2021 Free Agency & Off-season

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Re: 2021 Free Agency & Off-season 

Post#81 » by Topofthekey » Fri Jul 2, 2021 4:54 pm

If Herb's willing to pay the tax to chase a title... Russell Westbrook?

I wonder if Wizards are willing to trade Westbrook for neutral salary + pick
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 934

Post#82 » by Tom White » Fri Jul 2, 2021 6:53 pm

Topofthekey wrote:If Herb's willing to pay the tax to chase a title... Russell Westbrook?

Same questions as the last time.

Why would they want to trade him?
Who do we have they could possibly want?

Brogdon is a bit better shooter, but Westbrook wipes the floor with him when it comes to assists and rebounds. I think they would laugh at that. Plus, you would have to add more salary to make it match. Can't picture a deal.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Post#83 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 2, 2021 7:03 pm

Topofthekey wrote:If Herb's willing to pay the tax to chase a title... Russell Westbrook?

I was just thinking he might be willing to pay tax to keep Doug. I don't think we're moving away from the band of brothers approach to get a "star."
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,066

Post#84 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 2, 2021 7:09 pm

We don’t have the $37+m of “neutral” salary to deal for Russ. Sure Lamb is $10m, but everyone else is pretty good salary. We’d have to deal 2-3 of our starting players in order to legally match salaries.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#85 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 2, 2021 7:11 pm

I also wouldn’t assume we’d pay the luxury tax until we actually do at years end.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#86 » by Topofthekey » Fri Jul 2, 2021 7:35 pm

I do think Pacers are possibly one veteran star, like WB, away from becoming a contender

One thing behind all the 4th quarter collapses they've had was the team not having a veteran leader on court, and when the other team clamped down in the 4th quarter, players began to play frustrated and everything just started falling apart from there

I know I've seen it happen with Domas, him over dribbling and trying to force a move to the basket when the game started slipping away and no one else was really doing anything

I think a veteran with passion and energy, like WB, solves a lot of problem for the Pacers

He'll probably still be a pretty terrible fit with Domas though, so I don't think he is specifically the answer that the team needs

That, and Wizards likely aren't interested in trading him for loose change
Wizop
RealGM

Post#87 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 2, 2021 8:05 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I think a veteran with passion and energy ... solves a lot of problem for the Pacers

Pritchard mentioned that need but also mentioned Al Jefferson who provided that leadership from the bench. the player currently on the roster that could provide the vocal leadership is McConnell. Mark Monteith suggested starting him for just that reason. I don't think we'll go that far but I think we'll encourage him to take a more vocal role even when he's not in the game. we also could look for a veteran whose been on successful teams but again I don't think he has to be a star.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#88 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 3, 2021 3:58 pm

Pacers are Growing the analytics department.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 719

Post#89 » by Pacers Forever » Sun Jul 4, 2021 2:05 am

A G league player plans to play for Pacers summer league. Glad to see we’re bringing in an experienced G league player to take a look at since we found Brissett there. Checked Basketball reference and he played for Clippers 2 seasons and Atlanta 1. Stats in NBA regressed during that period. Sent back to G league I guess. 6’5 lefty combo guard.

Emiliano Carchia: Tyrone Wallace will play for the Indiana Pacers in the NBA Summer League, sources tell @Emiliano Carchia. Wallace averaged 16.6 points, 4.7 rebounds and 3.3 assists in G League with Agua Caliente Clippers this season
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#90 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 4, 2021 4:15 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 719

Post#91 » by Pacers Forever » Sun Jul 4, 2021 4:38 am

I was starting to wonder where the cut off was for tier 1 so called cream of the crop prospects. I was seeing a lot of similar talent levels in the prospect videos I’ve watched. So moving up to 5 or 6 (probably not happening) or down makes sense to get more out of the pick like the Colts do as long as they get their man.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#92 » by Moooose » Sun Jul 4, 2021 10:57 am

Pacers Forever wrote:I was starting to wonder where the cut off was for tier 1 so called cream of the crop prospects. I was seeing a lot of similar talent levels in the prospect videos I’ve watched. So moving up to 5 or 6 (probably not happening) or down makes sense to get more out of the pick like the Colts do as long as they get their man.

Tiers differ from what experts have and what regular guys have and usually doesn't matter come draft day. Tier 1 is usually the top 2 or 3 picks, the can't miss prospects. These top players and all other names below them are tiered in many ways - talent, potential, positional scarcity, youth, team needs, etc. No exact formula but it is fun doing it. They all look the same on videos. But on game times and on consecutive nights, they don't. Those who are consistently good are few.

