Realistically, Who Do You Want To...

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Re: Realistically, Who Do You Want To... 

Post#41 » by 8305 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:41 pm

boomershadow wrote:
8305 wrote:Hearing that Carlisle was effusive in his praise of Myles Turner and hearing J Michael indicate that around the league Myles is viewed as the more value player compared to Domas, I'll offer the following:

Pacers Trade Sabonis to the KIngs for Bagley and pick 9. Its what Pritchard has been doing well. Acquiring guys who were drafted high and underperformed their draft position. Provide them with an improved opportunity and environment.

I'm not sure I believe that about Sabonis. Our asking price for Sabonis would almost certainly be higher than for Turner.

It is possible more teams might be interested in Turner because they already have a core, and Turner is a player they could add that wouldn't take the ball away from their main options on offense. That's certainly why Boston would have been interested in Turner. There are probably others.

Who do you see paying a premium for Sabonis?
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 719

Post#42 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:47 pm

More and more I am warming up to the idea of trading Sabonis. Really I love his offense, his passing, and rebounds and assists. However it seems like this past year he was getting out positioned going for rebounds, was making more forced passes(not good), and silly fouls, and his lack of big man defense really sticks out in some matchups. Plus he seems to be out of position on defense a lot. Therefore I feel his defensive liability out weighs his great offense. I feel someone else can pick up the scoring, Myles will play the D, and may get back to scoring more.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#43 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:48 pm

Yeah Tom you were piggybacking off me saying don’t bring in Richardson from Dallas.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 934

Post#44 » by Tom White » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:56 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:More and more I am warming up to the idea of trading Sabonis. Really I love his offense, his passing, and rebounds and assists. However it seems like this past year he was getting out positioned going for rebounds, was making more forced passes(not good), and silly fouls, and his lack of big man defense really sticks out in some matchups. Plus he seems to be out of position on defense a lot. Therefore I feel his defensive liability out weighs his great offense. I feel someone else can pick up the scoring, Myles will play the D, and may get back to scoring more.

I read somewhere, maybe on Basketball-Reference (?), the percentages for the two of them. If I recall properly, Myles had slightly higher percentages than Domas from all three ranges - 2 point range, 3 point range, and the Free Throw Line. It took awhile to figure out because, again testing my memory, you had to subtract out the three point figures from the total field goal figures to get the two point numbers.

Or it could have all been a dream.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 934

Post#45 » by Tom White » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:21 pm

Found the stats I was talking about. They are on Basketball-Reference, but didn't have to back out any numbers.

I'll give Myles' numbers, with Domas' numbers in ( ) after.

For 2021 Season:
Two Pointers .606 (.582)
Three Pointers .335 (.321)
Free Throws .782 (.732)

For their Careers:
Two Pointers .531 (.554)
Three Pointers .352 (.321)
Free Throws .770 (.725)

So, Domas did out shoot Turner from 2 point range career wise, but that is it.

Now, as we all know, rebounds are a different story, but more so this last year than for their careers.
For 2021 6.6 (12.0)
Career 6.5 (8.7)

Again, Domas' numbers are in parenthesis.

If the rebounding load could be shared better by the players on the floor, it would not be such a big deal. I would also submit that part of the rebounding difference is due to where on the court the coach had each player stationed. I won't go into blocked shots or steals and such, but I think we know how those stack up.

Hope that doesn't bore everyone too much.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,066

Post#46 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:49 pm

8305 wrote:Hearing that Carlisle was effusive in his praise of Myles Turner and hearing J Michael indicate that around the league Myles is viewed as the more value player compared to Domas, I'll offer the following:

Pacers Trade Sabonis to the KIngs for Bagley and pick 9. Its what Pritchard has been doing well. Acquiring guys who were drafted high and underperformed their draft position. Provide them with an improved opportunity and environment.

If we are hoping for players that play defense, Bagley is maybe the furthest from it. With his size and lack of range, he’s also probably a pure 5, so I think he’d end up as wasted space behind Sabonis and Goga. The 9 is fine, but I feel like it’s a little low for Myles. Especially if we’re eating wasted salary like Bagley. Someone might take him for free, though, we might have to pay someone as part of the deal to take him on.
Assistant Coach

Post#47 » by 8305 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:52 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:

If we are hoping for players that play defense, Bagley is maybe the furthest from it. With his size and lack of range, he’s also probably a pure 5, so I think he’d end up as wasted space behind Sabonis and Goga. The 9 is fine, but I feel like it’s a little low for Myles. Especially if we’re eating wasted salary like Bagley. Someone might take him for free, though, we might have to pay someone as part of the deal to take him on.

Probably didn’t say it very well but the suggestion is Sabonis for Bagley and pick 9. Maybe that makes it worse? Heard J Michael suggest that Myles has more value than Sabonis. If that’s accurate the 9 is closer for Sabonis? And Bagley is more of a flier. Warren and Bogdonavich couldn’t defend when we got them and Vic was a bad contract when we got him. Bagley is still young. Probably younger than Brissett.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Post#48 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:49 am

8305 wrote:Pacers Trade Sabonis to the KIngs for Bagley and pick 9.

Who do you see at 9 who will be gone at 13?

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#49 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:26 am

Wizop wrote:

Sent from my phone.

At 9 I would think Giddey, Moody, Duarte, and maybe Kispert, Wagner, Sengun, and Kai Jones if bigs are going fast.
Assistant Coach

Post#50 » by 8305 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:10 am

Wizop wrote:

Sent from my phone.

