2021 Free Agency & Off-season

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 1,963

Re: 2021 Free Agency & Off-season 

Post#41 » by Wizop » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:43 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Sabonis makes almost triple what Boucher does, so the filler would be from Toronto, not us.

yes, and the player with the right sized deal is Hood who I don't think we need. maybe he goes to a third team.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,660

Post#42 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:33 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Sabonis makes almost triple what Boucher does, so the filler would be from Toronto, not us.

yes, and the player with the right sized deal is Hood who I don't think we need. maybe he goes to a third team.

Well, it’s really easy to figure out if Lowry signs elsewhere. If so, Toronto will just waive Baynes and Hood for their non guarantees, and would have cap space to absorb the salary difference while keeping rights on Trent.

But if they can’t use cap, wed be stuck eating either Hood or Baynes in a deal to match salaries. I think we’d prefer the cap space and better ability to re sign TJ and Or Doug.
Topofthekey
Starter
And1: 948

Post#43 » by Topofthekey » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:39 pm

Tom White wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:And Lowry doesn't fit our timeline

I swear I'm not picking on you when I say this (cause many others have said the same thing) but -

We have a timeline?

A timeline to where or what?

This team would be much better served to focus on talent before focusing on age group. Yes, ideally, you try to get a convergence of both. That doesn't seem to be working out very well right now though. Doesn't focusing on an age group also lend itself to having more second (or even third) contracts come due at the same time?

Or maybe I'm just nuts?

I don't disagree

But at 35, it feels like Lowry might be retiring in the next 2 or 3 years, if that

He's better suited to joining a contender, rather than a team that is currently not going anywhere

Having said that, getting a solid vet like Lowry is never a terrible thing, but not if the cost is Myles Turner
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:50 pm

Tom White wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:And Lowry doesn't fit our timeline

I swear I'm not picking on you when I say this (cause many others have said the same thing) but -

We have a timeline?

A timeline to where or what?

This team would be much better served to focus on talent before focusing on age group. Yes, ideally, you try to get a convergence of both. That doesn't seem to be working out very well right now though. Doesn't focusing on an age group also lend itself to having more second (or even third) contracts come due at the same time?

Or maybe I'm just nuts?

Age isn’t as huge a number in general. But Lowry is 35 and finishing his 15th season. That’s different from acquiring a 32 or 33 year old. I’d reasonably expect Lowry to retire any season now. The odds are well above 50/50 that he would retire in any given offseason going forward. And, If I have to hand him a 2/50 or 2/60 contract and pay that out, I don’t want to be the one holding the bag when he finally loses that last step, or the injuries hit hard, which their statistically likely to.
Tom White
Pro Prospect
And1: 400

Post#45 » by Tom White » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:49 pm

Guys, my response about the timeline was really not directed at Lowry as much as it was about the idea of a timeline in general. I just think over the years people have put too much emphasis on the idea. Having a few "seasoned" veterans wouldn't hurt this team a bit.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:00 pm

Tom White wrote:Guys, my response about the timeline was really not directed at Lowry as much as it was about the idea of a timeline in general. I just think over the years people have put too much emphasis on the idea. Having a few "seasoned" veterans wouldn't hurt this team a bit.

Sure. But I think most people would agree we don’t fit a single timeline. We range from 25-29 in terms of core guys, so bets aren’t bad at all.

I think the comments were mostly in terms Lowry’s extreme age. Clearly, he would fit more of a “must win a championship now” kind of team. You can’t “plan for next year or the year after” with him, specifically.
Analyst
And1: 286

Post#47 » by 8305 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:34 am

Wizop wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:Raptor fan, what would you guys want from us to take Turner off your hands?

if we break up Turner/Sabonis, we're more likely to move Sabonis as we need GTurner's defense. Sabonis for Boucher and a pick swap? might need filler. Lamb or Aaron Holiday could be added from our side.

Turner for Boucher and Toronto’s 2021 1st makes sense to me. This assumes the Raps don’t score in the lottery andwe might have to absorb some dead salary to make this happen. Not the end of the world for me. There are some interesting guys between 6 and 15 and who knows how far up a team could move packaging a couple late lottery picks.
Topofthekey
Starter

Post#48 » by Topofthekey » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:29 pm

8305 wrote:
Wizop wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:Raptor fan, what would you guys want from us to take Turner off your hands?

if we break up Turner/Sabonis, we're more likely to move Sabonis as we need GTurner's defense. Sabonis for Boucher and a pick swap? might need filler. Lamb or Aaron Holiday could be added from our side.

Turner for Boucher and Toronto’s 2021 1st makes sense to me. This assumes the Raps don’t score in the lottery andwe might have to absorb some dead salary to make this happen. Not the end of the world for me. There are some interesting guys between 6 and 15 and who knows how far up a team could move packaging a couple late lottery picks.

I'm not very keen on Boucher personally

He looks like one of those guys who randomly has a great season or two before fading back to mediocrity

Plus he's up for an extension/new contract soon. I don't want to be the guy to overpay him based on his one or two good season and be left holding the bag when/if the bubble pops
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 1,963

Post#49 » by Wizop » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:33 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I'm not very keen on Boucher personally

wouldn't be my first choice 4 either, but Bjorkgren has coached him so I wouldn't second guess his decision to want him . . . or not.
Topofthekey
Starter

Post#50 » by Topofthekey » Sun May 2, 2021 3:52 pm

I think I like a second unit lineup that features Aaron, Sumner, and Stanley

Three young cubs running and attacking together in a pack, feels fun to watch

Imagine it. Aaron leading the charge in transition, with both Sumner and Stanley running with him

I'd like to see that lineup at least a dozen possessions or so each game

They can re-sign TJ and have him play 20 backup minutes or so each game, but Bjorkgren should still try to find stretches in games where he can put in all three of Aaron and Sumner and Stanley and give them free rein to ball how they want

Return to Indiana Pacers