Alize Johnson's development

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Alize Johnson's development 

Post#1 » by Grang33r » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:30 am

I don't think it was a surprise what kind of summer league Alize Johnson had. But to me, he was our best player and it wasn't close. In summer league, Johnson emerged as the go-to-scorer for the Pacers, he has been a pesky defender. His shooting has been good, his positioning has been excellent too. I loved it when the Pacers played Johnson with Holiday and Sumner out, almost forcing Johnson to a leadership role with this wonky team. I thought Johnson was a beast this tournament, averaged 16.4ppg and 9.6rpg. His final game vs. the Clippers i thought was his best. 25 points, 13 boards and 2 steals.

I would really love to see him play in some non-garbage time minutes next season.

Highlights of that Clippers game-

The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Re: Alize Johnson's development 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:09 pm

He played really well, probably best of all the Pacers. I would not describe him at all as the "go-to" guy. To me, and throughout all the games, he really exhibited his best play as a "non-ball needing" garbage kind of guy. Great touch around the basket on tip ins and follow throughs. Was an outlet on drives in the corner for 3's. He showed enough ball handling to start a fast break and push the tempo, though he definitely lost the ball a ton on drives into any sort of a crowd. I think he's a great kind of option long-term as a 4th or 5th option offensively at the wing, and floating around the basket and into the corners. He didn't really show me anything that lead me to believe he can be a real initiator, but he definitely showed he can play a solid role in the NBA. I really don't want him in Ft. Wayne much, if at all this season. I'm not sure he has anything to gain there by being double teamed all season long again. I'd like to see him night in and out and push guys like Leaf and Warren at the 3/4 spots.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#3 » by Jake0890 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:34 pm

I'm not saying he reminds me of a young Bulls Jimmy Butler... but he reminds me of a young Bulls Jimmy Butler. I wanna see him play. Seems like he's always in the right place at the right time around the basket.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:23 pm

Jake0890 wrote:I'm not saying he reminds me of a young Bulls Jimmy Butler... but he reminds me of a young Bulls Jimmy Butler. I wanna see him play. Seems like he's always in the right place at the right time around the basket.

He physically looks a bit like him. But he doesn't play the same. He can't take anybody off the bounce like Butler could/can. So far, Alize has been a drive right at the rim guy when it's swung around to him and the opponent hasn't switched quickly enough so he has an open lane.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#5 » by Wizop » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:20 am

I've been traveling and only saw game 1, but drive "right" at the basket was apt. He never drove left. That won't work against vets.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#6 » by Pacers_Freak » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:57 am

Please remember this is the summer league. It has little to no carry over to the NBA.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#7 » by Wizop » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:40 pm

the star reports we've exercised our team option to fully guarantee his contract for this year.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:22 pm

Wizop wrote:the star reports we've exercised our team option to fully guarantee his contract for this year.

Sent from my phone.

Wasn't a team option. Simply, he would've had to have been waived by yesterday at 5 pm in order to clear waivers by his full guarantee date on Monday morning. He was already $761,536 guaranteed, so the remaining $655,316 guaranteed.
Pacercoltboiler
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#9 » by Pacercoltboiler » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:41 pm

From what I've seen in Summer League, he is a good scorer facing the basket. Not just garbage stuff. Something that concerns me is his defense. He does not have much of an effect in the post. He was also billed as a plus rebounder, and I did not see that either. So If he is not a board monster or post defender, does that mean he is a small forward? Can he guard wings, and can he space the floor?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:23 am

Pacercoltboiler wrote:From what I've seen in Summer League, he is a good scorer facing the basket. Not just garbage stuff. Something that concerns me is his defense. He does not have much of an effect in the post. He was also billed as a plus rebounder, and I did not see that either. So If he is not a board monster or post defender, does that mean he is a small forward? Can he guard wings, and can he space the floor?

