During “Social Distancing”, Everyone alright?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

During “Social Distancing”, Everyone alright? 

Post#1 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:58 pm

Lots of changes going on right now, so just checking in. Maybe this could be a little spot to share some brightness or some resources others might need at this time. Anybody been laid off? Your mental health ok? Just bored?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,053

Re: During “Social Distancing”, Everyone alright? 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:21 pm

I work from home anyway as my company has "virtual offices," but I'm high risk. my granddaughter's daycare is closed as is the school her mother works at so they are both here at home. my son is still managing a store that hasn't closed and there is certainly a risk he'll become a carrier. so far, so good.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#3 » by Tom White » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:28 pm

Personally, I'm doing fine, at least for now. I'm 68, retired, and being a vegetarian means not competing with others for meat products, so there is that. My needs are few and simple. I am also fortunate to live where I do, as on my property a person can just look outdoors and see deer, wild turkey and such in my fields and even in the yard. Very peaceful.

I do have concerns for some family members however. My one living sibling is in the local nursing home due to COPD and other ailments. Got to speak with her a couple nights ago on the phone, so that was good. This nursing home gets my praise because they were one of the first places I know of that stopped allowing visitors as a way to protect the residents and the staff. They did this well before you heard of it being a common practice, and even though that makes it difficult at times, it was the right thing to do. These are some very good people and we are lucky to have them.

I also have concerns for three of my nieces who are in the healthcare field. Two are nurses and the third is a hospital lab tech. Even though they are all very smart, capable and careful professionals, I still worry for them.

Please be smart, careful and stay safe. Most of all, please show kindness to others you may encounter.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:40 pm

Good to hear guys. I'm a stay at home dad now, for the most part, but still work occasional shifts at a 4 lettered German grocery store. The wife works in the NICU at 2 major campuses, so we've honestly just planned as if we'll all 3 eventually get it. We're safely loaded on beans, rice, lentils and just using up what we have in the fridge, freezer, and pantry. We're definitely fine now, and luckily have a double lot here in the city that allows my almost 2 year old to roam and stretch his legs.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,265

Post#5 » by boomershadow » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:43 pm

I put in my two week notice at my job at the beginning of February. I had planned to take some time off, get caught up on house and yard work that I had been putting off, and take my time looking for something new. I was a department manager at a grocery store, but not one of the cool ones. I'm actually not at all sad to miss the chaos that has been going on in there recently, but I was also not expecting a possible economic collapse to happen right afterwards.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#6 » by Topofthekey » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:17 pm

Here in Malaysia they've just announced that they will be mobilizing the army to help enforce the MCO (Movement Control Order) beginning this Sunday

The MCO has been in place since Wednesday, but apparently they feel stricter enforcement is needed now

We've experienced a surge of cases over the last few days, going from less than one hundred to more than a thousand in just about a week

It didn't help that earlier this month some people held a huge 16,000 strong religious gathering where people were almost packed shoulder to shoulder

On the bright side, grocery shelves are all still well stocked (last I checked a few days ago anyway), so at least there's no worry of a shortage

I've mostly been staying indoors for the last couple of days, barring the daily 5am excursion for a walk at the park near my house to get some exercise and fresh air (which I have decided to stop doing for now, starting today)

Malaysia has recently recorded the third death so far, so things seem to be getting more serious, let's see what happens next week
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,929

Post#7 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:40 pm

Panic and hysterics created by the media have cause people to look at each other as the enemy and a threat. Fake news and political hacks have fanned the flame of panic. What is more dangerous than any virus? Panic.

So go grab your last role of toilet paper and bottle of water and sit in your closets waiting to die, from this chinese monster.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#8 » by Tom White » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:39 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:Panic and hysterics created by the media have cause people to look at each other as the enemy and a threat. Fake news and political hacks have fanned the flame of panic. What is more dangerous than any virus? Panic.

So go grab your last role of toilet paper and bottle of water and sit in your closets waiting to die, from this chinese monster.

You really don't know how to quit when you're behind, do you?
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,265

Post#9 » by boomershadow » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:11 pm

I got takeout from my favorite Chinese place yesterday, and the owner says business has been slow. I'm worried that an extended period of this mess is gonna cause some of my favorite restaurants and businesses to close up.

I'm kind of a homebody anyways, so this isnt affecting me too negatively like emotionally or anything. I already spent the majority of my off time at home. My birthday is in a few days, though. but I guess nobody is taking me out to dinner.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:12 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:Panic and hysterics created by the media have cause people to look at each other as the enemy and a threat. Fake news and political hacks have fanned the flame of panic. What is more dangerous than any virus? Panic.

Hey. Calm down. You killed a thread already. I was just asking, and providing an avenue, for each of the humans on this forum to reply how they are doing, themselves. If you don't wish to share how you yourself are doing, then don't respond. If you do wish, we would like to hear from the old basketballwacko2 that we knew for so many years.

