Game 22: Indiana Pacers (14-7) @ Detroit Pistons (8-14) - 7:00 PM ET 

Post#1 » by ducler » Fri Dec 6, 2019 8:06 pm

Read on Twitter
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Re: Game 22: Indiana Pacers (14-7) @ Detroit Pistons (8-14) - 7:00 PM ET 

Post#2 » by Tom White » Fri Dec 6, 2019 9:45 pm

Wonder how many points and rebounds Drummond will total tonight. We have a definite disadvantage vs. guys like him or Adams (OKC) or Embiid.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#3 » by Vorda » Sat Dec 7, 2019 9:28 am

The good thing is that we will not play against Pistons this year anymore
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#4 » by boomershadow » Sat Dec 7, 2019 2:19 pm

Yeah, they just seem to have our number this season.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#5 » by 8305 » Sat Dec 7, 2019 3:48 pm

Can't let this game pass without commenting on the game of Myles Truner. 36 min., 3 pts,, 3 rebs while we were being absolutely being thrashed on the boards. Blake Griffin seemed to get what ever he wanted too. Hate to think how things will go when we face up with Giannis, Siakum, and Adabayou. All that optimism probably needs to be tempered until we see some real competition.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by Tom White » Sat Dec 7, 2019 6:14 pm

8305 wrote:Can't let this game pass without commenting on the game of Myles Truner. 36 min., 3 pts,, 3 rebs while we were being absolutely being thrashed on the boards.

I said something similar in a recent thread when I stated Myles is making himself very expendable. Over the last good number of games he isn't giving this team much at all. Not sure what is wrong, but something needs to change.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#7 » by Pacersike » Sat Dec 7, 2019 9:48 pm

Tom White wrote:
8305 wrote:Can't let this game pass without commenting on the game of Myles Truner. 36 min., 3 pts,, 3 rebs while we were being absolutely being thrashed on the boards.

I said something similar in a recent thread when I stated Myles is making himself very expendable. Over the last good number of games he isn't giving this team much at all. Not sure what is wrong, but something needs to change.

Only his mindset.

He needs to stop caring too much about DPOY, about other Pacers centers, about his personal shots, about internet critics and just do his thing cuz he is a darn good center, defensively and offensively.

That being said, we need to find a collective answer against the Drummonds, Embiids, Giannises, Siakams and other Allstar quality big men, cuz we don't have player on our team who can really slow them down. Which is the main reason why Myles is feeling like he is feeling right now, cuz he started believing he could already do that this season.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Dec 9, 2019 3:58 pm

Pacersike wrote:
Tom White wrote:

Only his mindset.

He needs to stop caring too much about DPOY, about other Pacers centers, about his personal shots, about internet critics and just do his thing cuz he is a darn good center, defensively and offensively.

That being said, we need to find a collective answer against the Drummonds, Embiids, Giannises, Siakams and other Allstar quality big men, cuz we don't have player on our team who can really slow them down. Which is the main reason why Myles is feeling like he is feeling right now, cuz he started believing he could already do that this season.

In all fairness, there’s only two guys in the league that can reasonably stop Giannis or Siakam, and they’re teammates out west, and one demanded to be traded away from Indy. Embiid is relatively unstoppable in the league too. Horford was one of the few that could slow him down. Drummond is a weird one. When he’s motivated, he’s relatively unstoppable at getting to the bucket and getting rebounds and put backs.

Excuses, I know, but we’re asking for Kawhi or Paul George and we clearly can’t get them.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by Tom White » Mon Dec 9, 2019 6:08 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:In all fairness, there’s only two guys in the league that can reasonably stop Giannis or Siakam, and they’re teammates out west, and one demanded to be traded away from Indy. Embiid is relatively unstoppable in the league too. Horford was one of the few that could slow him down. Drummond is a weird one. When he’s motivated, he’s relatively unstoppable at getting to the bucket and getting rebounds and put backs.

Excuses, I know, but we’re asking for Kawhi or Paul George and we clearly can’t get them.

Kawhi or George are not going to do any good vs. the centers we have been discussing. I wouldn't expect either to handle them. But it isn't just the Embiids or Drummonds of the world we have problems with. Heck, Adams looks like an all-star against us. But it isn't just stopping the opponents, it is also about offensive production and rebounding from Turner.

