Edmund Sumner

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Assistant Coach
And1: 598

Edmund Sumner 

Post#1 » by 8305 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:52 pm

Probably the only pleasant surprise through three games. I've always been intrigued by the potential. Point guard handle, wing size and length, above average NBA athlete, seems to embrace to role of elite defender and so far looks the part. Still wonder if he can shoot enough to keep the opposition honest?

With all that said three games in he looks like our 4th best player. More impacting that either Warren or Lamb. I wonder if before its all over he's not our 5th starter?

Thoughts/prediction on where you see this guys season going?
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Re: Edmund Sumner 

Post#2 » by Grang33r » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:07 am

I'm very intrigued. Not sure about predictions for him, but when he gets healthy i hope he gets some minutes with the second unit. I rate him over Holiday.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#3 » by Wizop » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:21 pm

I think I'd sit both Holiday and McConnell and just play Sumner, Lamb, and Brogdon until Vic comes back. Then I'd play Sumner and Lamb as the 2nd unit backcourt.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,021

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:34 pm

I think Sumner thrives in the well defined and minimized role he's playing now. The challenge role of "just earn minutes by playing hard and playing tough defense and the minutes will come", more so than maybe the Leaf and Holiday role of "backups by default".
DoubleEagle4
Sophomore
And1: 82

Post#5 » by DoubleEagle4 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:52 pm

Sounds like Sumner is going to miss at least 3 weeks with a broken hand... he seems to have a lot of bad luck with injuries.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 921

Post#6 » by Tom White » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:08 pm

DoubleEagle4 wrote:Sounds like Sumner is going to miss at least 3 weeks with a broken hand... he seems to have a lot of bad luck with injuries.

I've not seen anything about this. How did it happen?
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,196

Post#7 » by boomershadow » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:54 pm

Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by 8305 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:04 pm

Wizop wrote:I think I'd sit both Holiday and McConnell and just play Sumner, Lamb, and Brogdon until Vic comes back. Then I'd play Sumner and Lamb as the 2nd unit backcourt.

Do you think the coaches trust him to run the point without another ball handler on the floor? My guess is they don't.

Guess its moot for the next three weeks. If we ever get everyone healthy we have too many wings.
sg Vic, Jeremy, Sumner
sf Warren, McD, J Holiday
Holiday and Sumner are rotation level players who would be getting little to no run.

I see the need for a move to get a reliable third big.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 921

Post#9 » by Tom White » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:53 pm

boomershadow wrote:https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/10/31/pacers-myles-turner-edmond-sumner-out-weeks/

Wow! Darn tough for any team, let alone a team that is trying to get its footing with so many new players.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#10 » by Pacersike » Fri Nov 1, 2019 4:17 am

He's talented alright. And hurt so often, I don't really have him in my future Pacers plans.

If I was him, I would be already planning for a different job. There are some other beautiful jobs out there.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Nov 1, 2019 12:27 pm

8305 wrote:
Wizop wrote:I think I'd sit both Holiday and McConnell and just play Sumner, Lamb, and Brogdon until Vic comes back. Then I'd play Sumner and Lamb as the 2nd unit backcourt.

Do you think the coaches trust him to run the point without another ball handler on the floor? My guess is they don't.

Guess its moot for the next three weeks. If we ever get everyone healthy we have too many wings.
sg Vic, Jeremy, Sumner
Holiday and Sumner are rotation level players who would be getting little to no run.

Have we been seeing Justin Holiday as the defacto 4 some already this year? Not sure I love it, and probably more out of necessity than desire, but, yeah.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Nov 1, 2019 12:28 pm

Pacersike wrote:He's talented alright. And hurt so often, I don't really have him in my future Pacers plans.

If I was him, I would be already planning for a different job. There are some other beautiful jobs out there.

He's fully guaranteed this year and next, and a super cheap team option for the 3rd year. I'd plan on seeing him a couple more years, at least. Especially since we'll be short a 1st round pick one of the next couple years from the Brogdon S&T and have a "developmental spot" to fill.
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by 8305 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 1:08 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
8305 wrote:

sg Vic, Jeremy, Sumner

Have we been seeing Justin Holiday as the defacto 4 some already this year? Not sure I love it, and probably more out of necessity than desire, but, yeah.

Who starts at the other 4/5 spot with Myles on the shelf?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#14 » by Wizop » Fri Nov 1, 2019 1:16 pm

8305 wrote:Who starts at the other 4/5 spot with Myles on the shelf?

Star says: "Turner's position will likely be filled by T.J. Leaf and Goga Bitadze, while Aaron Holiday's minutes should increase with Sumner recovering."

Pacers.com does not have updated starters. my personal guess is that McBuckets will get increased minutes as Kevin Love will have as much trouble guarding a shooter as we'll have guarding him.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Nov 1, 2019 1:24 pm

8305 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
8305 wrote:

sg Vic, Jeremy, Sumner

Who starts at the other 4/5 spot with Myles on the shelf?

No real good answer. Probably Leaf? Goga gets the backup 5 minutes. We'll likely see a TON of too small or poor defending wing's playing some PF minutes out of necessity (Warren/McDermott as the poor defending, Justin as the too small). Or, we might finally see Alize and Jakarr get some active games.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#16 » by Vorda » Fri Nov 1, 2019 9:00 pm

boomershadow wrote:https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/10/31/pacers-myles-turner-edmond-sumner-out-weeks/

And now What KP? We have no replacement for Myles or Sabonis... sign Faried while is not to late...
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,133

Post#17 » by Nuntius » Sat Nov 2, 2019 4:13 am

Vorda wrote:

And now What KP? We have no replacement for Myles or Sabonis... sign Faried while is not to late...

We do have Goga, though. We just needed to give him minutes :wink:
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 2, 2019 4:56 am

Vorda wrote:

If you sign Faried, you simply cannot play him with Dom Sabonis for spacing reasons. Dom would simply be double teamed every single possession as Faried really cannot exist offensively outside of 5 feet. And he simply cannot defend now. He’s a rebounder and outback scorer and nothing more.

Believe me. I’ve banged the drum for Faried for years. He’s not the guy for this roster.
Vorda
Senior

Post#19 » by Vorda » Sat Nov 2, 2019 7:19 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Vorda wrote:

If you sign Faried, you simply cannot play him with Dom Sabonis for spacing reasons. Dom would simply be double teamed every single possession as Faried really cannot exist offensively outside of 5 feet. And he simply cannot defend now. He’s a rebounder and outback scorer and nothing more.

Believe me. I’ve banged the drum for Faried for years. He’s not the guy for this roster.
So, you tell that better is to watch Leaf?

Poslano sa mog SM-A705FN koristeći Tapatalk
Vorda
Senior

Post#20 » by Vorda » Sat Nov 2, 2019 7:21 am

Nuntius wrote:
Vorda wrote:

We do have Goga, though. We just needed to give him minutes :wink:
Goga is good, but we need more players

Poslano sa mog SM-A705FN koristeći Tapatalk

Return to Indiana Pacers