Who Should Be The Next Coach?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,042

Who Should Be The Next Coach? 

Post#1 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:54 pm

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2020/08/26/nate-mcmillan-fired-six-candidates-pacers-coaching-opening/3444116001/

J.Michael at the Indystar lists 9 possibilities that are "some of the popular names circulating for NBA coaching positions". He does not imply that any are specifically in play for the Pacers.

1) Mike D'Antoni
2) Kenny Atkinson
3) Brett Brown
4) Adrian Griffin
5) Becky Hammon
6) Mark Jackson
7) Jason Kidd
8) Ty Lue
9) Ime Udoka

Do you like someone from this list? Someone not mentioned?
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Re: Who Should the Next Coach Be? 

Post#2 » by 8305 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:28 pm

The work Atkinson did in Brooklyn merits another look. Innovative, got buy in and developed players.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 931

Post#3 » by Tom White » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:24 pm

I may be the worst person on this forum to answer this question, because I rarely watch other teams when they are not playing the Pacers. So my knowledge about assistants on those teams is next to nothing. Heck, I can barely tell you what Pacers assistants like Bayno and Jones actually do, let alone what others around the league contribute to their teams success. When thinking about the team's future staff, I do hope they bring in an assistant who can serve as an actual big-man coach. Seems to me that has been lacking in the past.

I do know this though. I would hate to see either Jackson or Kidd get the job. They both have always struck me as arrogant, self-centered a-hole types. I just don't think that is a good type of person to add to an organization regardless of their knowledge about the game.

The question also brings to mind some people who never get mentioned, and maybe they just don't have any interest in coaching. I wonder what Steve Nash is doing these days, as one example?
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,264

Post#4 » by boomershadow » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:41 pm

I like Dave Joerger.

Yeah, I know he seems hard to get along with, but his teams always seem to outperform their roster. That's the opposite of what we have been doing.

I wouldn't mind hiring an assistant, but I don't really know much about most of them.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,047

Post#5 » by Wizop » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:29 pm

boomershadow wrote:I wouldn't mind hiring an assistant, but I don't really know much about most of them.

I don't know them either, but I know I don't like hiring retreads.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:05 pm

Tom White wrote:I may be the worst person on this forum to answer this question, because I rarely watch other teams when they are not playing the Pacers. So my knowledge about assistants on those teams is next to nothing. Heck, I can barely tell you what Pacers assistants like Bayno and Jones actually do, let alone what others around the league contribute to their teams success. When thinking about the team's future staff, I do hope they bring in an assistant who can serve as an actual big-man coach. Seems to me that has been lacking in the past.

I do know this though. I would hate to see either Jackson or Kidd get the job. They both have always struck me as arrogant, self-centered a-hole types. I just don't think that is a good type of person to add to an organization regardless of their knowledge about the game.

Yeah, both burned out their welcome in their previous stops before with how hard they were to get along with. Kidd attempted a power play in Brooklyn his 1st season, and tried again in Milwaukee but failed. Jackson was hard to live with in GS due to his constant preaching at the players (while not living what he was preaching).

The question also brings to mind some people who never get mentioned, and maybe they just don't have any interest in coaching. I wonder what Steve Nash is doing these days, as one example?

Senior Advisor for the Canadian Mens National Team and consultant to the Golden State Warriors.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#7 » by pacers33granger » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:05 pm

This list is why I was ok with the extension. It's really a bunch of meh for the most part and there are some extremely troubling names on there. I know Mark Jackson is a Pacers legend, but really? And Kidd had less of a system than Nate.

Out of the list only D'Antoni really has a set style. The rest, no clue what you'll get. That's not fair to the ones who haven't gotten a shot, but that's why they're more of a gamble and retreads get hired more than seems reasonable.

I also think that D'Antoni is one of the few who would accept a shorter contract. Most of the other ones would probably want 3-4 year deals for security that Simon may be hesitant to give out to a rookie. Or they may want a job like NOP where they can build with an up and coming roster.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#8 » by Topofthekey » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:15 pm

D'Antoni, Becky Hammon

Steve Nash is interesting. As is Chris Paul, if he suddenly decides to retire lol

How about someone from Brad Stevens' staff. Maybe Pacers can poach some of that magic he's worked on the Celtics

Or maybe someone from the Warriors
Wizop
RealGM

Re: Who Should Be The Next Coach? 

Post#9 » by Wizop » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:28 am

I am still in the Tom Moore school of style. With the Colts he got the best 11 on the field and made it his job to put them in a position to succeed. I don't like coaches who want to change the roster to fit a system. I want the system to fit the roster.

Nate thought he was doing that and perhaps he did on offense but Burke seemed to only have one defense. I have been saying for a long time that not practicing a zone defense kept us from practicing a zone offense.

Sent from my phone.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#10 » by boomershadow » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:42 am

I do worry that MDA is just as one dimensional as Nate is. However, if that one dimension gets us an efficient offense to watch for the first time in years I'm on board.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:31 am

boomershadow wrote:I do worry that MDA is just as one dimensional as Nate is. However, if that one dimension gets us an efficient offense to watch for the first time in years I'm on board.

I wouldn't know what to do if we had an efficient offense. Just, that's not Indiana basketball. I mean, when Nate tried to adapt and run a weave offense in game 4, it just made me think of old school IU style basketball (or Indiana HS basketball), especially with the all man, all the time defense. :lol:
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#12 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:38 pm

I'd like to see them bring Collison back to be the head coach. What do you think about that idea Vorda?
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#13 » by Jake0890 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:51 pm

Personally, I like Mike D'Antoni and Kenny Atkinson. We'd see a fresh offensive system from D'Antoni and Atkinson's ball movement offense in Brooklyn made their team look better than they actually were. It was impressive how much he got out of his players - both developing young guys and getting vets to buy in. I'd also be fine with Becky Hammon - her time is coming, might as well be with us.

