Bench production

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Bench production 

Post#1 » by Pacersike » Wed Oct 2, 2019 9:16 pm

Any predictions or hopes?

The starting unit looks like it will not change in the first few months with the talent/experience gap being rather large after the 5th player, but which players will get significant minutes off the bench?

Besides Sabonis, our bench production has been rather poor in previous (think Evans and Ellis) seasons, who do you think/hope will replace Sabonis production with decent enough effficiency?

Is it going to be Leaf as Brogdon was pointing out or the 4th Holiday?

My guess is Holiday, Holiday, McDermott, Leaf with Leaf being the best and only good offensive efficiency player.
It's only a bit optimistic but I don't expect a good bench with Vic being out. Can't wait to be wrong though :)

Go Pacers.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Re: Bench production 

Post#2 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:43 pm

Obviously whoever comes off the bench between Lamb and Warren when Vic comes back will be the most productive. But until then, I like Justin Holiday's game. Not convinced 4th Holiday beats out McConnel. Will be interesting to see how that shakes out. 2nd unit front line concerns me a lot. I think you will see a big stagger with Domas and Myles minutes so one is always on the floor. But when injuries or foul trouble become and issue we are razor thin.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,196

Post#3 » by boomershadow » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:54 pm

Well, our depth does look a lot better on the wing once Oladipo gets back. Point guard I'm not worried about. At center, Goga might be a rookie, but surely a guy who has played in the Euroleague can manage the 3rd string garbage time minutes/occasional backup in the event of injuries role.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,021

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:21 pm

boomershadow wrote:Well, our depth does look a lot better on the wing once Oladipo gets back. Point guard I'm not worried about. At center, Goga might be a rookie, but surely a guy who has played in the Euroleague can manage the 3rd string garbage time minutes/occasional backup in the event of injuries role.

Nate has already named his lineups:
Starting for now: Brogdon, Lamb, Warren, Sabonis, Turner (obviously Oladipo will replace either Lamb or Warren in the lineup)
Bench for now: Holiday, Sumner, McDermott, Leaf, Goga
3rd string: McConnell, Holiday, Sampson, Alize

If Goga is just getting 3rd string, garbage time minutes, then that would imply that Leaf and Warren are eating up the rest of the minutes at the 4/5.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,196

Post#5 » by boomershadow » Thu Oct 3, 2019 7:54 pm

Scoot wrote:
Starting for now: Brogdon, Lamb, Warren, Sabonis, Turner (obviously Oladipo will replace either Lamb or Warren in the lineup)

I had not heard that.

Wow. That's actually like....what I was hoping for. That's weird. I thought we would likely see A. Holiday over McConnell, but I wasn't sure about it. Very pleasantly surprised at seeing Sumner over the other Holiday and at Goga getting a full second unit slot instead of seeing them stagger Turner and Sabonis.

But I like it.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Oct 4, 2019 1:29 am

boomershadow wrote:
Scoot wrote:

I had not heard that.

Wow. That's actually like....what I was hoping for. That's weird. I thought we would likely see A. Holiday over McConnell, but I wasn't sure about it. Very pleasantly surprised at seeing Sumner over the other Holiday and at Goga getting a full second unit slot instead of seeing them stagger Turner and Sabonis.

But I like it.

Yeah, it was from video of the first practice and scrimmage the other week, and as the lineups ran, he said that those are his lineups to start the season (obviously, camp could change that, but to start, that's what he's seeing). It appears that Sumner will have to hold off Justin Holiday, and when Vic comes back, who knows what will happen. He also mentioned that Warren could play some 4, but that Leaf and Goga would really be the primary pieces there off the bench.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#7 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Oct 4, 2019 12:49 pm

boomershadow wrote:
Scoot wrote:

I had not heard that.

But I like it.

I still think you will see a lot of stagger with Domas and Turner. But expect Leaf and Goga to get some burn.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#8 » by Wizop » Fri Oct 4, 2019 1:08 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:I still think you will see a lot of stagger with Domas and Turner. But expect Leaf and Goga to get some burn.

I really hope not. stagger means Sabonis is still playing the 5. now certainly there will be nights where injuries or foul trouble or even match-ups dictate this, but Sabonis at 5 means someone else is at the 4. I really hope the big lineup works and Turner can get 30 at the 5 and Sabonis can get 30 at the 4. that leaves 18 mostly for Goga and Leaf.

now a possibility exists that Leaf will outplay Goga at the backup 5. Coach has tended to bring rookies along slowly. I can see Leaf being a better option at 5 than Sabonis not that he plays the position better but because Sabonis needs to concentrate on becoming a 4.

game time in 30 minutes.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#9 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Oct 4, 2019 1:15 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:I still think you will see a lot of stagger with Domas and Turner. But expect Leaf and Goga to get some burn.

I really hope not. stagger means Sabonis is still playing the 5. now certainly there will be nights where injuries or foul trouble or even match-ups dictate this, but Sabonis at 5 means someone else is at the 4. I really hope the big lineup works and Turner can get 30 at the 5 and Sabonis can get 30 at the 4. that leaves 18 mostly for Goga and Leaf.

now a possibility exists that Leaf will outplay Goga at the backup 5. Coach has tended to bring rookies along slowly. I can see Leaf being a better option at 5 than Sabonis not that he plays the position better but because Sabonis needs to concentrate on becoming a 4.

game time in 30 minutes.

