How good would the Pacers be IF...

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Assistant Coach
And1: 598

Re: How good would the Pacers be IF... 

Post#21 » by 8305 » Sat Nov 2, 2019 1:08 pm

I thought Leaf looked good when he got run the second half of last year. The last game of the season last year he owned Collins. No getting around how bad he has looked so for this year though. Nate clearly has no confidence in him and it appears he has earned it. Speaking of guys Nate has no confidence in, Aaron Holiday. Wonder if Vegas is taking bets on when he will hit his next shot?

For now it appears Nate is trying to get A Holiday and Leaf game run without costing the team games. Given the team's expectations I' m not sure what else he can do?
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,896

Post#22 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Nov 2, 2019 8:44 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:Nate isn't a good developer, but I think some are remembering Frank with rose-colored glasses. He wasn't good in that respect either. We just had a better team with more vet presences.

And tbf to Nate he has gotten the best out of Vic, Domas, and Myles (Brogdon too so far) while getting Sumner to look like a legit NBA player. Bogie also took a major leap under Nate.

Those guys can all play at this level, Sumner at least looks like an NBA player TJ Leaf looks like a tall guy who might be better at bagging groceries at Kroger than playing NBA basketball.
Given his hands I'm not sure I would trust him with my groceries.

Definitely not the eggs! Maybe let him put the canned goods up on the top shelf.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,133

Post#23 » by Nuntius » Sat Nov 2, 2019 10:49 pm

Pacersike wrote:The moves we made for our future, how many of them or working or playing right now? After Turner, we traded our best draft pick: Caris Levert. We wouldn't even have drafted the guy. For a small market team, draft picks are hugely important, so we have to be demanding.

The Thad Young for the draft pick that became Caris LeVert was not a KP move. Bird was at the helm then and that move was an attempt to build a team that could go deep in the post-season so we could keep PG. Obviously, it didn't work out.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#24 » by Pacersike » Sat Nov 2, 2019 11:29 pm

Nuntius wrote:
Pacersike wrote:The moves we made for our future, how many of them or working or playing right now? After Turner, we traded our best draft pick: Caris Levert. We wouldn't even have drafted the guy. For a small market team, draft picks are hugely important, so we have to be demanding.

The Thad Young for the draft pick that became Caris LeVert was not a KP move. Bird was at the helm then and that move was an attempt to build a team that could go deep in the post-season so we could keep PG. Obviously, it didn't work out.

I know, but I was trying to say that we needed a pick like that.

Aaron, Leaf, this years could be gone. Goga looks very promising though and can be that pick. Spoken too soon :)
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#25 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 4:12 pm

8305 wrote:I thought Leaf looked good when he got run the second half of last year. The last game of the season last year he owned Collins. No getting around how bad he has looked so for this year though. Nate clearly has no confidence in him and it appears he has earned it. Speaking of guys Nate has no confidence in, Aaron Holiday. Wonder if Vegas is taking bets on when he will hit his next shot?

For now it appears Nate is trying to get A Holiday and Leaf game run without costing the team games. Given the team's expectations I' m not sure what else he can do?

Maybe we can trade those guys to the Warriors since everyone on that team is down with injuries.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#26 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 4:14 pm

Pacersike wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Aaron, Leaf, this years could be gone. Goga looks very promising though and can be that pick. Spoken too soon :)

If you remember LeVert had a major injury at the time of the draft, I think most teams thought he was a 2nd round pick. He looks pretty good but it's a stretch to think he's gonna be another Kawhi Leonard.
Pacersike
Analyst

Post#27 » by Pacersike » Sun Nov 3, 2019 4:31 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
If you remember LeVert had a major injury at the time of the draft, I think most teams thought he was a 2nd round pick. He looks pretty good but it's a stretch to think he's gonna be another Kawhi Leonard.

You named 1 player, arguably the best in the league right now. I can name 99 others, who would still make that pick a good one.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#28 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 4:46 pm

Pacersike wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

You named 1 player, arguably the best in the league right now. I can name 99 others, who would still make that pick a good one.

