2021 Draft Thread

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Re: 2021 Draft Thread 

Post#61 » by Topofthekey » Sat May 29, 2021 2:11 am

8305 wrote:One thing I'll say for New Nate he put Sumner and Brisset on the floor. And on some level that has salvaged the franshise's player development performance. In a perfect player development world Brisset, Goga and Sumner need to be in the rotation this season.

Not sure I'll credit him with that

It feels more like circumstances forced his hand

Sumner was stashed on the bench for most part of the first half of the season, wasn't he
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#62 » by Moooose » Sat May 29, 2021 3:12 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Only NAIA competition, but this guy should absolutely be discussed as a flier at one of our late 2nds. Either put him on a 2 way, or get him set up with a contract in Australia for a year or two and retain his rights, but seems like the type of deep pull a team will make super late in the draft.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I've seen his name fly around some draft discussions but I know nothing of him. Watched some of his clips, pretty impressive. Got more upside than Brimah. Better offensive tools too.

For the second round, I don't have too many favorites aside from Charles Bassey who I think is an early 2nd rounder.
I like Sandro Mamukelashvili from Seton Hall for a late 2nd round pick. Imagine this kid learning a thing or two from Domas. :-o

[url][/url]
owlwo
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#63 » by owlwo » Mon May 31, 2021 2:14 pm

I would love to see the Pacers get two players in this draft in the first round. It would probably require trading a good player to do it but this roster needs some athletic talent. Onu maybe late first round??

Chris Duarte would also be a great pick up later in the first. I liken him to a longer more athletic Brogdon and his shooting
numbers are fantastic. He is older as he will be 24 this summer but he is ready to play in the NBA now

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/chris-duarte-1.html

owlwo
Freshman

Post#64 » by owlwo » Mon May 31, 2021 2:31 pm

Wizop wrote:With the season over IndyCornRows has began a series of draft profiles. They started with Scott Barnes who probably will be off the board at 13 and concluded he won't be a good fit anyway. I didn't expect that.

Maybe he would be great but it seems like we have been down this road with Leaf. Unless he has has some Larry Bird in
him I would prefer to look elsewhere.
What do you see in him that makes you think he should be the Pacers pick?
owlwo
Freshman

Post#65 » by owlwo » Mon May 31, 2021 2:47 pm

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2021/5/17/22437345/know-the-prospect-chris-duarte

“I don’t understand why people don’t have [Duarte] higher,” Vecenie said on his Game Theory Podcast. “He’s really f***ing good at basketball.”

“Really good. 54 percent from the field, 44 [percent] from three, 80 [percent] from the free-throw line,” Pennie detailed. “[Duarte] has really good size at 6’6”. Has a strong frame. He moves well with or without the ball. You don’t really need to run stuff for him. He can create his own shot, and when he’s away from the ball he knows to go backdoor when the lane’s open can dunk. He has this uber confidence to pull up from three. He’ll pull up in transition. He’s incredibly efficient. He had 22 points against Arizona on 10 shots.”
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#66 » by Wizop » Mon May 31, 2021 2:49 pm

owlwo wrote:
Wizop wrote:With the season over IndyCornRows has began a series of draft profiles. They started with Scott Barnes who probably will be off the board at 13 and concluded he won't be a good fit anyway. I didn't expect that.

Maybe he would be great but it seems like we have been down this road with Leaf. Unless he has has some Larry Bird in
him I would prefer to look elsewhere.
What do you see in him that makes you think he should be the Pacers pick?
Size. Defense. Passing

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#67 » by Tom White » Mon May 31, 2021 3:20 pm

owlwo wrote:https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2021/5/17/22437345/know-the-prospect-chris-duarte

“I don’t understand why people don’t have [Duarte] higher,” Vecenie said on his Game Theory Podcast. “He’s really f***ing good at basketball.”

“Really good. 54 percent from the field, 44 [percent] from three, 80 [percent] from the free-throw line,” Pennie detailed. “[Duarte] has really good size at 6’6”. Has a strong frame. He moves well with or without the ball. You don’t really need to run stuff for him. He can create his own shot, and when he’s away from the ball he knows to go backdoor when the lane’s open can dunk. He has this uber confidence to pull up from three. He’ll pull up in transition. He’s incredibly efficient. He had 22 points against Arizona on 10 shots.”

No mention of his defensive play?
owlwo
Freshman

Post#68 » by owlwo » Mon May 31, 2021 5:05 pm

From the same site....in another site they had a number that combined steals and blocks and his was about 3
I am not saying taking him at 13 but it would be not a bad idea to get another pick later in the first to get him

Chris Duarte has shown to be a good on-ball defender and is a solid team defender. He has good instincts defensively and is tough on defensive end, which are skills that Tom Thibodeau would like. Duarte knows when to get in the passing lane to force turnovers.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Post#69 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:44 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sounds like Giddey wouldn’t be available for the draft combine, but there will be opportunities to easily scout in LV. Certainly hope Indy sends someone.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#70 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:40 pm

I'm starting to believe that rebuilding teams should go BPA but contenders can draft for fit. But are we in between? Can we afford to exclude any position?