I think as long as we don't gamble only on potential alone, and as long as we can give some relevant minutes to our draft picks for their development, then we're good. Niang and Alize, though second rounders were decent players on other teams and yet we were not able to give them minutes. Leaf didn't saw more than 9 mpg ever, though he was a decent per 36mpg.

Goga fits both positional need and talent, so he's getting the development he needs. Cassius Stanley will need some more playing time to be relevant, and I doubt he'll be able to get the exposure he needs with better players ahead of him in Sumner and Aaron.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#93 » by Wizop » Sun Jul 4, 2021 12:27 pm

Moooose wrote:Cassius Stanley will need some more playing time to be relevant, and I doubt he'll be able to get the exposure he needs with better players ahead of him in Sumner and Aaron.

Alize tore up the GLeague so I don't know why we gave up on him. Niang didn't have the athleticism we wanted. Stanley will benefit more from big minutes in Ft Wayne than odds and ends here as he has the speed and hops but is still pretty lost.

As for this draft, reporters are saying there is a big drop off after 6 and the highest pick likely to be available is GS at 7.

Sent from my phone.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by Topofthekey » Sun Jul 4, 2021 12:58 pm

Wizop wrote:
Moooose wrote:Cassius Stanley will need some more playing time to be relevant, and I doubt he'll be able to get the exposure he needs with better players ahead of him in Sumner and Aaron.

Alize tore up the GLeague so I don't know why we gave up on him. Niang didn't have the athleticism we wanted. Stanley will benefit more from big minutes in Ft Wayne than odds and ends here as he has the speed and hops but is still pretty lost.

As for this draft, reporters are saying there is a big drop off after 6 and the highest pick likely to be available is GS at 7.

Sent from my phone.

I think Green is going to end up being the best player from the draft, and I think Mobley and Suggs both have bust potential
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#95 » by Moooose » Sun Jul 4, 2021 4:18 pm

Wizop wrote:

Sent from my phone.

You may be right about his lack of athleticism not fitting the team, but Niang was never athletic even back in Iowa State. I believe we drafted him because of his IQ and Boris Diaw-like skillset. But yeah, odd man out during his time in Indy.

Speaking of Iowa State, that college is notoroius for recruiting talented heavy wings - Royce White, Abdel Nader, Georges Niang, Deonte Burton, Horton-Tucker, etc.

I honestly think this draft is too thin at the top. Kuminga and Barnes aren't even locked to go top 8.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#96 » by jayu70 » Mon Jul 5, 2021 3:22 pm

Hawks fan here - what's the plan for Aaron Holiday? He will be a RFA next offseason. What would it take to get him to the Hawks?
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#97 » by Topofthekey » Mon Jul 5, 2021 3:34 pm

jayu70 wrote:Hawks fan here - what's the plan for Aaron Holiday? He will be a RFA next offseason. What would it take to get him to the Hawks?

I think it's too early to say for sure

He had a good year under Nate McMillan and was ahead of McConnell in the rotation, but then followed that up with a relatively weak showing under then new coach Nate 2.0

Much will probably depend on how Carlisle utilises him in the upcoming season

He can possibly return to being one of the primary backups at the 1 and 2, or he can end up buried at the end of the bench fighting for 10th man minutes

If it's the latter, Pacers will probably be happy if they can flip him for a late FRP
Wizop
RealGM

Post#98 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 5, 2021 3:53 pm

jayu70 wrote:Hawks fan here - what's the plan for Aaron Holiday? He will be a RFA next offseason. What would it take to get him to the Hawks?
Very little if the draft gives us a guard. Probably a future pick. I don't see anyone on your roster that we'd want that you wouldn't want to keep.

Sent from my phone.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 934

Post#99 » by Tom White » Mon Jul 5, 2021 3:55 pm

Got any Cheetos?

Seriously, though, we wouldn't want to just give him away.

It would take at least two bags.

And not the small bags.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 5, 2021 6:44 pm

I think it all depends on what happens with TJ McConnell and the draft. If TJ sticks around, there’s a good chance we could look to move Aaron. He’s not in the 1st round value wise right now, but the timing also means it would be future picks, if any were to be involved. There’s not a great player value fit on the Atlanta roster right now. Aaron isn’t worth Huerter or Reddish, or any other young guys, while Fernando just isn’t interesting. Maybe just a couple 2nds if you take him into cap space? We have quite a few future 2nds right now, so it may even be worth just holding onto Aaron at that point?

Most likely, keep Indy in mind if you work out any trades this offseason, and maybe we’d loop in as a 3rd team?

Return to Indiana Pacers