We chewed up quite a bit of rebounds and kept plays alive even if he didn’t get the rebound himself, a la Jeff Foster. He can hit an open shot pretty reliably and has a great touch in the corner 3. He’s not a garbage player, but rather he kind of makes his own plays by what’s happening around. He’s not going to break anyone down off the dribble by any means, but if he has a crease, he can attack that, but mostly only to his right, as his left hand dribble is quite weak so far. He’s definitely a combo forward. He won’t bang in the post with the Embiid’s, but could probably be assigned to most any other big 3 thru 5’s. He’s fast enough to maybe even keep up with some 2’s.

If this makes any sense? :dontknow:
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#11 » by Jake0890 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:27 am

Wizop wrote:I've been traveling and only saw game 1, but drive "right" at the basket was apt. He never drove left. That won't work against vets.

Sent from my phone.

All I’m saying is Domas still can’t finish with his right hand near the rim but we wanna extend him...
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:00 am

Jake0890 wrote:
Wizop wrote:I've been traveling and only saw game 1, but drive "right" at the basket was apt. He never drove left. That won't work against vets.

Sent from my phone.

All I’m saying is Domas still can’t finish with his right hand near the rim but we wanna extend him...

We could also say that despite that hindrance, Domas is a much, much, much better player overall at this point, and he was at this respective point in Alize's career, too. We're hoping that Dom can finish with his right, and that would make him a contender for an All-Star spot. We're hoping Alize can drive left in any meaningful way so that he can net minutes on the active roster.
IMF
Junior
And1: 720

Post#13 » by IMF » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:30 am

This guy is a player, I really hope he gets a chance to crack the rotation. He’d be a perfect 6th man energy glue guy type, don’t be shocked if he outplays Leaf.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#14 » by Wizop » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:41 pm

IMF wrote:This guy is a player, I really hope he gets a chance to crack the rotation. He’d be a perfect 6th man energy glue guy type, don’t be shocked if he outplays Leaf.

he has potential, but I'll be shocked if he cracks our top 10 this year.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#15 » by Pacers_Freak » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:39 pm

IMF wrote:This guy is a player, I really hope he gets a chance to crack the rotation. He’d be a perfect 6th man energy glue guy type, don’t be shocked if he outplays Leaf.

6th man? This year??
Pacercoltboiler
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#16 » by Pacercoltboiler » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:58 pm

Where can he play? He can't play the 4 because of his defense. Can he shoot deep enough and guard the wing?
IMF
Junior

Post#17 » by IMF » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:50 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:

6th man? This year??

More like his ceiling, but I think he has elite role player potential and could be an elusive “winning player” type. The ideal low usage 5th starter or 6th man.

It’s probably unlikely he cracks the rotation this year barring injuries, but frankly I’m just not very high on TJ Leaf.
IMF
Junior

Post#18 » by IMF » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:53 pm

Pacercoltboiler wrote:Where can he play? He can't play the 4 because of his defense. Can he shoot deep enough and guard the wing?

Everything I’ve read and seen of him projects him as a clear cut 4 who can guard multiple positions. A Thad type but who is actually an elite rebounder instead of that being a weakness.

As with a lot of these guys, a lot will hinge on his ability to develop a consistent jumper and 3 point range. If he does he’s going to be a very good player.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:23 pm

Pacercoltboiler wrote:Where can he play? He can't play the 4 because of his defense. Can he shoot deep enough and guard the wing?

He's absolutely a combo 3/4. He can guard the 4. He can't guard the Al Horford/Joel Embiid's of the world inside, but he can keep them in front of him on the perimeter.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#20 » by Pacers_Freak » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:27 pm

IMF wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:

6th man? This year??

More like his ceiling, but I think he has elite role player potential and could be an elusive “winning player” type. The ideal low usage 5th starter or 6th man.

It’s probably unlikely he cracks the rotation this year barring injuries, but frankly I’m just not very high on TJ Leaf.

I’d love for that to happen. It’d be great for the Pacers and I’m a big Missouri Valley fan. But, I’m not sure I see it. Certainly hope you are right and I am wrong.

Return to Indiana Pacers