The Gordon Hayward Sign-and-Trade Thread

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Who would you like to see the Pacers trade for Hayward?

TJ Leaf ;)
32%
Myles Turner
11%
Victor Oladipo
18%
Aaron Holiday
7%
TJ Warren
7%
Domantas Sabonis
4%
Jeremy Lamb
7%
Don't trade for Gordon Hayward
14%

Total votes: 28

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Re: The Gordon Hayward Sign-and-Trade Thread 

Post#41 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:52 pm

boomershadow wrote:I really don't love the idea of a Sabonis/Warren/Hayward front court on the defensive end. I'd prefer the deal not to include Turner. And DEFINITELY not Turner and Warren lol.

Well now we aren't gonna have to worry about it!! :lol:
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#42 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:56 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:With the signing of Justin Holiday, we are technically over the tax line right now by a couple hundred thousand dollars, and we still legally have to fill at least one more roster spot (ideally, two). So, theoretically, if we are to acquire Hayward, we would need to cut some salary in the deal.

Now, on the opposite side, Boston has the ability to use their full MLE right now and stay under the hard cap that using it would cause. I’m not exact on their money right now, but looks like they’re roughly 30m under the hard cap right now. If they plan on using their full MLE, that takes them down to only about $20m they could take back in salary in a possible Hayward S&T. As you can see, they can’t take back the extra salary that we need to get off of.

So, it’s complicated. Even if Ainge wants to help Gordon and doesn’t care about helping Indy, it’s going to be tough, and this all happens whole Boston is also trying to negotiate on their MLE, and maybe even keeping open the chance that they keep Hayward themselves on a long term deal.

I think this is why the Hayward thing didn't happen. One thing to remember is that the Tax doesn't have to be paid until the season is over so there's plenty of time to dump TJ Leaf or Lamb if we have to in order to get under the tax line. Never know Victor could be heading out after 20 games or so once people get a chance to see him play.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#43 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:03 pm

boomershadow wrote:
Tom White wrote:
Boneman2 wrote:The report said the Pacers offered Myles + Doug, Boston refused and wanted more.

I have to ask, what report?

There were a few tweets posted in the GB thread saying that Indy offered Turner and McDermott and that Boston refused and wanted Turner + Warren or Oladipo.

If it's true that we offered them Turner and Doug and they said no and a deal was set for GH then Ainge should be kicking himself in the butt right now. WE won that one!

Sorry to all you guys who wanted Hayward in a Blue and Gold uniform in 2021 but that would have been a disaster!!
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#44 » by Topofthekey » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:27 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Realistically though, I don't see how Celtics have any leverage in this, at all

If it's about money, I'm sure one of those cap space teams (Hornets? Pistons?) would be willing to give him 4 years/$100m

If it's about his preference on where to play, he obviously wants out from Celtics, and prefers to play with the Pacers

The Celtics' only role is to facilitate a S&T to the Pacers, and common sense dictates that they would want to do that as well, as the alternative means they lose Hayward for nothing

Called it, somewhat

Looks like we'll finally stop being bombarded with those Hayward for Turner trades, so that's a win for me
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#45 » by Boneman2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:33 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:Realistically though, I don't see how Celtics have any leverage in this, at all

If it's about money, I'm sure one of those cap space teams (Hornets? Pistons?) would be willing to give him 4 years/$100m

If it's about his preference on where to play, he obviously wants out from Celtics, and prefers to play with the Pacers

The Celtics' only role is to facilitate a S&T to the Pacers, and common sense dictates that they would want to do that as well, as the alternative means they lose Hayward for nothing

Called it, somewhat

Looks like we'll finally stop being bombarded with those Hayward for Turner trades, so that's a win for me

:D
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#46 » by Topofthekey » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:35 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:Which is close to what some Celtics posters have annoyingly been pushing for non stop

That's why it would be so, so sweet if the actual trade ended up being Lamb and Doug instead

It's not like we have anything to lose if Hayward ended up signing with Knicks or another team

Celtics lose Hayward for nothing though if he indeed simply signed into cap space with another team

I understand that a package of Lamb and Doug is underwhelming, and Celtics wouldn't want to help us acquire Hayward that cheaply

But if their desire to spite the face by cutting off the nose is stronger than their desire to recoup at least some value, then watching them do just that is also a satisfying win in my books

I suggested Lamb and Doug a couple days ago and got negative feedback.

So now we sit back with some toasted pine nuts and watch them lose Hayward for nothing

Delicious

Absolute win for us

About the Turner + Doug for Hayward offer, I doubt we actually offered that. More likely it's the usual revisionist BS printed by Celtics writers trying to influence the narrative

But if Ainge had really turned that offer down, then it's all the more satisfying watching Hayward sign with the Hornets and Ainge getting absolutely nothing out of it
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#47 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:50 am

Topofthekey wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
I suggested Lamb and Doug a couple days ago and got negative feedback.

So now we sit back with some toasted pine nuts and watch them lose Hayward for nothing

Delicious

Absolute win for us

About the Turner + Doug for Hayward offer, I doubt we actually offered that. More likely it's the usual revisionist BS printed by Celtics writers trying to influence the narrative

But if Ainge had really turned that offer down, then it's all the more satisfying watching Hayward sign with the Hornets and Ainge getting absolutely nothing out of it

It's all about making Danny Ainge look good, he's a myth and a legend in boston for getting a big pile of draft picks, but other than Tatum and Brown they don't have a lot to show for all those picks. Smart is a good player, but they drafted a lot of duds.

Return to Indiana Pacers