Not necessarily. If Domas subs out then Leaf comes in at the 4. Myles subs out and Goga comes in. Then guys stay at the 4 and 5. I just think (maybe wrong, probably wrong) we will see some stagger so one of them is always on the floor.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#10 » by Wizop » Fri Oct 4, 2019 10:58 pm

Goga has sprained ankle so Domas played a lot of 5 today. Heard he played 4 for Lithuania.

Sent from my phone.
Pacersike
Analyst

Post#11 » by Pacersike » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:26 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Nate has already named his lineups:

That's 4 players who have to prove that they deserve those minutes.

Confidence vote by our coach, impressive but too generous IMO. He prefers the vets as safety plan in case we don't win enough games with this lineup. I wouldn't. McConnell and his point guard skills, Justin and his veteran perimeter defense, Jakar and his smallball 4 profile, none of those 3 qualities are obviously present in his 10 men roster.

There is no way his lineup will last long, experience is too important too win games. He can't decide which youngsters are more likely to deserve those minutes so they will have to battle it out on the court and experience it there. When I put it like this, it seems like the fairest way to evaluate them all. By giving them a fair chance to show in regular season games why they should belong, because every other measurement tool doesn't compare to giving someone an actual chance in regular season games. Not preseason, not training camp. Only 110 games truly matter.

I love it when I change my mind during typing :lol: Thank you Nate for making me think about the possible positives of your decision :)
Wizop
RealGM

Post#12 » by Wizop » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:11 pm

Pacersike wrote:There is no way his lineup will last long

like past half time of opening night? I expect Nate will have the hook ready in the early season. now Goga and Leaf almost have to play as we really don't have options short of going small ball and with the first unit playing big and Nate not usually into full hockey substitutions I think we'll try to stay big at the 4 and 5.

I think Sumner has real potential and with Vic out the minutes are there for him should he rise to the challenge. He can play 1 or 2 and even 3 in some situations. actually we have a lot of guys who can play on the wing whether we call them 2's or 3's. only McConnell is a pure 1 and I'll be surprised if he hasn't already earned 12 to 20 minutes a game. if so, don't be surprised to see Brogdon playing 2 beside him.

and if Vic is Vic, and he certainly might not be until next year, I can see a real competition between Lamb and McDermott for 2nd unit minutes.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#13 » by pacers33granger » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:31 pm

Pacersike wrote:That's 4 players who have to prove that they deserve those minutes.

Imo its 5. Doug needs to prove he deserves minutes over Justin Holiday.
Pacersike
Analyst

Post#14 » by Pacersike » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:31 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacersike wrote:There is no way his lineup will last long

like past half time of opening night?

Possible, but it could take a bit longer too, first games in november, it depends on wins and how easily the starters make us forget a struggling bench. With so little experience on his bench unit, it is bound to happen though, I think.

And earlier too. It is very hard to justify not playing McConnell in the first game. Let's see how Nate handles it. Aaron is the future but hasn't showed much in recent past.
Pacersike
Analyst

Post#15 » by Pacersike » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:41 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Pacersike wrote:That's 4 players who have to prove that they deserve those minutes.

Imo its 5. Doug needs to prove he deserves minutes over Justin Holiday.

To me it is a matter of preference, do we prefer an efficient scorer and not much else over a very good defender and not much else or otherwise or why not play them both?

I'm not expecting significant improvement from either guy, 27 and 30 years old and I think both deserve bench minutes. Other players on our roster will have to take the leap, like Leaf.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#16 » by Wizop » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:51 pm

Pacersike wrote:Aaron is the future but hasn't showed much in recent past.

if ever.
Assistant Coach
And1: 598

Post#17 » by 8305 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:02 am

I think Leaf will be fine. I thought his production last season merited more minutes. He was just the odd guy out. If Gaga initially isn’t up to the task I could see a three man rotation at the 4 and 5 of Myles, Domas and Leaf. Doug McD will also be fine at the backup 3. The interesting story will be Sumner and A Holiday. They are both at the point in their careers where they need to be thrown in the deep end. There will be rough patches but, they should have the opportunity that allows for mistakes. If they are worried about mistakes leading to the bench their play will suffer. The good news is if they struggle J Holiday and TJ look like excellent options.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#18 » by Wizop » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:37 pm

we have 3 TJ's. I predict McConnell will turn out to be the best of the group, but we need Warren to prove me wrong.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:16 pm

Wizop wrote:we have 3 TJ's. I predict McConnell will turn out to be the best of the group, but we need Warren to prove me wrong.

Check out Shams Charania's article today on the Athletic. He mentioned Warren as a league wide favorite to "break out" this season. Warren also said all the right things in "team first", "win and the production will follow", and talked about just really wanting to play in the playoffs and win, and prove himself as a guy that can help a good team win.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#20 » by Wizop » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:08 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Check out Shams Charania's article today on the Athletic.

he had a surprisingly long bit on Warren given that he isn't our beat reporter. well I shouldn't be surprised. what I really like about theAthletic is the reporters don't have an editor saying "you need to cut 800 words out of this so we have room for the ads on this page." the articles are just longer - more complete.

Return to Indiana Pacers