Draft & free agency post-mortem: what next?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,072

Re: Draft & free agency post-mortem: what next? 

Post#41 » by Wizop » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:55 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:This sounds kinda dumb but the "Room Exception" can be used when you still have space?

In theory, yes. But no reason to until after you use all your cap space. Even vet minimums take away from cap space.

so after the 2nd TJ signing, what can we offer to fill the 14th roster spot?
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#42 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 3, 2019 8:27 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:This sounds kinda dumb but the "Room Exception" can be used when you still have space?

In theory, yes. But no reason to until after you use all your cap space. Even vet minimums take away from cap space.

so after the 2nd TJ signing, what can we offer to fill the 14th roster spot?

Depends on how we structure the McConnell signing. He could fit into the Room exception (which maxes at $4.8m, but can be split) and leave a little left but would leave full the cap space of about $5.5m, or he could come out of cap space, leaving around $2-3m in cap space, but the full room exception of around $4.8m.

Lots of flexibility. If he comes out of the room exception, that means more cap space could then be used to front load salaries of Sumner, Brogdon, and Lamb. The room exception cannot be used to do that.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#43 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:21 pm

Packers corner the market on TJ's!
OnFire
Junior
And1: 27

Post#44 » by OnFire » Thu Jul 4, 2019 9:02 am

If we can add JaMychal Green, that be a close to a successful off-season.

If not, I wouldn't mind we target Tyson Chandler as our emergency big / elder statesman role. 8-)
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#45 » by Topofthekey » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:40 am

So. Now that Kawhi Leonard and Paul George have decided to team up in LA, the East seems wide open

Raptors - lost Kawhi
Celtics - lost Horford
Bucks - lost Brogdon, Mirotic
76ers - lost Butler, Reddick
Nets - Durant likely out for the season

If not for Vic's injury, I'd say upcoming season is as good a time as any for Pacers to make a push to win the East

Actually, it might still be the case

Fingers crossed that new additions Warren, Brogdon, and Lamb all mesh immediately, Myles and Domas pairs up successfully, Goga becomes an immediate contributor, and Vic returns close to 100%
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by Topofthekey » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:36 am

The only that I kept noticing was Vic's right leg - it looks like it's really atrophied, especially when you compare it to his left leg

It's going to be a while before he'll be a 100%
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#47 » by Moooose » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:08 am

Topofthekey wrote:

The only that I kept noticing was Vic's right leg - it looks like it's really atrophied, especially when you compare it to his left leg

There was an episode (I think 2 episodes before this) where he topic was about his rehab. I can't look at that right knee especially when the therapist was massaging it. It sure doesn't look normal yet. Maybe some swelling or what. But Vic's gait has been improving since the start of the episodes. I too think that it'd take some time and based on the off-season signings, we won't rush him back until he's ready.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,717

Post#48 » by Pacers_Freak » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:14 am

Topofthekey wrote:

Atrophy would certainly be normal at this point. Once it is stable then the goal is to build the muscles back up.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Post#49 » by Grang33r » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:12 am

Topofthekey wrote:So. Now that Kawhi Leonard and Paul George have decided to team up in LA, the East seems wide open

Raptors - lost Kawhi
Celtics - lost Horford
Bucks - lost Brogdon, Mirotic
76ers - lost Butler, Reddick
Nets - Durant likely out for the season

This is kind of misleading, because while some of these teams did get weaker, but some of them also added.

Kemba Walker to the Celtics. Al Horford to the 76ers. And DeAndre Jordan, Kyrie Irving and Taurean Prince to the Nets.

