
Joined: Jul 07, 2003
Location: Indy
       

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#99 » by Boneman2 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 5:25 pm

Do you think they prefer our 2nd thinking it’ll be a higher pick?
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 26,517
And1: 3,091
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: Pacers agree to S&T for Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#100 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 9, 2019 6:08 pm

Boneman2 wrote:Do you think they prefer our 2nd thinking it’ll be a higher pick?


Don't know. Who knows if they just took the picks that Simon offered them right away or if they demanded certain picks. Hard to say in such a unique situation. Mostly, I just don't get why it was a 1st AND 2 2nds. I get the 1st. I don't think the 2 2nds would've held up the deal if they were willing to let Brogdon go that simply.

Return to Indiana Pacers