Re: Game 4: Indiana Pacers (0-3) @ Brooklyn Nets (1-2) - 7:30 PM ET 

Post#2 » by Pacersike » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:26 pm

4th game is a charm
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,896

Post#3 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:57 pm

Pacers need to come out strong and win this one, starting the season in a 0-4 hole is not good. I've seen a lot of things I liked in the early games but the team is having some growing pains and missing the Vets like Bogie and Thad not to mention Victor.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,269

Post#4 » by Jstock12 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:18 am

Goga has been thrown to the wolves. In a way, that's good - will help accelerate his development.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#5 » by Pacersike » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:48 am

Brogdon wauw Sabonis wauw Warren and Lamb very good Justin defense 8-)

Impressive win, even Irving can't fix this anymore :)
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#6 » by Moooose » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:13 am

Good win. Lamb's return was a big big relief. Myles' absence has put Domas in a "defined" position and dominated on offense. Though Domas is still lacking the physical tools to be able to guard the paint, he tried good enough. I couldn't ask for more. It was a joy seeing him toying with both Jarrett Allen and DeAndre Jordan on offense. Footwork and fundamentals are outstanding.

Warren really needs to work on his set shots, he only makes the awkward shots. But his perimeter defense is kind of improving these past two games.

Brogdon is steady, as always, and I can see him and Lamb getting along pretty well down the road.

I like Aaron Holiday getting some minutes. He didn't produced well but was energetic, same as his brother. Goga needed to play in Myles' absence but I like him challenging shots. The confidence is still not there but he'll be counted upon on some nights over Leaf.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,896

Post#7 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:00 am

I wonder how that 4/5 glut is working out for us. With Turner out and TJ Leaf out to lunch there's Sabonis, and Goga over 6'8'' not what I call a glut of bigs.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#8 » by Pacersike » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:27 am

Moooose wrote:Though Domas is still lacking the physical tools to be able to guard the paint, he tried good enough.

I doubt his arms will grow an inch in the future :wink:

The length isn't there, but to me, he has enough defensive tools to start at center. Surround him with quality defenders and we can really get a suprisingly good offense. Start Turner, together with Sabonis, and we are offensively handcuffed, the same way we are limited defensively with Sabonis at the 5. Plus Sabonis is strong like an ox (just ask the Nets centers) and looses that advantage because on the perimeter strength becomes less important. It's much about quickness and length on the perimeter, not strength.

If wanting to trade a Pacer player, when I can list reasons that make some sense, gets all kinds of opposition, so be it, but it doesn't make me feel like I hate or love certain players. It is just my preference and what I believe is the best option for the Pacers.

Turner deserves more credit than this 1 game missing, but it adds to all my other observations. Who is going to say now that the Pacers need much more time to develop chemistry? Brogdon and Sabonis already have excellent chemistry. Why? Because both have high BBIQs and Sabonis played his best position now.

A record is always the result of teamwork (building chemistry) and individual talent. Not using Sabonis where he is best and Turner having to figure out what his new teammates are going to do are also reasons why our start was poor. Even when everyone is healthy, it looks like an impossible task to beat more talented teams with a roster that is pushing players to not play their best position just for the sake of staying loyal towards good Pacer players.

The Sixers look like the team to beat in the East though and they are even bigger than us. This game just made me emotional because everyone deserves the best and Domas looked so excellent playing the 5 today. While having to make up for the -16 from Goga. I rather trade one center and see both centers blossom to full extent. Right now, I feel like Turner gets a better chance to shine and that is why I feel some frustration towards Turner. But the universe will set it straight, Domas will get what he deserves.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Post#9 » by Grang33r » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:06 am

Impressive win. The Nets are better then their record shows and they play fast and like to shoot the three. I thought we were going to have a lot of issues tonight, and then Turner leaves early on too. I thought for sure we were toast.

Sabonis and Brogdon are beasts. Love watching them play.

One player i appreciate is Warren. When we got him, i read alot about his poor defense, but i thought he's been very effective defensively for us so far and plays hard. His shot (essp 3PT) hasn't been going in but once it does he could truly be a impact player for us.

One win and next few games are very winnable. Pacers could turn the 0-3 record into 4-3 with a blink of the eye.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Moooose
Starter

Post#10 » by Moooose » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:30 am

Pacersike wrote:
Moooose wrote:Though Domas is still lacking the physical tools to be able to guard the paint, he tried good enough.

I doubt his arms will grow an inch in the future :wink:

Well, let's hope for that. I am okay with a wider upper and a better vertical jump.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#11 » by Topofthekey » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:00 am

Domas was feasting on the Nets defenders no matter who they threw at him

They just need to commit to Domas being the 5 and Myles being the 4

I don't understand why Domas is the one who has to adapt to playing the 4 when Myles is the more versatile of the two, and outside of blocking shots Domas is better in almost all areas than Myles at 5
Moooose
Starter

Post#12 » by Moooose » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:10 am

Topofthekey wrote:Domas was feasting on the Nets defenders no matter who they threw at him

I don't understand why Domas is the one who has to adapt to playing the 4 when Myles is the more versatile of the two, and outside of blocking shots Domas is better in almost all areas than Myles at 5

Myles will have more problems playing the 4 than Domas. He will be exploited by quicker PF's and it would be a nightmare having him chase stretch 4's. The team needs him close to the basket to be effective defensively. Domas is actually having troubles playing the 4 too, even though he is more mobile than Myles.

This is just my observation, having seen them play together in the current and previous seasons. They clog the paint whenever they are together. Most of the time they play the same position out of instinct then when either of them realizes it, one will try to give way by playing the 4 and being inefficient. On defense, it seems to me as though both of them are expecting the other one to cover the bigger guy. It should be Myles obviously but he's been more hesitant now than in previous seasons.