This thread was meant as a place to share how we are doing personally, what we are dealing with, and what we may need, and thus allowing us to connect personally. If you can't do that, just don't post. :dontknow:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:13 pm

boomershadow wrote:I got takeout from my favorite Chinese place yesterday, and the owner says business has been slow. I'm worried that an extended period of this mess is gonna cause some of my favorite restaurants and businesses to close up.

I'm kind of a homebody anyways, so this isnt affecting me too negatively like emotionally or anything. I already spent the majority of my off time at home. My birthday is in a few days, though. but I guess nobody is taking me out to dinner.

We just did a multi-state birthday cake for my niece in Florida. :dontknow:
Wizop
RealGM

Post#12 » by Wizop » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:53 pm

a friend's extended family had a multi-household weekend dinner on FaceTime.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#13 » by Jake0890 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:21 am

Hey there, hope everyone is doing well. I've been away for awhile. Overall, not doing too bad. I've been hitting the Nintendo Switch pretty hard to kill some time.

Stay safe and wash your hands everyone.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#14 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Apr 2, 2020 7:14 am

That's not "Social Distancing!!"

Wizop
RealGM

Post#15 » by Wizop » Thu Apr 2, 2020 1:20 pm

okay, people made mistakes particularly in the early days. as the sports cliche goes, it isn't about falling down but how you get back up. it should be clear by now that Trump's early statements were overly optimistic. it would have been better - here comes another cliche - to hope for the best but plan for the worst. yet, Americans are forgiving. it would go a long way if Trump could just say "my hopes didn't pan out and some of my early statements have proven to be wrong." instead he blames the media, denies he said what is on tape, and calls any question that has an embarrassing answer if answered truthfully a bad question. he's writing Biden's campaign ads by making everything about himself.
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,142

Post#16 » by Gremz » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:57 pm

I've been off work for a couple of weeks now. A little cabin fever yet safe and sane which is the most important thing. Australia has had an encouraging week of statistics. Stemming the curve I guess however like everywhere in the world it's still one hour at a time. Government has been quite wishy washy regarding individual state policies although it's not like anyone is an expert on pandemics I guess.

Can't imagine what it's like for America atm aside from blown up media coverage. At least Jon Lajoie has returned for some advice:

Hope all are safe and sane.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#17 » by Topofthekey » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:37 pm

Over here, we're starting to see a slowdown in the number of cases, for both new infections and deaths. So that's good news.

For over a month now they've set up check points manned by a mixture of soldiers and police personnel, to make sure people don't travel unnecessarily (we're restricted to essential travelling only, within 10km of where we live). There are also regular police patrols, and thousands of people have been fined or hauled up to the courts for disobeying the movement control order.

Still, there is this one idiot on his superbike, who probably lives nearby, who treats the empty road just outside my window as his personal race track. At least once or twice a week I'd hear the infernal sound of his bike roaring down the road. I've contemplated simply running him over with my car. But then I realize he's riding some sort of superbike, and I probably will not be able to catch him with my Camry. Oh well.

Anyway I hope things get better soon for you guys over there as well, wherever everyone is
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Post#18 » by Grang33r » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:31 am

Hey folks, glad to see everyone is doing well. I've been lucky enough to still work through this, as i know many are not so lucky. But my parents are high risk and my grandma is also high risk so i've pretty much spend the last 5 or whatever weeks it's been working then home alone. I'm a single dude so i've just been enjoying it the best i can. Zoom has been great. Spend easter on Zoom and spend many evenings essp weekends on zoom. I've gained some pounds though thats probably my only negative so far.

Movies/series i've watched so far (i VERY rarely watch movies or tv beside sports unless i have a girlfriend)

-The english game
-ultras
-July 22nd
-Waco
-Summer of 92
-F1 drive to survive
-Manhaunt
-escape from dannemora (hbo)

Watched the Jordan Bulls special series on espn tonight and felt it's been a while since i've checked in to the forum so figured it was time.

One thing for sure is how much i miss watching basketball. I've told myself multiple times, when the league returns, i will probably watch double headers for like a week straight. Missing the Pacers play badly too. It's funny how sometimes we go on here or twitter to criticize Brogdon or Turner, but when we can no longer see them play, what a void they bring to our lifes. I would do anything to see a Pacers game right now.

Anyways, i'll try to be on more often going forward and wishing you all and your families lots of health! Go Pacers!
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#19 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:06 pm

The RealGM Pacers forum is an entirely inappropriate place for these comments. Take it elsewhere.

-Jake
Wizop
RealGM

Post#20 » by Wizop » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:53 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:I see people in the grocery stores wearing masks and rubber gloves like they are thinking they are protecting themselves from the terrible disease.

actually, they are protecting you not themselves. masks protect others from your germs. they do not protect you from other people's germs. I'm glad people are protecting me as I'm high risk and will probably stay at home long after the guidelines permit me not to. I hope you'll protect yourself too. keep safe.

Return to Indiana Pacers