Shams: Oladipo to Houston for Levert in Harden trade (Deal Complete)

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,662

Re: Shams: Oladipo to Houston for Levert in Harden trade 

Post#101 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:14 pm

Wizop wrote:trade isn't official yet and WireTap has Vic talking Miami. hope he doesn't screw this trade up.

Scoot probably knows better than I but I believe the only way Vic can screw this trade up is not passing his physical.
Tom White
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#102 » by Tom White » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:19 pm

Now that a couple days have passed, I guess I'll put in my two cents worth.

When Oladipo came to the Pacers I was really excited. He was a favorite of mine back to his days at IU. He brought a level of enthusiasm, effort, clutch play and just plain gusto a team in need of all that. It didn't take him long until he had already hit more game-winning shots than the guy he replaced had in all his years here. All was good.

Then came the injury. Obviously, it was going to be a long, hard road back, and it has been. I still wonder if something changed in him during that time, or whether it instead revealed something that had been beneath the surface, but there was a change. Did someone get inside his head, or did he realize his career could literally be over in a snap, and if he wanted to be elsewhere he had better make that known and get on with it. Maybe you literally can not go home again, as they say. I don't know. Doesn't matter at this point.

Oh, and about that stuff with him telling other players he wanted to play with them? I played music for a number of years, in a number of different bands. Time to time some of us in my current band would go see other bands that we knew in order to take a listen. At the end of the night it was not uncommon for one of us to say to the other band "Hey, you guys ought to hire me." or "Can I join your band?" It was not a matter of being unfaithful to our current band. Rather, it was our way of complimenting the other band on the job they were doing. Both sides understood that, and it was appreciated. No harm, no ill will, no foul.

Anyway, after all that rambling, I'll just say I wish him the best and will root for him when he is not playing the Pacers. I'll also look forward to finding out what LeVert can do for this team. It should be interesting.

So best to the Pacers and best to Victor. Now toss that ball up and let's get going.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 2,045

Post#103 » by Wizop » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:51 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
Wizop wrote:trade isn't official yet and WireTap has Vic talking Miami. hope he doesn't screw this trade up.

Scoot probably knows better than I but I believe the only way Vic can screw this trade up is not passing his physical.

I think it depends upon whether it has been officially agreed to and submitted to the league. if not, Houston could back out.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,975

Post#104 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:19 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Have to assume both teams will want deep physicals on the guys before it’s approved. They have 48 hours to do so. But I think Dipo would be cool with the rest of the year in Houston with his fellow DMV guy John Wall before hitting free agency.

physicals are part of the process, but I' read that there hadn't been an official call to the league and I think that comes before physicals.

Vic may be okay with a year in Houston, but will Houston be okay with him not wanting to resign there? besides, I'll bet someone called Miami to see if they wanted to get into the deal and they declined or offered too little.

Were waiting on the physicals for the 3 team deal that has to occur before we can trade with Houston. That deal with Levert being a Rocket has to happen completely before we can trade them Oladipo. This was required so that Houston could maximize their TPE’s they create as part of all these moves. Otherwise, making it a 4 team deal would’ve allowed us to join the original deal and sped up our process, but wouldn’t have worked for other reasons.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#105 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:49 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:

I think it depends upon whether it has been officially agreed to and submitted to the league. if not, Houston could back out.

To go further in depth, the Cleveland/Brooklyn/Houston deal is official in that it has been called in and processed by the league. However, it’s not totally official in that teams have 48 hours from the league call to finalize any physicals. Thus, Houston doesn’t have the ability to trade us Levert (and their 2023 2nd) for Oladipo until after that deal gets totally, 100% finalized. Normally, this isn’t an issue, but there’s a lot of guys in that original deal (as well as both Levert and Oladipo in the 2nd) that likely require physicals for all teams. Otherwise, physicals often get waived.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,662

Post#106 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:03 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:

To go further in depth, the Cleveland/Brooklyn/Houston deal is official in that it has been called in and processed by the league. However, it’s not totally official in that teams have 48 hours from the league call to finalize any physicals. Thus, Houston doesn’t have the ability to trade us Levert (and their 2023 2nd) for Oladipo until after that deal gets totally, 100% finalized. Normally, this isn’t an issue, but there’s a lot of guys in that original deal (as well as both Levert and Oladipo in the 2nd) that likely require physicals for all teams. Otherwise, physicals often get waived.

