2020 Draft & Free Agency

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Re: 2020 Draft & Free Agency 

Post#341 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:38 pm

Wizop wrote:Story adds that Naz, Amida, and Hammonds all sign Exhibit 10s.

Sent from my phone.

Great catch! Thanks for sharing.

Technically, this puts us around $200k over the luxury tax line with 15 big league players. Either a stretch waive of Lecque would have to happen, or a trade. Of course, we could wait until mid-season, but spots dry up to dump salary then.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#342 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:38 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

Sent from my phone.

Technically, this puts us around $200k over the luxury tax line with 15 big league players. Either a stretch waive of Lecque would have to happen, or a trade. Of course, we could wait until mid-season, but spots dry up to dump salary then.

And also the mention of Naz Mitrou-Long brings us to 20 players in camp, a full "offseason roster".
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#343 » by Wizop » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:25 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

Sent from my phone.

Also possible that Martin has a small enough guarantee to make cutting him an option. However, my crystal ball says trade Doug at the deadline.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#344 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:07 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Sent from my phone.

Also possible that Martin has a small enough guarantee to make cutting him an option. However, my crystal ball says trade Doug at the deadline.

Sent from my phone.

I would agree on Martin. I would assume no more than $50k guaranteed, as then we could steer him toward Ft. Wayne. Anything more and he can't play for Ft. Wayne this year.

There's absolutely room for trades by mid-season. Maybe it's Doug? Just usually gets harder, and worse prices, mid-season than in the offseason.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#345 » by Wizop » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:30 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:There's absolutely room for trades by mid-season. Maybe it's Doug?

I say Doug because like Vic he expires.

Sent from my phone.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#346 » by Topofthekey » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:38 am

I think the single biggest key to the near term success of the team would be the efficacy of the Domas-Myles pairing

If I were KP, I would mandate it to be the top priority for Bjorkgren, getting as much as the team could out of them

They are both young, signed to long term deals

Getting them to both function at 100% potential and carrying the team that way is going to be the key driving factor to the team's success in the next two or three years

This is what the team should be built around, this should be the identity and direction of the team
Wizop
RealGM

Post#347 » by Wizop » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:32 pm

bit of a surprise. looks like a mid-season move is likely

Read on Twitter
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#348 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:42 pm

Wizop wrote:bit of a surprise. looks like a mid-season move is likely

Read on Twitter

If Lecque isn’t stretch waived by Dec. 9, I would assume that Martin will be waived out of camp to stay just under the luxury tax. We could go 14 into the season a bit and convert Bowen or Stanley to the active roster midseason, if desired, as their salaries would be prorated depending on when they’re converted.

We could always go into the season over and try and adjust then, but if history shows us anything, we’ll pay a higher price to do so.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#349 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:43 pm

It with that large of a guarantee, I’d assume they’re looking to get off Lecque before season begins and stick with Martin, so long as Martin is ready and productive in camp.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#350 » by Wizop » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:49 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:It with that large of a guarantee, I’d assume they’re looking to get off Lecque before season begins and stick with Martin, so long as Martin is ready and productive in camp.

I understand the reasoning but I wonder if they had any choice of who they'd get back from OKC in the Leaf deal. we'll see if he gets waived soon enough so there's little reason to speculate. if not though, I'd put the probability of a deadline deal, perhaps moving Dipo, pretty high.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#351 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:52 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:It with that large of a guarantee, I’d assume they’re looking to get off Lecque before season begins and stick with Martin, so long as Martin is ready and productive in camp.

I understand the reasoning but I wonder if they had any choice of who they'd get back from OKC in the Leaf deal. we'll see if he gets waived soon enough so there's little reason to speculate. if not though, I'd put the probability of a deadline deal, perhaps moving Dipo, pretty high.

Maybe to some extent. Most likely OKC said that for just one 2nd, they’d take on Leaf, but you have to take this minimum guy we had forced on us in our Chris Paul deal to Phoenix. The extra non guaranteed years make him a much lower cost if stretch waived though, so Pritchard might have picked him over for others due to his age, athleticism, and worst case, ease of waiving.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#352 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Dec 1, 2020 2:37 pm

I’ll be honest, I did not know that Ike was still pursuing an nba job.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#353 » by Boneman2 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:50 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I’ll be honest, I did not know that Ike was still pursuing an nba job.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I remember hoping the Pacers would select Ike in the 1st. Boy was I wrong
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#354 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:58 pm

Boneman2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:I’ll be honest, I did not know that Ike was still pursuing an nba job.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I remember hoping the Pacers would select Ike in the 1st. Boy was I wrong

Well, everybody wants a Bam now, and I’m betting that Ike will get some camp tryouts for a couple more years in hopes that his athleticism is waiting to be unleashed in the right system. :dontknow:
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#355 » by Jake0890 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 2:17 pm

Not sure if anyone posted it already, but Alize Johnson signed with the Raptors.

I'm a huge believer. The Raptors are gonna turn him into a quality NBA player. He has all the hustle and intangibles in the world and he's the kind of player every playoff team wants to fill some minutes with at the PF position. It's an absolute shame the Pacers never even really gave him his shot while he was here.
owlwo
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#356 » by owlwo » Sun Dec 6, 2020 2:54 am

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Sent from my phone.

Sent from my phone.

When is the end of free agency?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#357 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Dec 6, 2020 4:02 am

owlwo wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Sent from my phone.

When is the end of free agency?

Technically there is no end to free agency.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#358 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Dec 9, 2020 2:13 pm

Today’s the last day this season to waive and stretch a salary. Will be interesting to see if we elect to do so with Jalen Lecque, as that would be an Avenue to keep Kelan instead and stay under the luxury tax.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#359 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:24 pm

Kelan Martins contract will fully guarantee for the whole season if not waived by Wednesday at 5 pm. Just something to keep an eye on.

Return to Indiana Pacers