On offense, Domas' post game is way superior than Myles'. And Myles is the better mid-range and perimeter shooter. Though sometimes we see them switching places, which is fine. They should continue to work on it though and I think the real issue is more on the defensive side. Domas is smart with the ball whether he is looking for a pass or a shot and I think it is Myles' responsibility to get himself open or set himself up for an offensive rebound.

Thad Young was perfect next to either Myles or Domas. He spreads the floor and covers the quicker forwards and the stretch bigs. He gave Myles the simplified role of just having to protect the basket. He helped by anticipating interior plays and passes that has resulted to broken plays. We are missing someone who can do what Thad Young did and neither Myles or Domas can slide into that spot whenever they play together.

The last game was a good indication on the capabilities and limits of Domas. He was comfortable playing the 5 in spite of his physical limitations. Makes up for it with his effort and basketball IQ.

As I was watching the game with a relative, he asked If it was Domas who went down with an injury (knock on wood), will the result be the same? I said don't think so, but Myles would have played better too.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#13 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:56 pm

This team showed what they are capable of last night. Still going to be some choppy moments for sure, but heading in the right direction. A lot of new bodies coming together on this team. I always thought the goal was to be around .500 when Vic came back at 100%. That puts the club in a good position. Not sure that can be done, I think that maybe a lofty goal with this group, but none the less that was my outlook.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,269

Post#14 » by Jstock12 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:58 pm

Moooose wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:Domas was feasting on the Nets defenders no matter who they threw at him

Myles will have more problems playing the 4 than Domas. He will be exploited by quicker PF's and it would be a nightmare having him chase stretch 4's. The team needs him close to the basket to be effective defensively. Domas is actually having troubles playing the 4 too, even though he is more mobile than Myles.

This is just my observation, having seen them play together in the current and previous seasons. They clog the paint whenever they are together. Most of the time they play the same position out of instinct then when either of them realizes it, one will try to give way by playing the 4 and being inefficient. On defense, it seems to me as though both of them are expecting the other one to cover the bigger guy. It should be Myles obviously but he's been more hesitant now than in previous seasons.

On offense, Domas' post game is way superior than Myles'. And Myles is the better mid-range and perimeter shooter. Though sometimes we see them switching places, which is fine. They should continue to work on it though and I think the real issue is more on the defensive side. Domas is smart with the ball whether he is looking for a pass or a shot and I think it is Myles' responsibility to get himself open or set himself up for an offensive rebound.

Thad Young was perfect next to either Myles or Domas. He spreads the floor and covers the quicker forwards and the stretch bigs. He gave Myles the simplified role of just having to protect the basket. He helped by anticipating interior plays and passes that has resulted to broken plays. We are missing someone who can do what Thad Young did and neither Myles or Domas can slide into that spot whenever they play together.

The last game was a good indication on the capabilities and limits of Domas. He was comfortable playing the 5 in spite of his physical limitations. Makes up for it with his effort and basketball IQ.

As I was watching the game with a relative, he asked If it was Domas who went down with an injury (knock on wood), will the result be the same? I said don't think so, but Myles would have played better too.

I thought Domas was actually good at protecting the rim yesterday, he was challenging shots and staying vertical.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#15 » by Wizop » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:23 pm

Moooose wrote:Warren really needs to work on his set shots, he only makes the awkward shots.

I'd say he only TAKES awkward shots. he needs to get balanced and squared up.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,196

Post#16 » by boomershadow » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:58 pm

I thought the team looked much better than we've seen this year so far even before Myles exited the game, but if the team manages to pick up some wins while Turner is out the narrative is going to turn into "well, it's obvious they're playing better because they aren't faced with the Turner/Sabonis problem."
IMF
Junior
And1: 714

Post#17 » by IMF » Fri Nov 1, 2019 12:33 am

boomershadow wrote:I thought the team looked much better than we've seen this year so far even before Myles exited the game, but if the team manages to pick up some wins while Turner is out the narrative is going to turn into "well, it's obvious they're playing better because they aren't faced with the Turner/Sabonis problem."

Yes I’m already annoyed with this narrative, people on PD spent the whole post game thread dumping on Turner which is ridiculous given the team was ahead when he went out of the game and proceeded to fall behind for awhile until later regaining the lead.

They’re playing better as a team because things are starting to gel it has nothing to do with the Turner/Sabonis nonsense, it honestly started in the 4th quarter of the Detroit game that they probably should have won. Whole team is just flat out playing better as they get used to each other.
Moooose
Starter

Post#18 » by Moooose » Fri Nov 1, 2019 8:20 am

Wizop wrote:
Moooose wrote:Warren really needs to work on his set shots, he only makes the awkward shots.

I'd say he only TAKES awkward shots. he needs to get balanced and squared up.

He took some decent looking jumpshots but were off. He is known for these awkward kind of shots though. But yeah, I agree he's got to practice straight shots.
Moooose
Starter

Post#19 » by Moooose » Fri Nov 1, 2019 8:24 am

Jstock12 wrote:I thought Domas was actually good at protecting the rim yesterday, he was challenging shots and staying vertical.

I'd say really good effort. There were times when his timing was good to alter shots and there are times where the shortness of his arms were evident, especially against the driving guards.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#20 » by Wizop » Fri Nov 1, 2019 1:09 pm

IMF wrote:people on PD spent the whole post game thread dumping on Turner

my son was singing that tune right after the game. strange since before the game he was wanting the team to be bad all year for the lottery.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.

Return to Indiana Pacers