TJ Warren's ceiling on Pacers?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

sasquatchBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,450

TJ Warren's ceiling on Pacers? 

Post#1 » by sasquatchBob » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:53 pm

I have seen only few of Pacers games last year but it looks like he has improved. His 3 point shot improvement turned out turned out to be real and I think he can keep it up at this percentage. He was always good at long mid rangers, so it was only a matter of time until he starts shooting 3. You needed a scorer on your team and TJ Warren is just that. His defense also looks better in your system. How much further do you think he can improve? Where do you see him on this team?

Spoiler:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Re: TJ Warren's ceiling on Pacers? 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:04 pm

Realistically, I'm hoping for continued slight improvements defensively that come with more learning and time. Offensively, I'd really like to see him draw more free throw attempts. His acrobatics are amazing in getting a shot off, and almost so good that he can nearly avoid impact altogether. I'd like to see him draw that impact, get up closer to 5 FTA a night, and keep improving that FT% a bit and simply continue to become a more efficient scorer. Hopefully, Bjorkgren can draw up some offensive plays that allow Warren and Oladipo to complement each other as attacking wings that can both shoot (so long as Oladipo's shot returns with his strengthened quad), rather than cannibalize each other as McMillan allowed to happen. With that, and if his numbers can hold up with a bit faster pace than playing under McMillan allowed, and I could see him be a 23/5/2 type player with a TS% north of 61% (which was last year's). Only 4 players in the league put that up last year, and I think it's not too crazy to hope for that type of improvement. I don't expect it, but I hope for it. :wink:
sasquatchBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,450

Post#3 » by sasquatchBob » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:10 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Realistically, I'm hoping for continued slight improvements defensively that come with more learning and time. Offensively, I'd really like to see him draw more free throw attempts. His acrobatics are amazing in getting a shot off, and almost so good that he can nearly avoid impact altogether. I'd like to see him draw that impact, get up closer to 5 FTA a night, and keep improving that FT% a bit and simply continue to become a more efficient scorer. Hopefully, Bjorkgren can draw up some offensive plays that allow Warren and Oladipo to complement each other as attacking wings that can both shoot (so long as Oladipo's shot returns with his strengthened quad), rather than cannibalize each other as McMillan allowed to happen. With that, and if his numbers can hold up with a bit faster pace than playing under McMillan allowed, and I could see him be a 23/5/2 type player with a TS% north of 61% (which was last year's). Only 4 players in the league put that up last year, and I think it's not too crazy to hope for that type of improvement. I don't expect it, but I hope for it. :wink:

I'm not sure if you want to see him trying to absorb contact. In Phoenix he had lots of scary falls like that. On Suns forum we (half-)joked that he should start playing with a helmet.

As for Warren sharing offensive duties with Oladipo that is what I would like to see too. He failed to do so with Booker. Both were good players but just didn't mesh. I'm a bit concerned that with his style of play it's hard to integrate him in a modern offense.

I'm big fan of Tony Buckets but I think the only way for him to truly excel is to be a number 1 option. Realistically speaking I don't think he's capable of doing that as he's just not that good. But then again, you never know. He has improved every season that he's played in the NBA.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:34 pm

Yeah, he made all the same faces here with contact, but he barely missed any games.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#5 » by Topofthekey » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:58 pm

The biggest improvement Pacers made this offseason is replacing old Nate, and new Nate sounds like a good replacement

If Warren can be a 19ppg scorer under old Nate's ugly, dysfunctional offense, I think he can easily be a 20-22ppg scorer if new Nate lives up to the promise

The only way Warren doesn't improve as a scorer is if new Nate somehow turned out to be a terrible hire (highly unlikely I feel), or he sacrifices and allows the offense to focus on someone else (Myles? Brogdon?)

I have a feeling that at least 1 or 2 Pacers players are going to have "break out" seasons in 2021, and Warren could be one of them
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#6 » by Boneman2 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:59 pm

TJ is perfect for the Pacers. Much like Bogie used to do, he doesn’t mess with the continuity and flow. Yet he is deadly when called upon, usually pressed against the shot clock.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne

Return to Indiana Pacers