Nate signs 1 year extension (No Hot Seat)

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Re: Nate signs 1 year extension (No Hot Seat) 

Post#41 » by pacers33granger » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:46 pm

So Gentry's gone from New Orleans. Boylan is out in Chicago. D'Antoni could very well be done in Houston. Brooklyn has an opening. And the more prominent names mentioned for those jobs are guys like Lue and Kidd.

Have to imagine knowing these guys would be canned and there would be multiple openings factored into the extension decision at least somewhat. I would say none of the known free agent coaches are better than Nate. And hiring a first time head coach would be quite a gamble given the potential that how next season goes factors heavily into Dipo's decision.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 824

Re: Nate in the Hot Seat?? 

Post#42 » by Pacersike » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:46 pm

boomershadow wrote:
Pacersike wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Just a one year extension. So, may not stick long term either.

Can someone change the title of the thread? #positivevibes

Done.

On second thought, when is the coach seat not hot though? :D

I feel like we shouldn't negate the negatives, but focus as much as we can on the positives. :)
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,270

Post#43 » by boomershadow » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:53 pm

Looks like McMillan got a vote for coach of the year.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#44 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:58 pm

I think the only coach other than Nurse to get a first place vote.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#45 » by Vorda » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:15 am

Why is he extended?
Pacersike
Analyst

Post#46 » by Pacersike » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:43 am

Vorda wrote:Why is he extended?

Often coaches get extended right before a championship/playoffs just to send out the message that the management believes in good things to come, so the belief also grows with the team and with fans. It doesn't necessarily mean that the management isn't expecting their coach to significantly improve his coaching/leadership.

Nate has his flaws, but I don't see him as one of our major flaws. What he is (still) doing wrong, Kevin and others should be able to discuss with him and as a coach (as opposed to players) you can improve almost your entire life long. Honestly, I believe it's Kevin who has to fix this and not by firing our coach but by holding everyone accountable.

Vic better have a damn good medical reason to leave before the ending, cuz such behavior only occurs if the highest in our team ranking allows it. Great leaders make great teams.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#47 » by Topofthekey » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:03 am

Is Nate the only coach who has ever been rewarded with an extension despite getting swept 3 out of 4 times in the playoffs?
Pacersike
Analyst

Post#48 » by Pacersike » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:16 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Is Nate the only coach who has ever been rewarded with an extension despite getting swept 3 out of 4 times in the playoffs?

I know he is the final decision maker, but because I have no idea whatsoever what kind of teammate he is, the entire team is to blame/honor. If Burke, Bayno and Jones don't see his flaws or can't convince him to make changes, KP has to step in and hire more assistants.

Teams like Raptors and Spurs have like double as much assistant coaches. Just like gem NBA players, there are gem coaches, who can launch a c career mondernizing ideas of old school head coaches. We just have to find them. KP and his team have to find them.

Besides that, you always heavily depend on the talent and effort of the players. Are we going to throw away another good coach to the Lakers?

I disliked Vogel because he was always so protective towards Hibbert. Allowing sulking and endless belief no matter how many times he was bad. No assistant or GM did something about it, only later Bird vented by suddenly being extremely harsh for Roy.

All of us can re-invent themselves (I did) with better thoughts, guided by others. If our FO doesn't want to hire a completely new head coach, I'd tell them to go search for extra people with innovative ideas, with more accurate opinions about players in the draft.

It's a complete team's result and I hope Kevin improves the team at every position possible, not only the head coaching.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,270

Post#49 » by boomershadow » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:12 pm

I don't think McMillan would be a great coach for a team like the Lakers who have championship aspirations. He would be perfect for a team like Minnesota with what they were hoping Thibs would be able to accomplish. Set expectations, demand hard work, encourage growth. Nate is actually really good at that stuff and Thibs is more of a rambling madman. Or Chicago. Nate is like the actually good version of what they were hoping Boylen could but failed spectacularly to be.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#50 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:35 pm

boomershadow wrote:I don't think McMillan would be a great coach for a team like the Lakers who have championship aspirations. He would be perfect for a team like Minnesota with what they were hoping Thibs would be able to accomplish. Set expectations, demand hard work, encourage growth. Nate is actually really good at that stuff and Thibs is more of a rambling madman. Or Chicago. Nate is like the actually good version of what they were hoping Boylen could but failed spectacularly to be.

Agreed. What Nate was able to accomplish with Oladipo going out injured last year, and having Tyreke on the roster, and still getting buy in from all the other players all year long is simply a reflection on a great leader. He may not be a great tactician, but he's truly a great leader. We've got Burke on defense, we absolutely have to turn Bayno/Popeye into a true offensive mind, and a true talent developer. We also need to fill out the coaching staff as much as we can.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#51 » by Topofthekey » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:57 pm

boomershadow wrote:I don't think McMillan would be a great coach for a team like the Lakers who have championship aspirations. He would be perfect for a team like Minnesota with what they were hoping Thibs would be able to accomplish. Set expectations, demand hard work, encourage growth. Nate is actually really good at that stuff and Thibs is more of a rambling madman. Or Chicago. Nate is like the actually good version of what they were hoping Boylen could but failed spectacularly to be.

I think Nate will be great for the Hawks as well

With the Hawks, it doesn't matter if Nate can't draw up a play if his life depended on it, Trae Young can do all the heavy lifting

The discipline that Nate instills will be good for a young team like the Hawks who are looking to take the next step, and for the vets on the team to continue to buy in
jofanitres
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#52 » by jofanitres » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:50 pm

As a pacers fan, I'm happy.
But there was a radical change in 14 days.
Sign with him an extension before the palyoffs.
And if we had lost 4-1, would they have done the same?
There was that probability but they signed it with him anyway before the playoffs ...
He was stabbed in the back. No loyalty
from the pacers organization.

Return to Indiana Pacers