Draft & free agency post-mortem: what next?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Re: Draft & free agency post-mortem: what next? 

Post#61 » by Topofthekey » Tue Jul 9, 2019 5:15 am

I wish there's some way for Pacers to trade for Robert Covington, like say Leaf + Doug + 2 FRP

Myles/Domas/Covington/Vic/Brogdon with Warren + Lamb off the bench is :o
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#62 » by winter_mute_13 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 6:25 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:What do you all think of Zach Lowe's comment that Boston would be a good trade match if Indiana moves one of Turner/Sabonis?

You'll have to wait longer for something like that to happen:

https://www.nba.com/pacers/news/turner-sabonis-unite-starting-lineup

The official plan now is to play them together. Now of course that doesn't guarantee that the plan will work, but I don't see the Pacers giving up on it say half season in, no matter how bad it's going. They'll give it a year at least IMO, especially with all the other changes going on simultaneously.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#63 » by winter_mute_13 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 6:32 am

Topofthekey wrote:I wish there's some way for Pacers to trade for Robert Covington, like say Leaf + Doug + 2 FRP

Myles/Domas/Covington/Vic/Brogdon with Warren + Lamb off the bench is :o

Not a big fan of trading FRPs in general, but yes that looks pretty solid. Covington is an elite role player, perfect for that lineup.

Don't know if the Wolves want to trade him though, at least not without some actual useful pieces coming back.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#64 » by Topofthekey » Tue Jul 9, 2019 6:55 am

winter_mute_13 wrote:Not a big fan of trading FRPs in general, but yes that looks pretty solid. Covington is an elite role player, perfect for that lineup.

Don't know if the Wolves want to trade him though, at least not without some actual useful pieces coming back.

They won't trade him unless it's for a haul, that's for sure

But then again, Mike Conley was traded for Grayson Allen, Jae Crowder, #23, and future FRP

Leaf and Allen are about the same in value I think, and Doug's value isn't that far from Crowder, given that Crowder's production has been declining, and Doug's younger too

So who knows, maybe Leaf + Doug + 2 FRP can be a decent starting point - maybe throw in 2 or 3 of those SRPs that we acquired
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,062

Post#65 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 9, 2019 12:36 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:What do you all think of Zach Lowe's comment that Boston would be a good trade match if Indiana moves one of Turner/Sabonis?

:dontknow:

It would make sense on a basic level. We have big men. You need big men. But, we’re pretty interested to see Brogdon, Oladipo, and Lamb develop here. We’re still interested in getting Holiday and Sumner some chances. We also have TJ Warren and Doug McDermott. I think if Ainge was interested, he held onto his chips too long.

But also it’s a weird concept as even Lowe wrote that a Boston trade would require Indy just selling too low on the young bigs. I don’t think we have enough assets, or can acquire them affordably enough, to sell low on any of them.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#66 » by pacers33granger » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:17 pm

Pritchard said that the next priority is extending Domas and both he and Nate have talked about how this is the time to get him and Myles on the floor together. I get the speculation from media, but we're really not moving either of them, at least for now.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Post#67 » by Grang33r » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:54 am

pacers33granger wrote:Pritchard said that the next priority is extending Domas and both he and Nate have talked about how this is the time to get him and Myles on the floor together. I get the speculation from media, but we're really not moving either of them, at least for now.

Theres no way they are moving either guy this summer or this season. Pacers had major roster surgery as is but it'll all depend on how well they do. They drafted Goga in the first round and are very high on him, and if you follow J.Micheal on twitter, you'll see that everyone from around the basketball world he comes across in Vegas is also super high on Goga.

The Pacers would be cheating themselves if they didn't try Sabonis and Turner together and see how it works out. I love Turner. He's probably my favorite player on the team currently. But i don't think he scores enough for todays NBA. I worry the front court of Sabonis and Turner won't score enough.

Sabonis has surprised me a lot, and right now id be leaning towards keeping him. Next summer i think thats a move they will have to make though.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r

Return to Indiana Pacers