Oladipo Trade Ideas

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Re: Oladipo Trade Ideas 

Post#281 » by Boneman2 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 1:38 pm

NYG wrote:How low is Oladipo's value right now? What is the minimum Pacers fans would expect?

At this point KP might as well let him prove his worth before making him available. There's really nothing to lose and everything to gain.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Post#282 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Dec 4, 2020 3:39 pm

NYG wrote:How low is Oladipo's value right now? What is the minimum Pacers fans would expect?

His trade value is low, but his on court value has a chance to be extremely high, and at worst, is likely higher than his trade value at this point.

We wouldn’t expect a trade at this point. Indy isn’t the type of team to make trades just for making them, so we’re likely to give this roster 30-40 games before deciding where it’s likely to grow into and looking for deals.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#283 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Dec 9, 2020 6:00 pm

Mark Montieth has a good retelling of the summer of 1996 when Reggie entertained free agency offers from the Knicks and others, and compared it to Vic and the Pacers. I have been pretty calm about Vic throughout this so far, mostly because I remember this process with Reggie too.

https://markmontieth.com/stories/1996-reggie-has-a-message-for-victor/
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#284 » by Tom White » Wed Dec 9, 2020 6:30 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Mark Montieth has a good retelling of the summer of 1996 when Reggie entertained free agency offers from the Knicks and others, and compared it to Vic and the Pacers. I have been pretty calm about Vic throughout this so far, mostly because I remember this process with Reggie too.

My memory of that is Reggie wanted to be a Knick so bad he could taste it. Then the Knicks signed Allen Houston instead and Reggie was like "Spike who?" :lol:
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#285 » by Topofthekey » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:52 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Mark Montieth has a good retelling of the summer of 1996 when Reggie entertained free agency offers from the Knicks and others, and compared it to Vic and the Pacers. I have been pretty calm about Vic throughout this so far, mostly because I remember this process with Reggie too.

The difference being, Reggie at that time was in his prime, having given the team some memorable performances in the playoffs

Vic currently, very much less so
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#286 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:25 pm

Topofthekey wrote:

The difference being, Reggie at that time was in his prime, having given the team some memorable performances in the playoffs

Vic currently, very much less so

Oladipo is also in his prime, though one snatched from him as he is injured. :dontknow:
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#287 » by Topofthekey » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:53 pm

My biggest concern with Vic is if he plays well, but not that well

As in, he plays well enough to entice some other team to overpay and throw the max at him, but not well enough for the Pacers to want to max him themselves
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Post#288 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:06 pm

Topofthekey wrote:My biggest concern with Vic is if he plays well, but not that well

As in, he plays well enough to entice some other team to overpay and throw the max at him, but not well enough for the Pacers to want to max him themselves

If that's the case then you let him go. If you can get a sign and trade if not just say Bye!
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#289 » by Topofthekey » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:20 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:My biggest concern with Vic is if he plays well, but not that well

If that's the case then you let him go. If you can get a sign and trade if not just say Bye!

Yes

And I feel like that's the most likely outcome, too

I think there's only a small chance Vic plays like his 2018 self. Equally, there's also only a very small chance that he will be terrible

Most likely outcome, I think, is he'll play well enough to garner interest from various teams, but not well enough that maxing him becomes an easy decision. Meaning unless we bite the bullet and commit to maxing him even if it's an overpay, we're most likely going to lose him to some other team who's willing to do it

Of course, there's an outside chance that the team performs so well and everything gels so perfectly that he doesn't want to leave and simply rebuffs all other teams and re-signs on a fair contract

It's a pretty fluid situation anyway, something to monitor as the team gets closer to the trade deadline
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Post#290 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:28 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

Yes

And I feel like that's the most likely outcome, too

I think there's only a small chance Vic plays like his 2018 self. Equally, there's also only a very small chance that he will be terrible

Most likely outcome, I think, is he'll play well enough to garner interest from various teams, but not well enough that maxing him becomes an easy decision. Meaning unless we bite the bullet and commit to maxing him even if it's an overpay, we're most likely going to lose him to some other team who's willing to do it

Of course, there's an outside chance that the team performs so well and everything gels so perfectly that he doesn't want to leave and simply rebuffs all other teams and re-signs on a fair contract

It's a pretty fluid situation anyway, something to monitor as the team gets closer to the trade deadline

The thing about Victor's play/production he may find that he doesn't get as many shots as 2018, he's got better team mates now who can carry the team like Brogdon and Warren, not that Collison and Bogie were trash or anything but I'm pretty sure the 21 pacers are better than the 2018 pacers all around.

So my point is we need to see how Vic is performing and not just look at his stats.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#291 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:08 pm

With guys like Paul George and Rudy Gobert extending, and with the expectations that Jrue and Kawhi probably stay where they’re at, Oladipo is looking like he may be the absolute top free agent on the market this offseason, if he plays well.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#292 » by Topofthekey » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 am

Someone's definitely throwing the max at Vic

Pacers may have a tough decision upcoming

Return to Indiana Pacers