Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Woj: Pacers pick up 4th year option on TJ Leaf 

Post#1 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Not really a surprise. Option is for $4.33m for his final year. We’re in a position where we’d be over the cap either way, but far enough under the tax either way to keep Dom and Alize pretty easily.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Re: Woj: Pacers pick up 4th year option on TJ Leaf 

Post#2 » by pacers33granger » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:32 pm

No surprise here and no surprise that they also picked up Holiday's 3rd year option:

Read on Twitter

Hopefully this means we'll see a Domas extension soon too.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#3 » by Wizop » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:24 pm

pacers33granger wrote:Hopefully this means we'll see a Domas extension soon too.

could happen but I don't see how this has anything to do with that. independent considerations.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#4 » by pacers33granger » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:27 pm

Wizop wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:Hopefully this means we'll see a Domas extension soon too.

could happen but I don't see how this has anything to do with that. independent considerations.

All housekeeping moves and timing makes sense for all with international play being over and the guys coming back from India. And Woj recently said that the Myles extension number is one to watch for Domas, indicating it may be coming soon.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#5 » by Wizop » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:39 pm

pacers33granger wrote:All housekeeping moves and timing makes sense for all with international play being over and the guys coming back from India. And Woj recently said that the Myles extension number is one to watch for Domas, indicating it may be coming soon.

how much and when are separate. Scoot has previously explained often that Myles was hard to trade last year because of an obscure Base Compensation Rule in the CBA. the same rule would apply to Damos this year if we extend him before the season. I know that I've not read anyone saying this other than myself, but extending Damos forces us to make the two bigs lineup work as the extension would make it very difficult to trade him mid-season to a team that wants him to be a center. on the other hand, not extending him could make it difficult to resign him at the end of his contract should he flop as a 4. no easy answer here but I think it is true that if we extend him now and decide mid-season that we need to trade Myles or Damos, we will be forced to move Myles unless we wait until next summer to make the trade.

of course, it is possible that no one is thinking about these issues and the only reason we haven't worked out a new deal is that he was playing out of the country all summer. it's also possible that Damos is looking at all of the contracts that are bigger than Myles' and demanding more.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#6 » by pacers33granger » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:49 pm

Wizop wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:All housekeeping moves and timing makes sense for all with international play being over and the guys coming back from India. And Woj recently said that the Myles extension number is one to watch for Domas, indicating it may be coming soon.

how much and when are separate. Scoot has previously explained often that Myles was hard to trade last year because of an obscure Base Compensation Rule in the CBA. the same rule would apply to Damos this year if we extend him before the season. I know that I've not read anyone saying this other than myself, but extending Damos forces us to make the two bigs lineup work as the extension would make it very difficult to trade him mid-season to a team that wants him to be a center. on the other hand, not extending him could make it difficult to resign him at the end of his contract should he flop as a 4. no easy answer here but I think it is true that if we extend him now and decide mid-season that we need to trade Myles or Damos, we will be forced to move Myles unless we wait until next summer to make the trade.

of course, it is possible that no one is thinking about these issues and the only reason we haven't worked out a new deal is that he was playing out of the country all summer. it's also possible that Damos is looking at all of the contracts that are bigger than Myles' and demanding more.

The implication was that the sides were working towards a deal as I understood it.

But yeah the BYC thing makes it near impossible to work a trade but it seems the team is 100% invested in trying to make this work. I mean we really don't even have another viable PF option on the team as Alize is too raw, Leaf is iffy there for more than bench minutes, and Sampson is a 13-15th man.

But even if he just doesn't work as a PF, he still gets to start and we can just stagger his minutes with Myles. Goga should see time, but he's still a rookie and who knows what we have with him. Obviously makes it tough where Domas wants to start if he's bad at PF and we need to figure something out though.

One thing to note is that next year's free agent crop is bad and is getting worse with many of the unrestricted guys taking extensions. Domas would likely be one of the top free agents on the market so lockign him up now should be a priority. I think he could easily get over $20 mil from someone even if he has a down year.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#7 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:49 pm

Wizop wrote:

Yeah it's the Poison Pill Provision. His contract for 2018-19 was still a rookie scale but the next season jumps to $18 million. I say we give Sabonis his extension similar to what Turner got and give him the year to see how well he does. If it's a disaster he could be traded next summer.

I believe the way it works is you have to take the current season's salary and average it with the 4 years of the new contract then apply the trade to the 125% rule.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:10 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Yeah it's the Poison Pill Provision. His contract for 2018-19 was still a rookie scale but the next season jumps to $18 million. I say we give Sabonis his extension similar to what Turner got and give him the year to see how well he does. If it's a disaster he could be traded next summer.

I believe the way it works is you have to take the current season's salary and average it with the 4 years of the new contract then apply the trade to the 125% rule.

In terms of salary matching, that is how the “receiving salary” for the tram trading for Dom would be handled. However, the outgoing salary for salary matching for us would just be Dom’s actual salary this year ($3.53m).

That gap is why it’s tough to trade these Poison Pill players.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#9 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:24 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Wizop wrote:

In terms of salary matching, that is how the “receiving salary” for the tram trading for Dom would be handled. However, the outgoing salary for salary matching for us would just be Dom’s actual salary this year ($3.53m).

That gap is why it’s tough to trade these Poison Pill players.

Yes that's right. That is why it's next to impossible to trade a guy with a ppp!
Wizop
RealGM

Post#10 » by Wizop » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:03 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:Yes that's right. That is why it's next to impossible to trade a guy with a ppp!

which in turn is why I'm saying that if the Pacers think they may need to trade Sabonis mid-season, they could choose not to extend him as that would make him a poison pill. conversely, if they do extend him, we can put a quick end to most Sabonis proposals in the Trade Forum. a corollary would be that an extension of Sabonis means any mid-season "they can't play together trade" would involve Myles - and I don't see Myles being shopped.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#11 » by Jake0890 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:32 am

Yeah not too much of a surprise with either Holiday or Leaf given the cap situation.

Big make it or break it year for Leaf. Feels like that's been said before, lol.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#12 » by boomershadow » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:34 pm

I'm super excited to see Leaf in the rotation going into the year. We really need to see what we have here.

Return to Indiana Pacers