Interesting that last night's telecast did a minute on how the Suns were built. They got Booker at 13. They then committed to building around him taking Ayton over Luca for fit. Finally they added CP3.

If I had to say we had a player now we can build around, wouldn't it be Sabonis? If so, what kind of big would fit best with him? Isn't the answer Turner? However, if we were building around Turner, I'm less sure the answer would be Sabonis.

Are there top pure 4s in this draft? Barnes has played 1 not 4 although his body says 4 but he'll be gone. Franz is a 4. The KY and Duke players look like 4s but don't look like BPAs at 13.

Scoot says the 2 Euros are strictly 5s although some pundits disagree. The same could be debated with Jones. If they are 5s do we pass on them even if they are the BPA at 13? Do you let it be known that we'd listen to trade down offers fr pop m teams wanting a 5?

I think it's very lively the BPA will be a wing. If so, what does that say about Doug and Lamb?

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:09 pm

Wizop wrote:I'm starting to believe that rebuilding teams should go BPA but contenders can draft for fit. But are we in between? Can we afford to exclude any position?

Interesting that last night's telecast did a minute on how the Suns were built. They got Booker at 13. They then committed to building around him taking Ayton over Luca for fit. Finally they added CP3.

If I had to say we had a player now we can build around, wouldn't it be Sabonis? If so, what kind of big would fit best with him? Isn't the answer Turner? However, if we were building around Turner, I'm less sure the answer would be Sabonis.

Are there top pure 4s in this draft? Barnes has played 1 not 4 although his body says 4 but he'll be gone. Franz is a 4. The KY and Duke players look like 4s but don't look like BPAs at 13.

Scoot says the 2 Euros are strictly 5s although some pundits disagree. The same could be debated with Jones. If they are 5s do we pass on them even if they are the BPA at 13? Do you let it be known that we'd listen to trade down offers fr pop m teams wanting a 5?

I think it's very lively the BPA will be a wing. If so, what does that say about Doug and Lamb?

Sent from my phone.

I’ll say: it looks like Garuba can defend the 4, but he absolutely needs to develop any sort of offensive shot beyond 8 feet to be considered a 4. Alperen Sengun is absolutely a ground and pound pure 5, it appears.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#72 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:30 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I’ll say: it looks like Garuba can defend the 4, but he absolutely needs to develop any sort of offensive shot beyond 8 feet to be considered a 4. Alperen Sengun is absolutely a ground and pound pure 5, it appears.

Kai looks like he could defend the 4 and mature into an emergency 5.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:06 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:I’ll say: it looks like Garuba can defend the 4, but he absolutely needs to develop any sort of offensive shot beyond 8 feet to be considered a 4. Alperen Sengun is absolutely a ground and pound pure 5, it appears.

Sent from my phone.

He’s a skinny 5, but probably too tall to reliably defend the 4.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#74 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:15 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Sent from my phone.

He’s a skinny 5, but probably too tall to reliably defend the 4.

I read that he switched well in college, but that may not translate to the pros.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#75 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:24 pm

Articles say this time we need to get the draft right. Would right be drafting a guy with a high floor like Kispert even if he has a low ceiling or would you go low floor high ceiling like Ziaire? We don't often pick this high so do you go safe or swing for the fences?
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#76 » by Tom White » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:43 pm

Wizop wrote:Articles say this time we need to get the draft right. Would right be drafting a guy with a high floor like Kispert even if he has a low ceiling or would you go low floor high ceiling like Ziaire? We don't often pick this high so do you go safe or swing for the fences?

If you only get one at-bat, you'd better make the best of it. Swing away!

Otherwise you wind up wondering "What if?"
Wizop
RealGM

Post#77 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:49 pm

Tom White wrote:
Wizop wrote:Articles say this time we need to get the draft right. Would right be drafting a guy with a high floor like Kispert even if he has a low ceiling or would you go low floor high ceiling like Ziaire? We don't often pick this high so do you go safe or swing for the fences?

If you only get one at-bat, you'd better make the best of it. Swing away!

Otherwise you wind up wondering "What if?"

Best then to leak that you've taken a risk in case it flops. It is easy to argue that the higher you pick the more conservative you should be.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 675

Post#78 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:18 pm

I’m wondering if it will be a possibility to trade the pick plus Lamb for a veteran 4. We traded Caris for Thad in one draft.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#79 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:39 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:I’m wondering if it will be a possibility to trade the pick plus Lamb for a veteran 4. We traded Caris for Thad in one draft.
Given a choice would you trade Turner, Sabonis, or the pick? Perhaps the answer depends upon who's on the board at 13. Trading down for a player could also happen.

Sent from my phone.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 675

Post#80 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:07 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:I’m wondering if it will be a possibility to trade the pick plus Lamb for a veteran 4. We traded Caris for Thad in one draft.
Given a choice would you trade Turner, Sabonis, or the pick? Perhaps the answer depends upon who's on the board at 13. Trading down for a player could also happen.

Sent from my phone.

That’s why I don’t make the big bucks lol. I’m in the camp of trading up to get a future super star if there’s one in this draft.

Return to Indiana Pacers