Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,196

Holiday vs. McConnell.... 

Post#1 » by boomershadow » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:40 pm

FIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!

Not really, but I am interested to hear some opinions on how this dynamic is playing out this year. It keeps popping up in other threads.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 921

Re: Holiday vs. McConnell.... 

Post#2 » by Tom White » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:47 pm

If you are asking for our opinions on which is the better player? I think it is easily McConnell at this point. Part of that may simply be experience, but part of it is likely instincts as well. McConnell just seems to find his fit more easily than Holiday.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#3 » by Wizop » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:19 pm

Holiday is playing the 2. McConnell is the purest 1 on the team. Perhaps the most fun to watch. Not fast. No hops. Just smart. Clever. Hustle.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#4 » by boomershadow » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:27 am

I wish Holiday would just be given the green light to put shots up. I think he would really do well as the kind of bench spark plug that a Lou Williams or current Derrick Rose is. Nobody else on the bench at the moment has the capability to put up points like he does. It was mentioned in one thread that McConnell is playing better at the moment, but Holiday has a higher ceiling. I actually think that's understating it.

It seems like he is on a similar leash as Evans was last year. Pure scorers like that dont look good trying to run an offense, particular not the horrible, low efficiency offense that Nate seems to like. They need to be looking for their own shot, and if they dont then they'll never get in a rhythm.

Now, Evans looked like utter garbage last year in other ways, so the comparison isn't totally apt, but I really do think that Holiday not yet taking a real step forward and the disappointing season that Tyreke had last year are related when looking at those players skillsets verses their role on the team.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#5 » by Pacers_Freak » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:20 pm

boomershadow wrote:I wish Holiday would just be given the green light to put shots up. I think he would really do well as the kind of bench spark plug that a Lou Williams or current Derrick Rose is. Nobody else on the bench at the moment has the capability to put up points like he does. It was mentioned in one thread that McConnell is playing better at the moment, but Holiday has a higher ceiling. I actually think that's understating it.

It seems like he is on a similar leash as Evans was last year. Pure scorers like that dont look good trying to run an offense, particular not the horrible, low efficiency offense that Nate seems to like. They need to be looking for their own shot, and if they dont then they'll never get in a rhythm.

Now, Evans looked like utter garbage last year in other ways, so the comparison isn't totally apt, but I really do think that Holiday not yet taking a real step forward and the disappointing season that Tyreke had last year are related when looking at those players skillsets verses their role on the team.

Go read Mcconnell's comments about how he is thriving in Nate's offense because it is player friendly. Encourages you to play your game and not conform to be a certain way. Said it empowers him on the offensive end.

I find it hard to believe that a veteran guard feels more comfortable than he ever has in the offense and another guard isn't getting a green light and playing on a leash. That doesn't jive at all. Maybe Aaron should be more aggressive and assertive on the offensive end?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#6 » by Wizop » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:32 pm

boomershadow wrote:I wish Holiday would just be given the green light to put shots up.

Quinn's comments on the telecast suggest he has.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#7 » by boomershadow » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:35 pm

I'm always open to the possibility that what I'm seeing isn't the way other people are seeing it.

Return to Indiana Pacers