Sabonis

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Sabonis 

Post#1 » by Wizop » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:28 pm

Athletic says we're far apart on extension and testing trade market.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,196

Re: Sabonis 

Post#2 » by boomershadow » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:35 pm

I can't really tell what anybody is really worth these days with the way that salaries have inflated the last few years.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#3 » by Moooose » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:16 pm

Wizop wrote:Athletic says we're far apart on extension and testing trade market.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my phone.

This has been one of my biggest worries for the team coming into this season. Pacers want to keep Domas for sure, but surely not for cheap. In addition, we do not even how if he and Myles would co-exist in the starting unit as expected.

I hope the Pacers work on that extension and keep Domas. Trade him (or even Myles) soon after if the frontcourt rotation fails. Either of them should still have decent trade value but it lessens flexibility.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#4 » by Wizop » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:24 pm

Moooose wrote:I hope the Pacers work on that extension and keep Domas. Trade him (or even Myles) soon after if the frontcourt rotation fails. Either of them should still have decent trade value but it lessens flexibility.

Once extended he's a poison pill. Once experiment fails, it's a buyer's market.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,269

Post#5 » by Jstock12 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:21 am

Well it's been fun
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,857

Post#6 » by jayu70 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:25 am

What is the asking price?
Moooose
Starter

Post#7 » by Moooose » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:04 am

Wizop wrote:
Moooose wrote:I hope the Pacers work on that extension and keep Domas. Trade him (or even Myles) soon after if the frontcourt rotation fails. Either of them should still have decent trade value but it lessens flexibility.

Sent from my phone.

If the Turner - Sabonis tandem fails, then it is a poison pill. But how ready are the Pacers to unload him? They better have a back-up plan for this. It stood out like dog balls since we got Myles extended.
OnFire
Junior
And1: 27

Post#8 » by OnFire » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:04 am

Moooose wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Sent from my phone.

If the Turner - Sabonis tandem fails, then it is a poison pill. But how ready are the Pacers to unload him? They better have a back-up plan for this. It stood out like dog balls since we got Myles extended.

It makes a lot of sense now that we drafted Goga.

Read somewhere that we'd be asking for picks since Domas's salary isn't that hard to move right now.

That said, I'm a bit bummed that this is the news a week to opening day. Was locked-in to seeing us ride the Myles-Domas pairing for the season since that's been the talk most of last year.

If ever it happens, hope we get good return. Domas has been good for us. #YouGotThisKP
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#9 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:18 am

Warren, McDermott, Sabonis for Harrison Barnes? Barnes and Giles?
Moooose
Starter

Post#10 » by Moooose » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:52 am

OnFire wrote:It makes a lot of sense now that we drafted Goga.

Read somewhere that we'd be asking for picks since Domas's salary isn't that hard to move right now.

That said, I'm a bit bummed that this is the news a week to opening day. Was locked-in to seeing us ride the Myles-Domas pairing for the season since that's been the talk most of last year.

If ever it happens, hope we get good return. Domas has been good for us. #YouGotThisKP

Possibly. But we also drafted Goga for some reasons - 1) we were lacking depth at center at the time of the draft and 2) he is the best player available at our draft position. I really can't see him fitting next to Myles. That would be a nightmare having to chase stretch 4's. If Goga was the plan, it seems to me that it is Myles who is under KP's watch.

Aside from the Goga theory, the Pacers better have this sorted out in the offseason. And oh, I do think we need a starting 4 in case Domas leaves. TJ Warren can play some 4 but not at full time.
Moooose
Starter

Post#11 » by Moooose » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:54 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Warren, McDermott, Sabonis for Harrison Barnes? Barnes and Giles?

In the words of the great Leigh Ellis, No, thank you.
Moooose
Starter

Post#12 » by Moooose » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:01 am

If we are to trade Domas, I hope it wouldn't be a major shake-up. The offseason's been one of our busiest in recent history and I think the Pacers did exceptionally good. If Domas leaves, I hope the Pacers would be able to get someone who can co-exist with Turner in the starting lineup just like Thad Young.

Initially, players I hope we can get for him are Jonathan Isaac from Orlando or Zach Collins from Portland.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,897

Post#13 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:31 am

Wizop wrote:

Sent from my phone.

IF he's extended the PPP will make him impossible to trade this season.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,897

Post#14 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:37 am

If Sabonis is traded allow Thad to walk becomes a stupendous blunder.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#15 » by Pacersike » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:36 am

Don't know the numbers, so not much to say. Not surprised though, Sabonis never got 25 minutes a game and Sabonis best position is taken by someone already having a big contract.

Honeymoon is over though, if coach will decide in games that only 1 of Turner and Sabonis should be on the court, 1 of them will not be happy. Especially to finish games.

About a possible trade, I assume the trade demands from both teams will also be far apart right now and will not lower till teams get thrown into the harsh reality of regular seasons wins.

The positive part is that the Sabonis camp has great confidence that Sabonis is a very special player, up to him now to show it to us.
reflex35
Rookie
And1: 672

Post#16 » by reflex35 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:39 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Warren, McDermott, Sabonis for Harrison Barnes? Barnes and Giles?

Harrison Barnes? :nonono:
That would be a huge mistake. Kings are already regretting his contract!

Who would you pay more ? Domas or Barnes?
Barnes is now getting 88 mil per 4 years.. If Pacers do not give Domas that and instead are willing to trade him for Barnes then it's really something wrong...
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,196

Post#17 » by boomershadow » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:01 am

I say extend him already even if he is wanting like 4/100. I'm pretty confident that the Turner/Sabonis pairing is going to work out, but that poison pill stuff for trades is really only for this season. If the pairing absolutely doesn't work, they can always return him to his backup roll with minimal shared minutes with Turner and trade him in the off season.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#18 » by winter_mute_13 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:39 am

Smells of a negotiating tactic to me... extend or we'll trade you.

"Listening to trade offers" doesn't mean much. In theory, the team should be listening to trade offers for every player. Typical trade offers are of the lowball variety... maybe the team hopes to jumpstart some better offers?

Anyway, I don't see any irreparable breakdown here, assuming the team really is willing to pay out Turner money to Sabonis. If an extension doesn't get done, the team will still have RFA rights for leverage. Another team may be willing to pay more than Turner money, but I can't imagine it will be a lot more.

EDIT: "high asking price" kind of suggests which side leaked this
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,269

Post#19 » by Jstock12 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:31 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:If Sabonis is traded allow Thad to walk becomes a stupendous blunder.

Yeah been reading a lot of stuff on reddit and twitter and nobody actually mentioned this. Making Sabonis a starter is the sole reason why Thad, arguably the team's MVP last year, is no longer on the roster.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 921

Post#20 » by Tom White » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:29 pm

winter_mute_13 wrote:Smells of a negotiating tactic to me... extend or we'll trade you.

"Listening to trade offers" doesn't mean much. In theory, the team should be listening to trade offers for every player. Typical trade offers are of the lowball variety... maybe the team hopes to jumpstart some better offers?

Anyway, I don't see any irreparable breakdown here, assuming the team really is willing to pay out Turner money to Sabonis. If an extension doesn't get done, the team will still have RFA rights for leverage. Another team may be willing to pay more than Turner money, but I can't imagine it will be a lot more.

EDIT: "high asking price" kind of suggests which side leaked this

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Best post in this thread.

Return to Indiana Pacers