Image

Head Coach Candidates

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 11,787
And1: 2,045
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#21 » by Wizop » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:06 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:Wiretap has Penny Hardaway interested in an NBA job. he's head coach of Memphis - college not pro - now. I'd interview him.


I’m all for interviewing everyone, but he has not coached particularly well at Memphis. His success so far has come solely from his college recruiting of players he brought up through his AAU program. But, he could always be a guy better at NBA than college.


he's getting 2.325mm a year at Memphis. I don't suppose we'd even consider paying a lead assistant that much and he may have a buyout issue.

I'll admit a racial preference for someone to relate to the players the way Mike Brown did as an assistant here. Every black candidate catches my eye.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 32,558
And1: 5,975
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#22 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:03 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:Wiretap has Penny Hardaway interested in an NBA job. he's head coach of Memphis - college not pro - now. I'd interview him.


I’m all for interviewing everyone, but he has not coached particularly well at Memphis. His success so far has come solely from his college recruiting of players he brought up through his AAU program. But, he could always be a guy better at NBA than college.


he's getting 2.325mm a year at Memphis. I don't suppose we'd even consider paying a lead assistant that much and he may have a buyout issue.

I'll admit a racial preference for someone to relate to the players the way Mike Brown did as an assistant here. Every black candidate catches my eye.


I don’t think we even paid Bjorkgren $2.325m per year. Tubby before Penny had a full buyout in his contract, though Penny’s hasn’t been reported. If it’s the same, his buyout would be about $7.5m probably, though if he’s implicated in their NCAA investigation, both sides might agree to just waive it and move on.

I support diversity in hiring here, too. I really wanted Becky Hammon last year, but loved the idea of Chauncey Billups, amongst others.
User avatar
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
Posts: 4,353
And1: 4,735
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
Location: Naptown
   

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#23 » by boomershadow » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:19 pm

I definitely don't think being black is a prerequisite for the job by any means, but I do think the Bjorkgren time here demonstrates the perils involved with having a middle aged white guy trh to tell young black athletes what to do and what's expected of them, especially of they haven't played in the league themselves.

Doubly so if they make 10x what you do.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
Posts: 13,930
And1: 5,983
Joined: Sep 26, 2006
 

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#24 » by pacers33granger » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:17 pm

boomershadow wrote:I definitely don't think being black is a prerequisite for the job by any means, but I do think the Bjorkgren time here demonstrates the perils involved with having a middle aged white guy trh to tell young black athletes what to do and what's expected of them, especially of they haven't played in the league themselves.

Doubly so if they make 10x what you do.


Certainly doesn't help if you ban durags, even if it is for a maybe valid reason.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 11,787
And1: 2,045
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#25 » by Wizop » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:21 pm

I understand saying the coach must be black is as wrong as saying the coach can't be black. Still diversity matters.

Sent from my phone.
Pacers Forever
Sophomore
Posts: 171
And1: 27
Joined: Nov 21, 2020
     

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#26 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:25 pm

I took from the press conference that Kevin took a chance to hire an X and O guy and Nate would still be here if he hadn’t lost the team. He kept mentioning that it’s becoming an offensive league but would also note the need for defense which this staff didn’t coach well enough. I’m thinking the next hire has to have successfully been a head coach in the NBA and relate to the players.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 11,787
And1: 2,045
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#27 » by Wizop » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:55 pm

Bud wasn't on my list but Bucks tying series with Nets should keep him in Milwaukee.

Sent from my phone.
jk31
Senior
Posts: 533
And1: 302
Joined: Feb 15, 2014
 

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#28 » by jk31 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:19 pm

Wizop wrote:someone on the General Board suggested Sam Mitchell. that's a name I hadn't heard before but he checks all of my boxes - older, black, former player. former Pacer. head coaching experience.


why is skin color on your criteria list?!
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 11,787
And1: 2,045
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#29 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:39 pm

jk31 wrote:
Wizop wrote:someone on the General Board suggested Sam Mitchell. that's a name I hadn't heard before but he checks all of my boxes - older, black, former player. former Pacer. head coaching experience.


why is skin color on your criteria list?!


I understand that I'm violating my own notions of equality and what I really don't want is an all white staff because the last coach had a real problem relating to the players. I think we need a diverse staff which doesn't necessarily mean that the head coach must be a black former player but someone on the staff probably needs to be one.
jk31
Senior
Posts: 533
And1: 302
Joined: Feb 15, 2014
 

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#30 » by jk31 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:06 pm

Wizop wrote:
jk31 wrote:
Wizop wrote:someone on the General Board suggested Sam Mitchell. that's a name I hadn't heard before but he checks all of my boxes - older, black, former player. former Pacer. head coaching experience.


why is skin color on your criteria list?!


I understand that I'm violating my own notions of equality and what I really don't want is an all white staff because the last coach had a real problem relating to the players. I think we need a diverse staff which doesn't necessarily mean that the head coach must be a black former player but someone on the staff probably needs to be one.


ah I see. Yeah I guess this makes a lot of sense. I think someone like Popeye Jones 2 years ago would be a really great addition to the coaching staff. What is David West doing these days?
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 32,558
And1: 5,975
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#31 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:34 pm

jk31 wrote:
Wizop wrote:
jk31 wrote:
why is skin color on your criteria list?!


I understand that I'm violating my own notions of equality and what I really don't want is an all white staff because the last coach had a real problem relating to the players. I think we need a diverse staff which doesn't necessarily mean that the head coach must be a black former player but someone on the staff probably needs to be one.


ah I see. Yeah I guess this makes a lot of sense. I think someone like Popeye Jones 2 years ago would be a really great addition to the coaching staff. What is David West doing these days?