The reason that I named Kawhi is that we traded the pick that became Kawhi back in 2011, same as we traded the pick to Brooklyn that became LeVert, the fact is that we didn't pick either of them SA picked Kawhi and Brooklyn picked LeVert. Technically we may have made the pick then traded them, but the deals were made because that is who the other team wanted. Would we have even taken LeVert? The real miss was not taking Siakam! But the deal to get Thad Young for a 18th pick in what most people saw as a weak draft is not a bad move. Even though Thad is gone from our team now it was a sound move to make at the time. But wouldn't it be nice to have Pascal Siakam?
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,196

Post#29 » by boomershadow » Sun Nov 3, 2019 5:41 pm

I think comparing first rounders that went nearby each other in draft position is relevant (like Leaf and Collins for example), but I think it's unfair to look at breakout second rounders like Siakim or Gobert and criticize your team for not taking them.
Pacersike
Analyst

Post#30 » by Pacersike » Sun Nov 3, 2019 10:37 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Pacersike wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

The reason that I named Kawhi is that we traded the pick that became Kawhi back in 2011, same as we traded the pick to Brooklyn that became LeVert, the fact is that we didn't pick either of them SA picked Kawhi and Brooklyn picked LeVert. Technically we may have made the pick then traded them, but the deals were made because that is who the other team wanted. Would we have even taken LeVert? The real miss was not taking Siakam! But the deal to get Thad Young for a 18th pick in what most people saw as a weak draft is not a bad move. Even though Thad is gone from our team now it was a sound move to make at the time. But wouldn't it be nice to have Pascal Siakam?

Who cares about how good Levert is going to be, the Pacers have Goga Bitadze :D
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#31 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Nov 4, 2019 2:24 am

Pacersike wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Pacersike wrote:You named 1 player, arguably the best in the league right now. I can name 99 others, who would still make that pick a good one.

Who cares about how good Levert is going to be, the Pacers have Goga Bitadze :D

Goga the destroyer!
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,133

Post#32 » by Nuntius » Mon Nov 4, 2019 12:56 pm

Pacersike wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, we definitely need a pick with good potential and maybe Goga turns out to be that guy :D
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#33 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Nov 4, 2019 8:10 pm

boomershadow wrote:I think comparing first rounders that went nearby each other in draft position is relevant (like Leaf and Collins for example), but I think it's unfair to look at breakout second rounders like Siakim or Gobert and criticize your team for not taking them.

Ok the two you cited there, Siakam and Gobert were #1 picks Siakam was the 27th pick in the 1st round in 2016 and Gobert was the #27 in the 2013 draft.

Dre Green, Middleton, and Crowder were all 2nd round picks as was our own Malcom Brogdon.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#34 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Nov 4, 2019 8:12 pm

I see that TJ Leaf got 15 rebounds in the Bulls game. I'll give him credit for that, but he's gonna have to start showing that he can play on a consistent basis and not just against one of the worst teams in the NBA.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#35 » by Wizop » Tue Nov 5, 2019 1:13 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:I see that TJ Leaf got 15 rebounds in the Bulls game. I'll give him credit for that, but he's gonna have to start showing that he can play on a consistent basis and not just against one of the worst teams in the NBA.
Leaf and Goga together have the same issues as Myles and Damos. They are all best in the paint.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,021

Post#36 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Nov 5, 2019 1:39 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
boomershadow wrote:I think comparing first rounders that went nearby each other in draft position is relevant (like Leaf and Collins for example), but I think it's unfair to look at breakout second rounders like Siakim or Gobert and criticize your team for not taking them.

Ok the two you cited there, Siakam and Gobert were #1 picks Siakam was the 27th pick in the 1st round in 2016 and Gobert was the #27 in the 2013 draft.

Dre Green, Middleton, and Crowder were all 2nd round picks as was our own Malcom Brogdon.

Same concept applies to what boomershadow was trying to say there. Leaf and Collins were apparently valued closely enough in the same draft to look at the two of them and compare them. Siakam and Gobert were very much NOT valued in their drafts and were passed over by almost every team in the league. In hindsight, they absolutely should have been picked WAY earlier, but they were not, and weren't even considered by most anyone before the "flyer" part of the draft where it's just who you like, and value doesn't really matter at all.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,021

Post#37 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Nov 5, 2019 3:49 pm

Yikes!

Read on Twitter
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#38 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Nov 5, 2019 7:12 pm

I saw Collins got suspended! Someone does got suspended 25 games for using a banned diuretic. I can't remember who it was.

Return to Indiana Pacers