Even with a healthy Vic, i don't think we wouldve been favorites in the east.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by Topofthekey » Mon Jul 8, 2019 4:30 am

Celtics got Kemba Walker, but they lost Kyrie Irving and Al Horford, so overall, they've definitely lost talent

Same goes with 76ers, they got Horford, but lost Butler and Reddick, so again that's definitely a nett lost of talent

Nets got Taurean Prince and Kyrie (Durant's next season's addition), but they lost D'angelo Russell; while that's a gain in talent overall, they weren't a top tier team to begin with, so the talent gain doesn't push them over the top, it pushes them into the top tier

Of course, this is looking at it strictly from a talent perspective, once you factor in team chemistry and fit and coaching and whatnot, things can look quite different

On paper, all the top teams in the East are at parity, so there's definitely a window for any team to make a push
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#51 » by pacers33granger » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:10 am

Philly also got Richardson, you can't gloss over that.
Moooose
Starter

Post#52 » by Moooose » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:10 pm

Just saw TJ Warren and Jeremy Lamb's press introduction on Youtube. I needed coffee to stay awake. Kawhi is sure a fun guy as compared to these two. I hope they fit in well with the team chemistry.

So, we have addressed playmaking in signing TJ McConnell and making Domas start at the 4. Looking at the roster, I think we have enough depth and versatility on the wings.

Brogdon / Holiday / McConnell
Oladipo / Lamb / Sumner
Warren / McDermott / Johnson
Sabonis / Leaf
Turner / Bitadze

Maybe one insurance wing while easing Oladipo into the season? And I personally would want a banger who we could use to body the likes of Giannis, Lebron, etc. Not saying someone who could stop them but maybe someone who could at least defend better than TJ Leaf and has more experience than our young Goga. For this role, I would want someone like Kenneth Faried or Cheick Diallo.

JaMychal Green is a good mention. I wanted him or Trey Lyles before we got TJ Warren.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:01 pm

Ja’Mychael Green would be an awesome flex piece if he’d take the room exception here.

As for deep depth on the wing that could help with Vic’s shortened year? Vince carter still has a little game, would take vet minimums and fill the old man locker room quota. :wink:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 8, 2019 4:07 pm

With Denver acquiring Jerami Grant for cap space and giving up a 1st round pick, Denver has now rescinded the QO on Trey Lyles making him an unrestricted free agent. So, he's an option now.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#55 » by pacers33granger » Mon Jul 8, 2019 4:12 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:With Denver acquiring Jerami Grant for cap space and giving up a 1st round pick, Denver has now rescinded the QO on Trey Lyles making him an unrestricted free agent. So, he's an option now.

I'm not really seeing the fit for us with Lyles though. Domas is clearly going to be getting a decent amount of PF minutes and Warren should see some time there too. We've already got our developmental PF in Leaf (and Alize). I think we need a vet who doesn't mind not getting minutes. Someone like Amir Johnson, Lance Thomas, or Quincy Acy would seem to fit better.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 8, 2019 4:12 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 8, 2019 4:13 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 8, 2019 4:15 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:With Denver acquiring Jerami Grant for cap space and giving up a 1st round pick, Denver has now rescinded the QO on Trey Lyles making him an unrestricted free agent. So, he's an option now.

I'm not really seeing the fit for us with Lyles though. Domas is clearly going to be getting a decent amount of PF minutes and Warren should see some time there too. We've already got our developmental PF in Leaf (and Alize). I think we need a vet who doesn't mind not getting minutes. Someone like Amir Johnson, Lance Thomas, or Quincy Acy would seem to fit better.

Yeah, it's more the 14th spot, but Lyles would be here to compete with Leaf. And, it's the 14th spot and pickins are running slim.
Moooose
Starter

Post#59 » by Moooose » Mon Jul 8, 2019 6:51 pm

There goes Green. If Larry still got a say on some things, I think Trey Lyles is a real possibility. I remember the Pacers were torn back in the 2015 draft between Tuner and Lyles for the 11th pick. Larry liked Lyles a lot but went for someone who can play bigger (PF/C) in Turner, thinking Paul George could play some 4. And Lyles has some Indiana ties.

Adding Lyles would endanger Leaf, though, and maybe even Alize. But it'd be a good problem to have. I wanted us to have Lyles before we got TJ Warren. But now it would look kind of redundant if we are to add him.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#60 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:39 am

What do you all think of Zach Lowe's comment that Boston would be a good trade match if Indiana moves one of Turner/Sabonis?

Return to Indiana Pacers