Pritchard said he’s tried to convince David West to take an assistant job, or any job really, with the Pacers every year since he retired, and probably will every year going forward, but David’s life situation isn’t ready to move to Indy and start coaching yet.
Topofthekey
Veteran
Posts: 2,682
And1: 1,003
Joined: Nov 18, 2017

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#32 » by Topofthekey » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:01 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
I’m all for interviewing everyone, but he has not coached particularly well at Memphis. His success so far has come solely from his college recruiting of players he brought up through his AAU program. But, he could always be a guy better at NBA than college.


he's getting 2.325mm a year at Memphis. I don't suppose we'd even consider paying a lead assistant that much and he may have a buyout issue.

I'll admit a racial preference for someone to relate to the players the way Mike Brown did as an assistant here. Every black candidate catches my eye.


I don’t think we even paid Bjorkgren $2.325m per year. Tubby before Penny had a full buyout in his contract, though Penny’s hasn’t been reported. If it’s the same, his buyout would be about $7.5m probably, though if he’s implicated in their NCAA investigation, both sides might agree to just waive it and move on.

I support diversity in hiring here, too. I really wanted Becky Hammon last year, but loved the idea of Chauncey Billups, amongst others.

I'm not sure how I feel about Chauncey Billups

On one hand, the Pistons still has a special place on my to-hate list

On the other hand, poaching "their guy" and having him help us win feels like adequate atonement

I don't know, I'm conflicted
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 32,558
And1: 5,975
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#33 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:30 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:
he's getting 2.325mm a year at Memphis. I don't suppose we'd even consider paying a lead assistant that much and he may have a buyout issue.

I'll admit a racial preference for someone to relate to the players the way Mike Brown did as an assistant here. Every black candidate catches my eye.


I don’t think we even paid Bjorkgren $2.325m per year. Tubby before Penny had a full buyout in his contract, though Penny’s hasn’t been reported. If it’s the same, his buyout would be about $7.5m probably, though if he’s implicated in their NCAA investigation, both sides might agree to just waive it and move on.

I support diversity in hiring here, too. I really wanted Becky Hammon last year, but loved the idea of Chauncey Billups, amongst others.

I'm not sure how I feel about Chauncey Billups

On one hand, the Pistons still has a special place on my to-hate list

On the other hand, poaching "their guy" and having him help us win feels like adequate atonement

I don't know, I'm conflicted


Honestly, I doubt we’re going to be willing to pay “top of the market rookie coach” salary to Chauncey Billups while still paying the last year of Bjorkgren. Now, we should absolutely consider paying top coaching salaries going forward with our luxury tax limitations. Paying an extra $1-3m per year could pay off in spades. But, Chauncey is going to want $4+m, much like Nash got. Stotts will come cheap, as Portland is paying him for 2 more years. Clifford would be more affordable with Orlando paying him another year. I hate this is a consideration, but I assume it is. I’d like to be shocked, and I think Pritchard himself would like to keep pushing the boundaries, but I doubt Simon would let him.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 11,787
And1: 2,045
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#34 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:33 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about Chauncey Billups

On one hand, the Pistons still has a special place on my to-hate list

On the other hand, poaching "their guy" and having him help us win feels like adequate atonement

I don't know, I'm conflicted


I want the head coach to have more experience than he has. as for hate, I still remember Chauncey playing for Colorado and single handedly taking IU out of the NCAAs.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 11,787
And1: 2,045
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#35 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:23 pm

SVG fired in NO.

Read on Twitter
Tom White
Pro Prospect
Posts: 842
And1: 430
Joined: Aug 27, 2001
Location: Indiana

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#36 » by Tom White » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:11 pm

I had thought Budenholzer would be an interesting candidate......until I started paying more attention to how his team plays.

They have one of the best point guards in Jrue, but don't allow him to run the team on the floor. If I were Jrue, I'd be more than a little disappointed in how I'm being used.

I can't figure out if Bud or Giannis is dictating that GA handle the ball 95% of the time, but it is a really bad idea regardless. For a guy who has all the physical ability in the world, Giannis is one of the worst decision makers I've seen. Why does Bud allow him to keep hoisting up 3-pointers that have no chance of finding their mark, and to also not be guarding Durant? It is also confusing why neither GA nor Lopez spend very much time around the basket. Verses the Nets you would think one or the other would feast on offense in the paint.

Is it that Giannis is actually running that team instead of Bud? I know a coach defers to his stars a certain amount, but this is not good at all. I know their won/loss says they are great, but watching this tells me a different story.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 11,787
And1: 2,045
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#37 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:19 pm

Scott Brooks out in Washington
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,992
And1: 1,477
Joined: Oct 08, 2003
 

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#38 » by winter_mute_13 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:06 am

Not a HC candidate but Donnie Nelson is out in Dallas... If they're planning to clean house, wonder if Carlisle would be let go as well.

Speaking of which, if the Pacers want a new FO voice, I'd think Nelson looks like a pretty good candidate. Known for international scouting, credited for Dirk, Nash, and Luka, and of course for building the 2011 team. He also has links to Lithuania, previously having served as assistant coach on the national team.
User avatar
Moooose
Starter
Posts: 2,321
And1: 189
Joined: Apr 13, 2010
Location: From Way Downtown
 

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#39 » by Moooose » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:46 am

winter_mute_13 wrote:Not a HC candidate but Donnie Nelson is out in Dallas... If they're planning to clean house, wonder if Carlisle would be let go as well.

Speaking of which, if the Pacers want a new FO voice, I'd think Nelson looks like a pretty good candidate. Known for international scouting, credited for Dirk, Nash, and Luka, and of course for building the 2011 team. He also has links to Lithuania, previously having served as assistant coach on the national team.


In all honestly, I prefer him over Pritchard.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 32,558
And1: 5,975
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#40 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:52 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Return to Indiana Pacers