Read on Twitter

Our short, regional nightmare is over.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,021

Re: Shams and Woj: Sabonis extends 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:10 pm

Looks to be essentially the same deal as Myles, with one year of very small inflation (or slightly less if Myles hits his currently unlikely bonuses)
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,269

Post#3 » by Jstock12 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:13 pm

Well there you have it. Domas wasn't asking for the max, the Pacers were just lowballing him.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#4 » by Wizop » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:18 pm

Read on Twitter
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#5 » by Wizop » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:21 pm

Jstock12 wrote:Well there you have it. Domas wasn't asking for the max, the Pacers were just lowballing him.

that's speculative. I'm treating all leaks with a grain of salt figuring they came from his agent. they could have been close all along and only hung up on incentives and options, if any.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,196

Post#6 » by boomershadow » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:23 pm

Oh good.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#7 » by Moooose » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:23 pm

Jstock12 wrote:Well there you have it. Domas wasn't asking for the max, the Pacers were just lowballing him.

I personally do not think the Pacers were lowballing Domas. What good will it bring to him and the franchise? It could be that Domas' party is asking for bigger money, but not necessarily a max contract.

Seeing what Jaylen Brown and Buddy Hield just had, I think the difference between the actual contract and Domas' asking price isn't that unreasonable. But sure, above all it's a business and so little things matter.
Jstock12
RealGM

Post#8 » by Jstock12 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:23 pm

Wizop wrote:

that's speculative. I'm treating all leaks with a grain of salt figuring they came from his agent. they could have been close all along and only hung up on incentives and options, if any.

Fair enough.
Jstock12
RealGM

Post#9 » by Jstock12 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:24 pm

Question: do bonuses/incentives count against the cap?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:31 pm

Jstock12 wrote:Question: do bonuses/incentives count against the cap?

If they’re likely to achieve, then yes. By that, I mean did they achieve those standards the previous year. If he achieves them in a future year, the next year cap number would grow because then that bonus would be classified as likely. Bonuses are recalculated every year for the next years cap number and the only factor on likely vs unlikely is if they achieved those standards the previous season.
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 465

Post#11 » by granger05 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:57 pm

I'm very happy about this deal. I hope that Turner and Sabonis can gel together and share the court. Even if that doesn't come to pass, I think that this extension makes Sabonis a much more attractive trade piece since it's a relatively cheap deal for a young player that's put up good numbers thus far.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#12 » by pacers33granger » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:58 pm

I think this is a fair deal for both sides. Glad we were able to get it done.

Means we've basically got Brogdon, Myles, Domas, Warren, Lamb, Sumner, Holiday, and Goga for a rough total of $87-90 mil for 3 years. Makes paying Vic easy and gives us flexibility, though it remains to be seen how good that team is.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#13 » by Pacersike » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:15 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Fair enough.

Hold on, Sabonis wasn't happy with what was offered and now he extends? Because the offer is lower now? Because the offer is the same but Sabonis caves in? Were his "reactions" not his?

How is this not a case of Pacers first trying something low and then take it a bit higher to try to meet in the middle? How much the first offer really was, will likely stay a mystery, but after Turner this is another steal by the Pacers. A lower offer is lowballing him.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#14 » by Pacersike » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:23 pm

Awesome.

That's a steal from our team. Very similar to Turners contract because of the annual inflation.

Our FO willing to admit that they are very close in value and keeping the debate alive for those who want to indicate a significantly better player. :D
Wizop
RealGM

Post#15 » by Wizop » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:02 pm

Pacersike wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Fair enough.

Hold on, Sabonis wasn't happy with what was offered and now he extends? Because the offer is lower now? Because the offer is the same but Sabonis caves in? Were his "reactions" not his?

How is this not a case of Pacers first trying something low and then take it a bit higher to try to meet in the middle? How much the first offer really was, will likely stay a mystery, but after Turner this is another steal by the Pacers. A lower offer is lowballing him.
We don't know if he was unhappy because the money was low or because he thought the team wanted to trade him and he wanted to stay.

Sent from my phone.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#16 » by Wizop » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:39 pm

Sure smiling now.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my phone.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,896

Post#17 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:48 pm

Outstanding deal for the team and for Dom! :onfire:
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 921

Post#18 » by Tom White » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:48 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Yeah. These guys you can trust info from (Shams and Woj). Sam Amick?..........Not so much.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,896

Post#19 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:50 pm

Moooose wrote:

I personally do not think the Pacers were lowballing Domas. What good will it bring to him and the franchise? It could be that Domas' party is asking for bigger money, but not necessarily a max contract.

Seeing what Jaylen Brown and Buddy Hield just had, I think the difference between the actual contract and Domas' asking price isn't that unreasonable. But sure, above all it's a business and so little things matter.

Jaylen Brown is not worth $40 million more than Sabonis! The Celtics are gonna regret that.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:55 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Yeah. These guys you can trust info from (Shams and Woj). Sam Amick?..........Not so much.

Sam Amick is really good. Sam Amico however is terrible.

I imagine we were listening to offers just in case, but nothing solid came in and we just stuck with our guy. Pritchard recently said they listen to everything and explore everything, and this was the last chance to possibly even listen on Dom for a year if they extend him now.

Return to Indiana Pacers