With 3 more cuts, roster is finalized

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,021

With 3 more cuts, roster is finalized 

Post#1 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:11 pm

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2019/10/16/pacers-waive-amida-brimah-c-j-wilcox-walt-lemon-jr-finalize-roster/4002417002/

Brimah, Wilcox, and Walt Lemon (who was recently signed after Gant was waived a couple days ago) were waived to cut down to 15.

Bowen and Naz Mitrou-Long are the 2 way players.

Final Roster is:
Brogdon/McConell/Holiday
Oladipo(injured)/Lamb/Sumner
Warren/McDermott/Holiday/Sampson
Sabonis/Leaf/Alize Johnson
Turner/Goga
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Re: With 3 more cuts, roster is finalized 

Post#2 » by Jake0890 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:11 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Final Roster is:
Brogdon/Holiday/McConnell
Oladipo(injured)/Lamb/Sumner
Warren/McDermott/Holiday/Sampson
Sabonis/Leaf/Alize Johnson
Turner/Goga

Fixed that for ya, Scoot. :wink:
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#3 » by Wizop » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:32 pm

there is every reason to believe that all three of the cut players were signed to give the Ants their rights without having to pick them in the G-League draft.

I'm with Scoot in thinking MCConnell is ahead of AHoliday.

I think Sampson is more of a 4 than a 3. Alize could be the 3. however, if either gets significant minutes, it will mean Leaf or Goga is struggling.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:05 pm

Wizop wrote:there is every reason to believe that all three of the cut players were signed to give the Ants their rights without having to pick them in the G-League draft.

I think Sampson is more of a 4 than a 3. Alize could be the 3. however, if either gets significant minutes, it will mean Leaf or Goga is struggling.

It was more of an inadvertent listing, but yeah. I see McConnell and AHoliday as a tossup depending on the matchups.

I see Sampson and Alize as pretty interchangeable in terms of where they're listed. They're both probably more of 4/3's for us than 3/4's, and I just kind of listed one each at 3 and 4 just to split them. And agreed on the Leaf/Goga assumption. I think Goga will have to earn some minutes going forward with the injury and just adjustment to the NBA. I see Alize as being on kind of the Sumner path of "long-term development", but I'd love to see him more on the NBA level than in Ft. Wayne. Leaf, I'm hopeful on, but staying tempered. But, he could play some "mobile 5" this year too, if we think that Sampson or Alize can help us a bit more at times at the 4.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:08 pm

Also, in the end of training camp and before the seasons starts churning of rosters across the NBA in order to try and acquire G-League rights, or get guys in on Exhibit 10's so we can pay them a bonus for signing with OUR G-League team, we signed Stephan Hicks again. Look for him to be waived before the required cutdown to 15.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#6 » by Jake0890 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:28 pm

Wizop wrote:there is every reason to believe that all three of the cut players were signed to give the Ants their rights without having to pick them in the G-League draft.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2019/10/13/indiana-pacers-tj-mcconnell-energy-deep-guard-group-aaron-holiday/3895732002/

“But we made it clear when we recruited him that his role, Aaron was going to be that guy that started as far as the backup. He wasn’t coming here to compete for minutes, and he understood he’d be the third guard, but we want him to push our guards. In doing that, he’ll probably get the opportunity to play.”

Everything that the Pacers have said this off-season indicates Aaron is the backup to begin the season with McConnell as the 3rd PG. I'm not sure that there's any evidence to the contrary.

At the very least, that's how we'll be starting the season.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,196

Post#7 » by boomershadow » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:19 pm

Once Nate says a thing, he is usually pretty stubborn about sticking to it. If he said Holiday is the backup, I dont see that changing easily. Something is really gonna have to happen to change it permanently.

I think the McConnell signing will still prove valuable over the course of the season though.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#8 » by Wizop » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:03 pm

Jake0890 wrote:Everything that the Pacers have said this off-season indicates Aaron is the backup to begin the season with McConnell as the 3rd PG. I'm not sure that there's any evidence to the contrary.

doesn't their play in the preseason count as evidence? I agree that there are no public statements to the contrary but I'd be careful about putting Pritchard's words in McMillan's mouth.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.

Return to Indiana Pacers