Turner working with Kevin McHale

Moderators: pacers33granger, pacerfan, boomershadow, Jake0890, Grang33r

boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 2,798

Turner working with Kevin McHale 

Post#1 » by boomershadow » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:33 pm

Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame member Kevin McHale traveled to the Athletic Performance Ranch in Fort Worth, Texas to work with Myles Turner.

The focus of the workouts with McHale was to go over techniques with Myles that will help him to become a greater interior scoring threat and to generate more free throw attempts. The advice that was given was meant to complement his skill-set as a reliable shooting big man and to use his athleticism to his advantage.

“Adding some post stuff, aggressive attacking. Using his skill. He has tremendous skill. Great hands. Great touch,” McHale said when asked what he wanted to emphasize when working with Myles. “Just try to put him in positions that he can attack more and get fouled more. Get into the paint more off the dribble, off the bounce. He is already a tremendous shooter in the pick-and-pop but in the playoffs, you need paint points.”

http://mylesturnerbasketball.org/kevin-mchale-travels-to-texas-to-work-with-myles-turner/

Thought this was pretty cool. Any chance the Larry Bird connection came into play here?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,064

Re: Turner working with Kevin McHale 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:59 pm

Also, assistant Bill Bayno has been there with them too, so that's nice to add some solid continuity and get everyone on the same page.
Tom White
Senior
And1: 304

Post#3 » by Tom White » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:27 pm

Let's hope he soaks up everything he can from McHale. That guy was always a pain in the butt for defenders, all the way back to his days at the University of Minnesota. Terrific footwork and talent around and under the basket. Not a bad defender either.
SmashMouthRod
Pro Prospect
And1: 111

Post#4 » by SmashMouthRod » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:31 pm

Great idea. The team could contend if he can become a more dominant offensive player.
Tom White
Senior
And1: 304

Post#5 » by Tom White » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 pm

I think it is a much better idea than when they had Bill Walton come in to work with Hibbert. I always figured Walton spent more time quoting the Grateful Dead and trying to be philosophical than actually teaching anything useful.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:24 am

Tom White wrote:I think it is a much better idea than when they had Bill Walton come in to work with Hibbert. I always figured Walton spent more time quoting the Grateful Dead and trying to be philosophical than actually teaching anything useful.

Meh. Walton may truly be a hippy, but he had a great, crisp, basketball mind at the time, and was always known for great footwork and basketball iq and placement when he played. Same for McHale.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 745

Post#7 » by Jake0890 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:39 pm

Having deja vu here, I feel like a story always pops up about Turner working on his post game every summer... am I wrong?

His range has gotten consistently better through his time here, but still not convinced we've see any development of his back-to-th-basket game.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:00 pm

Jake0890 wrote:Having deja vu here, I feel like a story always pops up about Turner working on his post game every summer... am I wrong?

His range has gotten consistently better through his time here, but still not convinced we've see any development of his back-to-th-basket game.

I don’t think the post game was a priority last year at all. All the Myles stuff was fitness and flexibility related.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 4,775

Post#9 » by pacers33granger » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:49 pm

Jake0890 wrote:Having deja vu here, I feel like a story always pops up about Turner working on his post game every summer... am I wrong?

Yeah he hasn't utilized it much really, but that could be more scheme than anything. When he did use it though his patience and timing was so much better than his first couple of years though.

Return to Indiana Pacers