Interior Defense?

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Pacercoltboiler
Freshman
And1: 46

Interior Defense? 

Post#1 » by Pacercoltboiler » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:42 pm

I know Thad was a good player, but I don't think his absence explains our interior defensive breakdowns. Even if Sabonis struggles at the 4, it does not explain why Myles is out of position to defend the paint. I can actually see Turners increased confidence, so it really puzzles me. I'm not ragging on the roster changes, that can be another thread, but it seems like their is some rotational problem.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Re: Interior Defense? 

Post#2 » by pacers33granger » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:24 pm

The problem seems to stem from Myles and Domas trying to figure out where each guy is supposed to be and the best positioning. Domas is learning a new position and has a lot to work on defending quicker PFs.

Myles, for all his talent, is pretty dependent on the other 4 guys. He plays within an offense so much better and will always have issues creating, no matter how many HOF bigs he works out with. On defense he benefited from the continuity of guys the past 2 years knowing when they could gamble and how to feed guys into him. Domas is he only non-new starter and he's learning defense at his position, so no one on the court knows how to work with Myles defensively yet.

All that plus the fact that Warren is a bad defender, Domas is at his position (hopefully only for now), Brogdon will struggle with quicker guards at times, and Sumner is still raw and prone to mistakes will continue to make it more difficult for Myles than he's used to.

It also doesn't help that Drummond always torches him and looks better this year.
Pacercoltboiler
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#3 » by Pacercoltboiler » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:17 pm

I never thought about anticipating what everyone else is doing. That gives me some hope they can adjust. Sure would be nice to have some defense on the wings. No wonder Myles has no idea where people are coming from.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 921

Post#4 » by Tom White » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:20 pm

Pacercoltboiler wrote:I never thought about anticipating what everyone else is doing. That gives me some hope they can adjust. Sure would be nice to have some defense on the wings. No wonder Myles has no idea where people are coming from.

Along with that, they have yet to develop trust in each other (meaning ALL of the guys)....at either end of the floor. That is only going to come with time and familiarity.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#5 » by Pacersike » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 pm

Tom White wrote:
Pacercoltboiler wrote:I never thought about anticipating what everyone else is doing. That gives me some hope they can adjust. Sure would be nice to have some defense on the wings. No wonder Myles has no idea where people are coming from.

Along with that, they have yet to develop trust in each other (meaning ALL of the guys)....at either end of the floor. That is only going to come with time and familiarity.

True, but it's always a combination of experience and talent. Environment and individual performance.

We did pretty much downgrade every other position with the experience of Darren, Thad obviously, BoBo and Oladipo.
So this leaves Turner in a spot where he has to do (much) more and we can get a different look on how a wanna be DPOY deals with it. There will always be unique situations in games that have never happened before or haven't been teached, so it requires thinking on the spot and taking the right decisions based on individual awareness.

If you want to look for outside factors to explain the weakness, that's absolutely correct, but don't forget about the inside factor. Turner can make smarter decisions himself and studying opponents harder than everyone else doesn't necessarily mean he will become a very smart defender like Roy Hibbert for example. IMO his defensive awareness has never been good enough for DPOY but in a few years with much more experience, it is perfectly possible. This roster is a great possibility to learn a lot, to end on a positive note :)
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#6 » by pacers33granger » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:52 pm

One thing I'd note with Turner is he may have been told by coaches to tone down chasing blocks. Could explain the odd hesitance in the first few games.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#7 » by Moooose » Fri Nov 1, 2019 11:04 am

pacers33granger wrote:One thing I'd note with Turner is he may have been told by coaches to tone down chasing blocks. Could explain the odd hesitance in the first few games.

To avoid getting into foul trouble? Watching Myles so far this season it seems like something is wrong with him defensively. He jumps late or he doesn't contest at all. The Detroit game was a disaster for him.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,196

Post#8 » by boomershadow » Fri Nov 1, 2019 12:25 pm

pacers33granger wrote:One thing I'd note with Turner is he may have been told by coaches to tone down chasing blocks. Could explain the odd hesitance in the first few games.

I don't know if I have any reason to think this is true, but if somehow it was true then those coaches definitely need to lose their jobs. "Hey Turner, we need you to stop doing the thing that is absolutely your best NBA skill" lol.

"We also need you to tone down the 3 point shooting. You're above 3 attempts per game this year, and we only really just wish you were Tristan Thompson."
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,021

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Nov 1, 2019 12:30 pm

boomershadow wrote:

I don't know if I have any reason to think this is true, but if somehow it was true then those coaches definitely need to lose their jobs. "Hey Turner, we need you to stop doing the thing that is absolutely your best NBA skill" lol.

"We also need you to tone down the 3 point shooting. You're above 3 attempts per game this year, and we only really just wish you were Tristan Thompson."

Myles should definitely be a Rim Defender and 3 pt shooter, with only an occasional post up based on advantages and situations. A mobile Sam Perkins, if you will. :wink:
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#10 » by pacers33granger » Fri Nov 1, 2019 2:10 pm

boomershadow wrote:

I wouldn't characterize it like that. Oftentimes last year he would be out of position because of a block attempt he was chasing that he really had no chance of. If we want him to ever be at least an ok defensive rebounder he has to pick and choose his spots.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#11 » by pacers33granger » Fri Nov 1, 2019 2:11 pm

Moooose wrote:

To avoid getting into foul trouble? Watching Myles so far this season it seems like something is wrong with him defensively. He jumps late or he doesn't contest at all. The Detroit game was a disaster for him.

Could be that, could also be he's tired from FIBA. It's the first year he played a decent amount during the summer and it clearly affects guys.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,260

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 4, 2019 4:32 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Indiana Pacers