I think I have a stronger preference of guys I DON'T want coaching this team. Mark Jackson, Jason Kidd, Ty Lue, Brett Brown. Miss me with any of these re-tread guys. They're boring and proven they don't bring anything exciting or new to the table. It's like we'd be doing the Nate McMillan experience all over again.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#14 » by Moooose » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:14 pm

My list would be:

1) Mike D'Antoni - the most proven choice among all candidates.
2) Kenny Atkinson - very promising and I like how he motivates and develops confidence in players. I have this gut feel about him being someone like a Mike Budenholzer when given the right opportunity.
3) Becky Hammon - Has the best training among all candidates. And she really is smart, a cut above the rest.
4) Mark Jackson - I think he deserves another chance, and Reggie endorses him too.

I am also intrigued with the possibility of bringing in Sam Cassell. I thought I was alone on the idea until I saw an article:

https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/08/28/pacers-4-dark-horse-candidates-to-become-the-next-head-coach-for-indiana/

Not saying he's a top choice but I'd pick him ahead of Kidd, Lue, Griffin, Udoka, Stackhouse, and some others.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#15 » by boomershadow » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:51 pm

Moooose wrote:My list would be:
I am also intrigued with the possibility of bringing in Sam Cassell. I thought I was alone on the idea until I saw an article:

https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/08/28/pacers-4-dark-horse-candidates-to-become-the-next-head-coach-for-indiana/

Joerger is on that list too, and while I'm not the only person I've seen mention his name, it isn't super common.

I admit I'm not sure what all Cassell does on the Clippers, but the article calls Rivers a "top tier head coach" which I disagree with whole-heartedly. Know anything more about it?
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Post#16 » by Grang33r » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:12 am

Jake0890 wrote:Personally, I like Mike D'Antoni and Kenny Atkinson. We'd see a fresh offensive system from D'Antoni and Atkinson's ball movement offense in Brooklyn made their team look better than they actually were. It was impressive how much he got out of his players - both developing young guys and getting vets to buy in. I'd also be fine with Becky Hammon - her time is coming, might as well be with us.

D'Antoni puzzles me the most in all of this. For one, why would he go from a Houston team to a Pacers team? Second, i assume he would demand a ton of money and last few months Pacers have been fighting off reports of them being cheap. Third, by all accounts by league insiders is, we don't have the roster anywhere to what it needs to be for him to have success. How much player movement will there be this short and unusual off-season?
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Moooose
Starter

Post#17 » by Moooose » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:03 am

boomershadow wrote:
Moooose wrote:My list would be:

Joerger is on that list too, and while I'm not the only person I've seen mention his name, it isn't super common.

I admit I'm not sure what all Cassell does on the Clippers, but the article calls Rivers a "top tier head coach" which I disagree with whole-heartedly. Know anything more about it?

Ah, Joerger. I don't know much about him. Well, as compared to the other candidates on the list.

I don't know that much about Cassell as a coach, either. LOL. But he's been getting a lot of praises from players and was in the head coaching mix for some other teams in the past. I think I've read elsewhere that he has helped Doc a lot, as well as other the Clippers assistant for the success of the team. Also, I think that him being a serviceable player with extensive experience is a big plus.
Moooose
Starter

Post#18 » by Moooose » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:24 am

Grang33r wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:Personally, I like Mike D'Antoni and Kenny Atkinson. We'd see a fresh offensive system from D'Antoni and Atkinson's ball movement offense in Brooklyn made their team look better than they actually were. It was impressive how much he got out of his players - both developing young guys and getting vets to buy in. I'd also be fine with Becky Hammon - her time is coming, might as well be with us.

D'Antoni puzzles me the most in all of this. For one, why would he go from a Houston team to a Pacers team? Second, i assume he would demand a ton of money and last few months Pacers have been fighting off reports of them being cheap. Third, by all accounts by league insiders is, we don't have the roster anywhere to what it needs to be for him to have success. How much player movement will there be this short and unusual off-season?

I have the same question about him wanting the Pacers job. The only answer I can think of is money.

I am most intrigued with how KP will assemble a team for D'Antoni. That's probably why I like him among all other candidates for the job. The roster / rotation issues will finally get sorted out, one way or the other. Bold moves, maybe, but nothing crazy as I think we already have a good team in here. I just think his acquisition would mean cutting off the conservative approach the Pacers have been practicing since then.

I am not talking about an overhaul though, and playing without a center. I strongly believe we have one of the best pick and roll players in Domas, who D'Antoni can utilize a lot. And a heady point guard in Brogdon who can only benefit from a good system. He's not flashy at all, but can be overly effective. And we have a lot of good role players in the fold that D'Antoni would want to keep - Warren, McDermott, McConnell, Lamb, Sumner, Sampson, the Holidays.

The X-Factor would be Vic. If he recovers from his injuries, can be that dynamic go-to-guy for him. I believe we have until February next season to figure that out.

We have a better team than what D'Antoni had in New York. And so I believe we can't be worse than that.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#19 » by Wizop » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:34 pm

Watching the Fever has me wondering about WNBA coaches.

Sent from my phone.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#20 » by pacers33granger » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:43 pm

I believe the reason D'Antoni's name has been floated around is because he had some contentious negotiations with Houston who didn't extend his deal ultimately and Houston ownership may want to move on. He may be seeking more money than Simon would be comfortable paying a coach, but he could also be just seeking a job. He's not going to be interested in the other spots that are open as those are rebuild situations, except Brooklyn.

Return to Indiana Pacers