My Man!
Wizop
RealGM

Post#107 » by Wizop » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:35 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Thus, Houston doesn’t have the ability to trade us Levert (and their 2023 2nd) for Oladipo until after that deal gets totally, 100% finalized.

that's what I thought. there is a three team deal that gets LeVert and a Cleveland pick to Houston. then in a separate deal that has not been finalized, Houston trades those assets to us. I think that confirms my worry that Vic has the power to F this up by saying things that anger Houston and leave them wanting to just keep LeVert.

obviously what Vic would like is a second 3 team deal that sends him to Miami, LeVert to Indy, and something from Miami to Houston. I'm going to assume with no facts behind my opinion that Indy and Houston have talked to Miami and so far nothing has come of their talks.
`
Read on Twitter
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#109 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:50 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Thus, Houston doesn’t have the ability to trade us Levert (and their 2023 2nd) for Oladipo until after that deal gets totally, 100% finalized.

that's what I thought. there is a three team deal that gets LeVert and a Cleveland pick to Houston. then in a separate deal that has not been finalized, Houston trades those assets to us. I think that confirms my worry that Vic has the power to F this up by saying things that anger Houston and leave them wanting to just keep LeVert.

obviously what Vic would like is a second 3 team deal that sends him to Miami, LeVert to Indy, and something from Miami to Houston. I'm going to assume with no facts behind my opinion that Indy and Houston have talked to Miami and so far nothing has come of their talks.
`
Read on Twitter

I wouldn’t worry too much. Even if he says he doesn’t want to go to Houston, they may be fine with that. The belief is that they simply didn’t want Levert’s contract on the books long term and preferred an expiring in Oladipo, and one that can help them if even for just one year.

Plus, he’s re-tradeable from Houston immediately. He wasn’t aggregated in salary to get to Houston, so they can move him. They just can’t aggregate his salary until around March 4 in order to acquire someone who makes more salary. It in no way has to be another 3 way deal, nor is that holding up getting Levert to Indy.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#110 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:51 pm

Meh. That’s a hypothesis that doesn’t really have a necessary basis in reality. A Houston/Indiana deal could happen today and then Oladipo could be dealt in a separate deal to Miami an hour later if they want.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#111 » by Wizop » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:14 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Even if he says he doesn’t want to go to Houston, they may be fine with that. The belief is that they simply didn’t want Levert’s contract on the books long term and preferred an expiring in Oladipo, and one that can help them if even for just one year.

makes sense. they got a ton of draft capital for Harden and probably want to start over. getting a hefty expiring contract fits that plan.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#112 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:55 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Even if he says he doesn’t want to go to Houston, they may be fine with that. The belief is that they simply didn’t want Levert’s contract on the books long term and preferred an expiring in Oladipo, and one that can help them if even for just one year.

makes sense. they got a ton of draft capital for Harden and probably want to start over. getting a hefty expiring contract fits that plan.

Yeah. Fertitta stretched himself a bit thin personally in buying the Rockers singlehandedly, and then with his Hospitality/Dining/Gambling empire getting hit hard from Covid, I think minimizing the cash outlays may be important as he’s in the midst of trying to take his company public to raise funds.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,356

Post#113 » by Boneman2 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:01 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:

Nice to know the actual process to kill the speculation
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#114 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:40 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Topofthekey
Veteran
And1: 1,003

Post#115 » by Topofthekey » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:14 pm

I hope Vic gets the max contract that he's looking for

I'm just glad that Pacers aren't the ones to have to make that tough decision

I do wonder what went wrong though, what snapped and made Vic want to leave

Perhaps some day we'll find out
Wizop
RealGM

Post#116 » by Wizop » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:07 am

WireTap reports Miami would like to trade for Beal. Victor must feel dissed.
Topofthekey
Veteran
And1: 1,003

Post#117 » by Topofthekey » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:18 am

Wizop wrote:WireTap reports Miami would like to trade for Beal. Victor must feel dissed.

I don't understand his fascination with Miami anyway

If he's trying to build a career in music, shouldn't he be heading to California

Btw, typical Heat poster overrating their young players by a stupid margin

I wouldnt trade Tyler Herro straight up for Beal let alone throwing in 2 #1 picks and D Robinson.

He wouldn't trade Herro straight up for Beal he says :rolleyes:
Wizop
RealGM

Post#118 » by Wizop » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:56 am

He has a home in Miami

Sent from my phone.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,356

Post#119 » by Boneman2 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:57 am

Victor has a chance to prove he is worth the max by filling the huge production void created when Harden left. No excuses left for him if he doesn’t get it.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#120 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:57 am

Topofthekey wrote:
Wizop wrote:WireTap reports Miami would like to trade for Beal. Victor must feel dissed.

I don't understand his fascination with Miami anyway

If he's trying to build a career in music, shouldn't he be heading to California

Btw, typical Heat poster overrating their young players by a stupid margin

I wouldnt trade Tyler Herro straight up for Beal let alone throwing in 2 #1 picks and D Robinson.

He wouldn't trade Herro straight up for Beal he says :rolleyes:

I’ll say this for that poster; Beal is only under contract for one more year. :dontknow:

But yeah, he should be willing to trade Herro. If they send Herro, I think it may only cost them 1 #1 pick (which is good, as that’s all Miami really can trade) or Achiuwa. I think Herro can be really good.

As for Miami, Vic has an offseason home there, his trainer is there, and his “film office” (he just produced and made a brief appearance in a new film) is all in Miami, I believe. Plus, Miami’s fun. :lol:

Return to Indiana Pacers