2021 Free Agency & Off-season

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Re: 2021 Free Agency & Off-season 

Post#461 » by Topofthekey » Sat Dec 4, 2021 12:21 am

I like Domas and Duarte as the building blocks of the team

Pair Duarte with a good floor general who also plays solid defense (e.g Lonzo Ball). Pair Domas with two long, athletic forwards. That's the starting 5

Problem is, Bulls are playing well, so Ball isn't likely to be available. Dejounte Murray and Ricky Rubio are possible replacements?

As for the forwards, the Raptors obviously have two very good ones in Scottie Barnes and OG Anunoby, but neither are likely going to be available. Other possible targets I can think of are Jerami Grant, PJ Washington, Rui Hachimura, and others? Maybe even, shocked, Andrew Wiggins?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Post#462 » by Wizop » Sat Dec 4, 2021 2:45 am

Didn't watch after the opening but LeVert scoring and still losing is troubling. I need a Colts win to salvage the weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 719

Post#463 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Dec 7, 2021 12:36 am

Wizop wrote:Didn't watch after the opening but LeVert scoring and still losing is troubling. I need a Colts win to salvage the weekend.

Boilermakers are hot ? IU not terrible.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Post#464 » by Wizop » Tue Dec 7, 2021 12:39 am

Pacers Forever wrote:
Wizop wrote:Didn't watch after the opening but LeVert scoring and still losing is troubling. I need a Colts win to salvage the weekend.

Boilermakers are hot ? IU not terrible.
IU women doubling up Penn State. Colts rolling

Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#465 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Dec 7, 2021 3:44 pm

So, seems like Levert’s offensive focus may be an issue for this team. This roster was built around Brogdon being a bigger PG with a solid shot playing next to an undersized offensive attacker in Oladipo at the SG spot who could defend the smaller, quicker guards. Obviously, Levert isn’t going to be a defensive anything at the 2 guard for us. So, if we look for an answer, who might it be? Guys coming to mind relatively quickly, and in varying value, are Fred VanVleet, Marcus Smart, De’Anthony Melton, Dejounte Murray, and who else? Melton is more of a 3rd guard. Smart is not an offensive attacker, but would be able to guard 1-3. FVV is probably the attitude this team needs as a vet leader, and would be more of a 1 defensive focus, and he’s pretty good at it. Murray may not be available at all, and his shot still concerns me, but he’s gotten better enough to merely be worrying, rather than alarming in that regard, and he’s doing so much else better to maybe make up for it.

Would Levert/Goga/1st get us any of the guys that would solve this bit of an issue we’re having? Or, obviously, Lamb could be used as salary ballast.

Any other guys you can think of?
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#466 » by Topofthekey » Tue Dec 7, 2021 7:15 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:So, seems like Levert’s offensive focus may be an issue for this team. This roster was built around Brogdon being a bigger PG with a solid shot playing next to an undersized offensive attacker in Oladipo at the SG spot who could defend the smaller, quicker guards. Obviously, Levert isn’t going to be a defensive anything at the 2 guard for us. So, if we look for an answer, who might it be? Guys coming to mind relatively quickly, and in varying value, are Fred VanVleet, Marcus Smart, De’Anthony Melton, Dejounte Murray, and who else? Melton is more of a 3rd guard. Smart is not an offensive attacker, but would be able to guard 1-3. FVV is probably the attitude this team needs as a vet leader, and would be more of a 1 defensive focus, and he’s pretty good at it. Murray may not be available at all, and his shot still concerns me, but he’s gotten better enough to merely be worrying, rather than alarming in that regard, and he’s doing so much else better to maybe make up for it.

Would Levert/Goga/1st get us any of the guys that would solve this bit of an issue we’re having? Or, obviously, Lamb could be used as salary ballast.

The thing about FVV is, he tends to over dribble and stall the offense that way - at least that's the impression I get from reading the Raptors board. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm not totally sure. But it looks like there are quite a number of them who are proponents of making Dalano Banton or even Scottie Barnes (though they might have said Barnes more as a overreaction to their dissatisfaction with FVV, than actually thinking Barnes is PG material) the team's point guard moving on, because they apparently are better facilitators than FVV. I agree that FVV's leadership quality is something this team sorely needs though

If we move Brogdon to the 2, what happens with Duarte?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#467 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Dec 7, 2021 7:21 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:So, seems like Levert’s offensive focus may be an issue for this team. This roster was built around Brogdon being a bigger PG with a solid shot playing next to an undersized offensive attacker in Oladipo at the SG spot who could defend the smaller, quicker guards. Obviously, Levert isn’t going to be a defensive anything at the 2 guard for us. So, if we look for an answer, who might it be? Guys coming to mind relatively quickly, and in varying value, are Fred VanVleet, Marcus Smart, De’Anthony Melton, Dejounte Murray, and who else? Melton is more of a 3rd guard. Smart is not an offensive attacker, but would be able to guard 1-3. FVV is probably the attitude this team needs as a vet leader, and would be more of a 1 defensive focus, and he’s pretty good at it. Murray may not be available at all, and his shot still concerns me, but he’s gotten better enough to merely be worrying, rather than alarming in that regard, and he’s doing so much else better to maybe make up for it.

The thing about FVV is, he tends to over dribble and stall the offense that way - at least that's the impression I get from reading the Raptors board. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm not totally sure. But it looks like there are quite a number of them who are proponents of making Dalano Banton or even Scottie Barnes (though they might have said Barnes more as a overreaction to their dissatisfaction with FVV, than actually thinking Barnes is PG material) the team's point guard moving on, because they apparently are better facilitators than FVV. I agree that FVV's leadership quality is something this team sorely needs though

If we move Brogdon to the 2, what happens with Duarte?

Duarte would still have a chance at starting as a 2/3. Either way, he'd still have his way to get 30+ minutes every night.

And this was all before Shams said that one of the bigs would be moved, too. :dontknow:
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#468 » by pacers33granger » Wed Dec 8, 2021 12:42 am

Count me as probably one of the few who wouldn't have much interest in FVV. Not a fan of a backcourt of FVV/Brogdon and don't think either is a PG. Plus I wouldn't be willing to pay what Toronto would want.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#469 » by Topofthekey » Wed Dec 8, 2021 4:18 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Duarte would still have a chance at starting as a 2/3. Either way, he'd still have his way to get 30+ minutes every night.

And this was all before Shams said that one of the bigs would be moved, too. :dontknow:

Yea, I think I'm ok with sliding Brogdon and Duarte to the 2 and 3

I think LeVert (probably with some added compensation thrown in) for Rubio is the most realistic deal right now, if the Cavaliers are interested in flipping Rubio for assets

I think the key realization is to stop waiting for Warren (or LeVert) to become 100% and just go ahead and build a starting 5 without them

If Warren ever comes back 100%, he can join the bench and be a super 6th man or something

Hoping that injury prone players can stay healthy enough to become regular starters has not worked out so far

The team lacks chemistry and it shows
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#470 » by 8305 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 5:25 am

I’ve suggested deals with Turner/Sabonis value for Murray and been turned down. So no way the package you suggest gets him. This season looks to me like it is circling the drain, I would hold in to our 2022 first.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#471 » by Tom White » Wed Dec 8, 2021 1:37 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I think the key realization is to stop waiting for Warren (or LeVert) to become 100% and just go ahead and build a starting 5 without them

Hoping that injury prone players can stay healthy enough to become regular starters has not worked out so far

Truer words were never spoken.

Return to Indiana Pacers