Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,269

Re: Shams and Woj: Sabonis extends 

Post#21 » by Jstock12 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:24 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Moooose wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:Well there you have it. Domas wasn't asking for the max, the Pacers were just lowballing him.

I personally do not think the Pacers were lowballing Domas. What good will it bring to him and the franchise? It could be that Domas' party is asking for bigger money, but not necessarily a max contract.

Seeing what Jaylen Brown and Buddy Hield just had, I think the difference between the actual contract and Domas' asking price isn't that unreasonable. But sure, above all it's a business and so little things matter.

Jaylen Brown is not worth $40 million more than Sabonis! The Celtics are gonna regret that.

I'm shocked by that deal for Brown. The Celtics made a gamble banking on potential alone, while the Pacers made a calculated move based on actual performance on the court.

Buddy Hield's extension seems fair though.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#22 » by Moooose » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:29 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Sam Amick is really good. Sam Amico however is terrible.

I imagine we were listening to offers just in case, but nothing solid came in and we just stuck with our guy. Pritchard recently said they listen to everything and explore everything, and this was the last chance to possibly even listen on Dom for a year if they extend him now.
[/quote]

I second that. I am an avid follower of Sam Amick back in his podcast days and he's a very good analyst too.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,133

Post#23 » by Nuntius » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:39 am

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Absolutely elated by these news. This is awesome!
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
OnFire
Junior
And1: 27

Post#24 » by OnFire » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:34 am

Nuntius wrote::rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Absolutely elated by these news. This is awesome!

In fact, SI.com lists us as Winners in their Winners and Losers List of Rookie-Scale Extensions

Winner: Pacers

Signing Sabonis gives Indy a longer look at the Myles Turner-Sabonis frontcourt pairing before ultimately deciding how to handle the situation. The returns so far haven’t been optimal, but maybe the newish-look roster makes more sense this season when Victor Oladipo finally returns. If not, the Pacers can try to trade one of their big men, and the return for whoever is theoretically shipped out will be much better if they are under contract. It would have been tough for Indy to either trade Sabonis on a semi-expiring deal or put up with a huge offer sheet next summer. In this scenario, everyone involved still has a chance to make it work on a team that could be sneaky good if Oladipo returns sooner rather than later. At the very least, Sabonis got the money he deserved.

Full article here: https://www.si.com/nba/2019/10/21/winners-losers-rookie-scale-contract-extensions
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,196

Post#25 » by boomershadow » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:14 am

Wizop wrote:Sure smiling now.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my phone.

I'd be pretty happy too if I just made 75 million dollars.
Darknemo2000
Veteran
And1: 1,685

Post#26 » by Darknemo2000 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:34 am

boomershadow wrote:
Wizop wrote:Sure smiling now.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my phone.

I'd be pretty happy too if I just made 75 million dollars.

Its still a good deal for Pacers though. Think his market value is around 80 million. Certainly not overpay like in Browns case with Celtics.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#27 » by Wizop » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:31 pm

Per Hollinger on theAthletic:

"Note that Indiana didn’t put annual raises in his deal until the final season — it’s a flat $18.5 million per year until 2022-23 rises to $19.4 million."
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#28 » by winter_mute_13 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:39 pm

Hell yeah. Best news all day. Thanks Domas and Pacers for getting it done.

As for the things said/leaked during negotiations, well as they say it's a business, got to take all that with a grain of salt.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#29 » by winter_mute_13 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:44 pm

Btw from the trade board:

Read on Twitter

Domas' contract can potentially go up from $75m to $85m, depending on bonuses.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,021

Post#30 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:05 pm

Wizop wrote:Per Hollinger on theAthletic:

"Note that Indiana didn’t put annual raises in his deal until the final season — it’s a flat $18.5 million per year until 2022-23 rises to $19.4 million."

Love the fiscal certainty.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#31 » by Jake0890 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:01 am

This is a nice deal for both sides I think.

It is weird to me that all of the reporting was about how "far apart" the Pacers and Sabonis were... and then we reached a reasonable contract anyway. I guess the incentives were really what changed his mind, I dunno...
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#32 » by Wizop » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:30 pm

Jake0890 wrote:This is a nice deal for both sides I think.

It is weird to me that all of the reporting was about how "far apart" the Pacers and Sabonis were... and then we reached a reasonable contract anyway. I guess the incentives were really what changed his mind, I dunno...

I think we were just never that far apart and the anxiety Damos seemed to express over the weekend was more related to not wanting to be traded than over money. the final result is very similar to Turner's with a small bump perhaps reflecting the increase in the cap.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,021

Post#33 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:50 pm

Wizop wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:This is a nice deal for both sides I think.

I think we were just never that far apart and the anxiety Damos seemed to express over the weekend was more related to not wanting to be traded than over money. the final result is very similar to Turner's with a small bump perhaps reflecting the increase in the cap.

Yup. It’s pretty much the same contract except one year of cap inflation (and a small balloon on the final season that Myles doesn’t have). Otherwise, even the incentives are pretty similar.

According to my reading of the incentives, the total is split evenly between All Star and All NBA. It appears he can only max his yearly incentive if he makes both (which, sure! I’m happy to pay him an extra almost $3m a year if he’s an all star and all nba player!).

Return to Indiana Pacers