2020 Draft & Free Agency

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 467

Re: 2020 Draft & Free Agency 

Post#141 » by granger05 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:46 pm

I saw that Hayward news on the wiretap and was curious what it means. It pushes the decision to after the draft, but I'm not sure what the ramifications of that are for him and the team or whether this implies something about what both may be planning.
Lazlo4D
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#142 » by Lazlo4D » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:19 pm

granger05 wrote:I saw that Hayward news on the wiretap and was curious what it means. It pushes the decision to after the draft, but I'm not sure what the ramifications of that are for him and the team or whether this implies something about what both may be planning.

Maybe a Hayward trade would include their #14 draft pick and the Celtics or other team wants to see who may fall to there before doing the trade.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#143 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:59 pm

Lazlo4D wrote:
granger05 wrote:I saw that Hayward news on the wiretap and was curious what it means. It pushes the decision to after the draft, but I'm not sure what the ramifications of that are for him and the team or whether this implies something about what both may be planning.

Maybe a Hayward trade would include their #14 draft pick and the Celtics or other team wants to see who may fall to there before doing the trade.

These are two solid possibilities. The other big one is either working on a long term extension or a sign and trade and needed a little more time to do so.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#144 » by Topofthekey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:32 pm

I mean, there are two glaring facts here:

a) Hayward has NOT picked up the player option

It's a signal that Hayward and his agent are looking at opting out in order to sign a longer term deal in an S&T, otherwise picking up the player option is a no brainer, and he would have opted in by now

b) Celtics agreed to extend the deadline for picking up the option

It's a signal that something is very close to fruition, the two day extension is probably for all parties involved to work out whatever kinks there are - they aren't extending the deadline just for the lulz

So either whatever kinks get ironed out, and we see a S&T announced pretty soon, or negotiations fall apart and Hayward ends up picking up the option anyway

It's of course also possible that Hayward opts out and simply signs a longer term deal to stay with the Celtics, but this is quite unlikely considering that Hayward wants out, and Celtics cannot afford to keep him anyway (unless Hayward agrees to a steep discount, but the likelihood of this is almost zero)

The only mystery is which team (teams?) is involved in the S&T negotiations

Considering that Celtics wouldn't want long term salary back (else they'll just keep Hayward), they are likely negotiating with a team that has some kind of expiring salaries that can be used to match Hayward's new contract

If the Pacers is the mystery team, the only expiring contract that would roughly match Hayward's new contract is Vic?

So, is a Hayward for Vic S&T impending?
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#145 » by Topofthekey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:48 pm

And if indeed a Hayward for Vic S&T is in the works, then the next logical question to ask is: who starts with Brogdon in the backcourt?

Three possibilities:

a) they decide that Aaron is ready (good?)

b) they decide one of Warren or Hayward can play guard (...interesting)

c) KP is not done, there will be another trade to bring in a starting SG (exciting!)
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#146 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:47 am

Topofthekey wrote:I mean, there are two glaring facts here:

a) Hayward has NOT picked up the player option

It's a signal that Hayward and his agent are looking at opting out in order to sign a longer term deal in an S&T, otherwise picking up the player option is a no brainer, and he would have opted in by now

Could be that he also didn't want to be tradeable on draft night if he had the belief that Ainge was looking to trade him somewhere he didn't want to go. Boston could have agreed to delay if Ainge still wanted the capacity to trade him later.

b) Celtics agreed to extend the deadline for picking up the option

It's a signal that something is very close to fruition, the two day extension is probably for all parties involved to work out whatever kinks there are - they aren't extending the deadline just for the lulz

Agreed there's a reason for this. Could be for him to decide if he wants to extend or just opt in. Or could be to work out a S&T.

So either whatever kinks get ironed out, and we see a S&T announced pretty soon, or negotiations fall apart and Hayward ends up picking up the option anyway

It's of course also possible that Hayward opts out and simply signs a longer term deal to stay with the Celtics, but this is quite unlikely considering that Hayward wants out, and Celtics cannot afford to keep him anyway (unless Hayward agrees to a steep discount, but the likelihood of this is almost zero)

The only mystery is which team (teams?) is involved in the S&T negotiations

Considering that Celtics wouldn't want long term salary back (else they'll just keep Hayward), they are likely negotiating with a team that has some kind of expiring salaries that can be used to match Hayward's new contract

If the Pacers is the mystery team, the only expiring contract that would roughly match Hayward's new contract is Vic?

So, is a Hayward for Vic S&T impending?

Sounds like it's Atlanta, but Atlanta has enough cap room to absorb him, so not sure the reasoning there, unless they want to use more room than they have with other signings, too.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#147 » by Topofthekey » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:06 am

Yes, the wiretap notwithstanding, Hawks does sound like a good bet

They're looking to compete, and trading for Hayward fits with that direction
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#148 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:36 am

If I was Hayward's financial advisor I'd tell him to opt in and let the Celtics either pay him or trade him then get a new contract in the next off season. $34.1 million is a lot of money to give up.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#149 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:31 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:If I was Hayward's financial advisor I'd tell him to opt in and let the Celtics either pay him or trade him then get a new contract in the next off season. $34.1 million is a lot of money to give up.