I'm hoping Goga can grow into a big enforcer type in the future, but that doesn't help us now.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#10 » by Topofthekey » Mon Dec 9, 2019 7:38 pm

Drummond had 21/22 against Raptors, Raptors still won

He had a 23/14 game against the Bucks, the Bucks still won

One of his best games this season where he had 25/24 was against the Bulls, and yup the Bulls still won - same Bulls who are 8-16 on the standings right now

It's true that Pacers do have a problem with the big hulking centers of the league, but I don't think that the inability to stop someone like Andre Drummond is the team's main weakness

I think the team's main weakness is that they are too new and too young, they don't have the kind of mental fortitude that veteran teams have, or the swagger that teams with superstars have

How many times have the team come up short in the final minutes of a game this season

They also lack on court leadership, although things have improved from last season

This team would be a markedly different team if someone like Reggie was playing on it
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Dec 9, 2019 7:45 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Drummond had 21/22 against Raptors, Raptors still won

One of his best games this season where he had 25/24 was against the Bulls, and yup the Bulls still won - same Bulls who are 8-16 on the standings right now

It's true that Pacers do have a problem with the big hulking centers of the league, but I don't think that the inability to stop someone like Andre Drummond is the team's main weakness

I think the team's main weakness is that they are too new and too young, they don't have the kind of mental fortitude that veteran teams have, or the swagger that teams with superstars have

How many times have the team come up short in the final minutes of a game this season

They also lack on court leadership, although things have improved from last season

This team would be a markedly different team if someone like Reggie was playing on it

Reggie the first 5-8 years of his career or the rest of Reggie's career? It took time for him to be that kind of on court leader. Vic really is in line with what you're asking for, though, not prime Reggie of course. Very few do.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#12 » by Topofthekey » Mon Dec 9, 2019 8:15 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

Reggie the first 5-8 years of his career or the rest of Reggie's career? It took time for him to be that kind of on court leader. Vic really is in line with what you're asking for, though, not prime Reggie of course. Very few do.

I'll settle for almost any version really

Pacers are currently #1 in opponent points allowed, and they're #6 in opponent FG% - so they play great defense, that much isn't news for most of us here

Offensively, they're actually pretty good as well

They ranked #4 and #5 in FG% and 3pt FG% respectively

The problem, as you may have guessed, is they only take 87 field goal attempts per game, good for #27 among the league

For comparison, Hornets rank #12 with 89.8 FGA per game

If all the Pacers did was increase their FGA from 87 to 90 per game, meaning taking three more shots per game, and assuming that three extra shots yielded 4 extra points, Pacers would be 18-5 now - good for second on the standings

And this is without Vic

I just want to see the Pacers be fearless and shoot more

Especially Myles

His high arching 3pt bombs are a thing of beauty, he needs to fully embrace it
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,072

Post#13 » by Wizop » Mon Dec 9, 2019 9:23 pm

Topofthekey wrote:If all the Pacers did was increase their FGA from 87 to 90 per game, meaning taking three more shots per game, and assuming that three extra shots yielded 4 extra points, Pacers would be 18-5 now - good for second on the standings

and I submit that the easiest way to get 3 more shots is some combination of fewer turnovers and more offensive rebounds.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Dec 9, 2019 9:40 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I'll settle for almost any version really

Pacers are currently #1 in opponent points allowed, and they're #6 in opponent FG% - so they play great defense, that much isn't news for most of us here

Offensively, they're actually pretty good as well

They ranked #4 and #5 in FG% and 3pt FG% respectively

The problem, as you may have guessed, is they only take 87 field goal attempts per game, good for #27 among the league

For comparison, Hornets rank #12 with 89.8 FGA per game

If all the Pacers did was increase their FGA from 87 to 90 per game, meaning taking three more shots per game, and assuming that three extra shots yielded 4 extra points, Pacers would be 18-5 now - good for second on the standings

And this is without Vic

I just want to see the Pacers be fearless and shoot more

Especially Myles

His high arching 3pt bombs are a thing of beauty, he needs to fully embrace it

Agreed on Myles shot. Also agree on wishing that Indy would up the tempo. However, we've been asking that for years, and it's definitely not been a Nate thing. With the upped tempo, the stats will change quite a bit, as with each added possession for us, comes added possessions for the other team. PPG allowed would increase for sure, etc. I'm sure we'd be fine in the margin spread and whatnot, but there are downsides to be aware of, too.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by Tom White » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:25 pm

Wizop wrote:and I submit that the easiest way to get 3 more shots is some combination of fewer turnovers and more offensive rebounds.

The lack of offensive rebounding is something that has driven me nuts for years. I understand the need to have players getting back on defense, but we surely don't need ALL of them high-tailing it for the other end of the court. Sometimes it seems effort in this area is only made late in the game when one additional shot could change the outcome. Think about how many times when after we shoot the ball you can look at our offensive end of the court and not see a single Pacers player from the free throw line extended on down to the baseline.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,072

Post#16 » by Wizop » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:58 pm

Tom White wrote:I understand the need to have players getting back on defense, but we surely don't need ALL of them high-tailing it for the other end of the court.

me too. I understand the need to know where your man is particularly for the guards who need to protect against their man leaking out. but I do not understand why a big man doesn't do what we all learned to do in grade school - follow your shot!
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by Tom White » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:30 pm

Wizop wrote:me too. I understand the need to know where your man is particularly for the guards who need to protect against their man leaking out. but I do not understand why a big man doesn't do what we all learned to do in grade school - follow your shot!

Wish I could "thank" this post more than once.

Our guys tend to turn into spectators after a shot. Now, Sabonis is less guilty than some, but many of his shots are from near the rim to begin with.

Return to Indiana Pacers