Moses Moody or Keon Johnson?
You also now have two bites of the apple. In theory you double the odds of hitting a long term impact guy.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#51 » by Topofthekey » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:47 am

Wizop wrote:

Sent from my phone.

I don't understand the push to trade Domas (or Myles) for one of these late lottery picks

Domas is a two time All Star, and is still improving

Do we expect to draft someone better at #9?

Edit:

Look at players drafted around that range from #8-#10 over the past 10 drafts

Toppin
Avdija
Jalen Smith

Hayes
Hachimura
Reddish

Sexton
Knox
Bridges

Ntikilina
DS Jr
Zach Collins

Marquess Chriss
Poetl
Thon Maker

Stanley Johnson
Kaminsky
Winslow

Stauskas
Vonleh
Payton

KCP
Burke
McCollum

Ross
Drummond
Rivers

Brandon Knight
Kemba Walker
Jimmer Fredette

My questions to those who advocate trading Domas for pick #9:

Which player among the list above would you trade Domas for?

Do you expect Pacers to draft a better player than all the players listed above? Bear in mind in order to do so, you are essentially saying the Pacers can do better than the rest of the league over the last ten years

Some of those players aren't even in the league anymore

Trading Domas for a late lottery pick like #9 is a terrible move. If the market value for Domas is pick #9, then we're better off just keeping him
Assistant Coach

Post#52 » by 8305 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:26 am

Fwiw. I I,like Moses Moody and Keon Johnson
Reading Moody’s scouting report and it similar to thet of Devin Booker and Clay Thompson. Both players who could have been taken with pick 9 in their respective drafts.
Keon Johnson reminds me of Oladipo. Same kind of athlete.
Pacercoltboiler
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#53 » by Pacercoltboiler » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:43 pm

8305 wrote:Fwiw. I I,like Moses Moody and Keon Johnson
Reading Moody’s scouting report and it similar to thet of Devin Booker and Clay Thompson. Both players who could have been taken with pick 9 in their respective drafts.
Keon Johnson reminds me of Oladipo. Same kind of athlete.

Do you pay Domas to come off the bench, would he want to do it? On defense he is a liability, and if you can get a two way player for him, it makes sense.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#54 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:58 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Sent from my phone.

At 9 I would think Giddey, Moody, Duarte, and maybe Kispert, Wagner, Sengun, and Kai Jones if bigs are going fast.
You've named 7 players. If all are available at 9, 3 of them will still be there at 13. Unless you see 3 of that group you don't want, trading up does nothing. The draft looks flat to me after 6 unless you scratch all of the guards. Now I'm willing to only look at players 6'8" or taller and that would shorten the list.

Had Golden State stayed at 6, I would've talked seriously with them. I think 7 could be one pick too low though.

Sent from my phone.
Assistant Coach

Post#55 » by 8305 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:25 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Sent from my phone.

You've named 7 players. If all are available at 9, 3 of them will still be there at 13. Unless you see 3 of that group you don't want, trading up does nothing. The draft looks flat to me after 6 unless you scratch all of the guards. Now I'm willing to only look at players 6'8" or taller and that would shorten the list.

Had Golden State stayed at 6, I would've talked seriously with them. I think 7 could be one pick too low though.

Sent from my phone.

If the trade I’ve suggested were made, you would have
Center, Turner, Goga, Bagley
PF, Warren, Bagley. Brissett

Seems like drafting a wing prospect would make sense?
Ruaidri
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#56 » by Ruaidri » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:55 pm

Trade Turner, Lamb plus whatever bench player is needed to get Ben Simmons.
Re-sign TMJ.
Get a wing as draft.

Start next season: Simmons, Brogdon, LeVert, Warren, Sabonis.
Off the Bench Goga, TMJ and the two players that are the best.

Sabonis/Goga in the middle and the other guys can play whatever position.
I don't care for blocks, rebounds are far more important.

I want defense, effort every night. I believe this team can fight for the top seeds with Carlise as coach.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#57 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:15 pm

8305 wrote:If the trade I’ve suggested were made, you would have

I'm not a fan of Warren at 4 instead of 3 even though he certainly is a small ball option there. If you like Bagley, you can probably get him in a smaller trade.

Sent from my phone.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,307

Post#58 » by boomershadow » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:28 pm

8305 wrote:
boomershadow wrote:

I'm not sure I believe that about Sabonis. Our asking price for Sabonis would almost certainly be higher than for Turner.

It is possible more teams might be interested in Turner because they already have a core, and Turner is a player they could add that wouldn't take the ball away from their main options on offense. That's certainly why Boston would have been interested in Turner. There are probably others.

Who do you see paying a premium for Sabonis?

I think a Sabonis trade is unlikely, because he is a centerpiece of the team and I don't see a player coming back that could fill that gap . I'm just saying don't refuse to listen to offers in case some GM gets real excited for a fringe all star.
Assistant Coach

Post#59 » by 8305 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:37 pm

Wizop wrote:
8305 wrote:If the trade I’ve suggested were made, you would have

I'm not a fan of Warren at 4 instead of 3 even though he certainly is a small ball option there. If you like Bagley, you can probably get him in a smaller trade.

Sent from my phone.

Warrren probably played the best basketball of his life in the bubble. I think he was full time 4 when there.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#60 » by Pacers Forever » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:26 am

I’m not for giving Sabonis away cheap. I would rather trade him for an established nba player than for the #9 pick as I think he’s more valuable than that.

Return to Indiana Pacers