Either way he wouldn’t be giving up $34m. If he opts out and signs a long term deal starting at, say, $25m, he’ll have given up $9m this year for locking in a long term deal. But, by opting out, he’ll inherently be getting a bigger contract than he likely should, as otherwise, he could just make $34m this year and then sign a 4/80 next summer.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#150 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:39 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:If I was Hayward's financial advisor I'd tell him to opt in and let the Celtics either pay him or trade him then get a new contract in the next off season. $34.1 million is a lot of money to give up.

Either way he wouldn’t be giving up $34m. If he opts out and signs a long term deal starting at, say, $25m, he’ll have given up $9m this year for locking in a long term deal. But, by opting out, he’ll inherently be getting a bigger contract than he likely should, as otherwise, he could just make $34m this year and then sign a 4/80 next summer.

I don't see anyone giving him $25 million a year. It could happen the idiocy of NBA GM's is abundant! I'm more about $18 to 20 million for 4 years. But he maximizes his earnings by taking the $34 million this year and getting a new deal next summer.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#151 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:55 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I don't see anyone giving him $25 million a year. It could happen the idiocy of NBA GM's is abundant! I'm more about $18 to 20 million for 4 years. But he maximizes his earnings by taking the $34 million this year and getting a new deal next summer.

Think of it this way. He’s got a guaranteed $34m in his pocket. If he opts out, he could sign up to. 4 year deal, so he’d only be negotiating 3 “New Years”. So whatever he signs for, $34m is already in there, and the rest is what he negotiated. A 4/100 is really a new 3/66m added on to his current deal, in essence. A 4/80 would require him to accept essentially a new 3/46m deal, or around a $15m average. Other than David West opting out for a chance at a ring at the end of his career, I’ve never seen a guy opt out and take less money.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#152 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:27 pm

Alize has not been tendered a qualifying offer yet. Deadline is tomorrow at 5pm.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#153 » by Wizop » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#154 » by Wizop » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:45 am

I like this virtual draft. They're keeping the clock going and not waiting for TV interviews before starting it again. NBATV falling behind but I don't mind that.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#155 » by Topofthekey » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:41 am

Wizop wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my phone.

If Pacers really are in negotiations for a Hayward S&T, my only wish is that Myles is not involved

I would really hate to see a Myles for Hayward trade, even if Hayward signs a new contract at the same value of Myles' salary

Celtics have been reported to have interest in Myles, so they'll probably push for Myles in a Hayward trade. I trust KP to be smart enough to reject any sort of package for Myles, if the centerpiece coming back is Hayward
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#156 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:42 am

Well, the price to dump a salary similar to TJ Leaf has been established.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#157 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:45 am

Topofthekey wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my phone.

If Pacers really are in negotiations for a Hayward S&T, my only wish is that Myles is not involved

I would really hate to see a Myles for Hayward trade, even if Hayward signs a new contract at the same value of Myles' salary

Celtics have been reported to have interest in Myles, so they'll probably push for Myles in a Hayward trade. I trust KP to be smart enough to reject any sort of package for Myles, if the centerpiece coming back is Hayward

I guess it would otherwise be Oladipo, but that would be an almost unplayable lineup defensively with having Brogdon responsible for chasing small guards (which he’s terrible at) and either Warren or Hayward chasing quick SG’s (which is also their greatest weaknesses).
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#158 » by Topofthekey » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:55 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my phone.

I guess it would otherwise be Oladipo, but that would be an almost unplayable lineup defensively with having Brogdon responsible for chasing small guards (which he’s terrible at) and either Warren or Hayward chasing quick SG’s (which is also their greatest weaknesses).

That'll make for an unconventional roster, that's for sure

If they really went ahead with Vic for Hayward, maybe KP has a follow up trade moving Warren for a guard

Or maybe they'd start Aaron and get Warren to come off bench, which is interesting, but the problem with that is demoting Warren to the bench is probably not a good PR move, considering he bought in to the team and played with great effort ever since arriving on the team

The other option is, of course, to get Hayward to come off the bench, but having a $20m bench player sounds a little too rich for the team
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#159 » by Boneman2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:04 am

Pre-Draft Analysis
Stanley is arguably the draft's most explosive leaper with a 44-inch vertical that makes him a nightmare for defenses in transition. In addition to his bounce, his positional size at 6-6 and sound standstill shooting (36% from 3) gives him the ingredients to carve out a role as a 3-and-D style wing in the future. A 21-year-old freshman, Stanley can still stand to improve as a ball-handler, decision-maker and off-ball defender. - Schmitz

Not bad for such a late pick. Ft.Wayne should be thrilled.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Lazlo4D
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#160 » by Lazlo4D » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:06 am

Wow... for the 54th pick...

Return to Indiana Pacers