Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#41 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:19 pm

Moooose wrote:
winter_mute_13 wrote:Not a HC candidate but Donnie Nelson is out in Dallas... If they're planning to clean house, wonder if Carlisle would be let go as well.

Speaking of which, if the Pacers want a new FO voice, I'd think Nelson looks like a pretty good candidate. Known for international scouting, credited for Dirk, Nash, and Luka, and of course for building the 2011 team. He also has links to Lithuania, previously having served as assistant coach on the national team.

In all honestly, I prefer him over Pritchard.

Maybe. But, we’ve gotta look at it through the lens of the task the ownership has set forth from them. Pritchard in Portland was a wheeler/dealer that was allowed to spend anything. Here in Indy, he’s asked to be penny wise and make the playoffs yearly, even if it’s pound foolish. He’s not been allowed to “wait” on talent, like OG to heal (or even Levert or Brogdon in their draft classes), but pushed back and got permission to acquire these types of talent later, as there’s only so many affordably signed long-term talent players available.

I’m not always a fan of Pritchard and his moves, but my biggest issues with him are when he clearly makes the type of moves that Simon has asked him to make. I’d like to know what kind of governor his son would be in the future when he inherits the team.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#42 » by Tom White » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:13 pm

Carlisle has announced he is leaving the Mavs. Wonder if he will seek another job or simply retire. He had two years remaining on his contract, but who knows if that would preclude him from taking another NBA job or not?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#43 » by Wizop » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:28 pm

Tom White wrote:Carlisle has announced he is leaving the Mavs. Wonder if he will seek another job or simply retire. He had two years remaining on his contract, but who knows if that would preclude him from taking another NBA job or not?

the standard contracts offset what you earn coaching or on TV from what the old team has to pay you.

Read on Twitter
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:45 pm

Wizop wrote:
Tom White wrote:Carlisle has announced he is leaving the Mavs. Wonder if he will seek another job or simply retire. He had two years remaining on his contract, but who knows if that would preclude him from taking another NBA job or not?

the standard contracts offset what you earn coaching or on TV from what the old team has to pay you.

Read on Twitter

It’s generally not exactly dollar for dollar, though. For players, it’s definitely not.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#45 » by Tom White » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:07 pm

Wizop wrote:the standard contracts offset what you earn coaching or on TV from what the old team has to pay you.

But if he quit (which it appears he did) the Mavs should not owe him anything. Of course there could have been a negotiated buyout.

Anyway, it seems as though something is going on in Dallas. They are having a lot of change for what has been a stable franchise.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#46 » by boomershadow » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:43 pm

I certainly wasn't very plugged in during that time frame, but I always thought it was more about Bird wanting to bring in a real hard ass, old-school type of coach.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:52 pm

boomershadow wrote:I certainly wasn't very plugged in during that time frame, but I always thought it was more about Bird wanting to bring in a real hard ass, old-school type of coach.

Carlisle? It was a mutual separation of knowing we were going to go through a bit of a rebuild/reload and Carlisle wasn’t suited for it. Other reports, including recently from guys like Monteith, were that Carlisle and his “type A” personality had really bristled a bunch of people in the organization.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#48 » by Wizop » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:07 pm

Bird believed in changing coaches after 4 years. I forget whether this applied to Rick or just Vogel.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:01 am

Wizop wrote:Bird believed in changing coaches after 4 years. I forget whether this applied to Rick or just Vogel.

Sent from my phone.

Vogel coached here 5+ years. He was the only guy, other than Slick, to coach more than 4 years here.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 716

Post#50 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:23 am

Things are definitely getting interesting the closer we get to the end of the season. My take is that Carlisle wanted nothing to do with the restructuring in Dallas. One article made it appear he’s ready for another coaching position and I think he is very confident with his championship and great run in Dallas he’ll have a job with all the positions currently open. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him back as he has the X and O, maturity, and tons of experience. Pretty sure he can put together a coaching staff.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#51 » by Tom White » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:05 am

Pacers Forever wrote:......I think he is very confident with his championship and great run in Dallas.....

But, other than the championship year, did he really have a great run in Dallas? Wasn't that the only year, or maybe one of two years, they actually won a playoff series? I seem to remember them not having a lot of success in the playoffs.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:27 am

Tom White wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:......I think he is very confident with his championship and great run in Dallas.....

But, other than the championship year, did he really have a great run in Dallas? Wasn't that the only year, or maybe one of two years, they actually won a playoff series? I seem to remember them not having a lot of success in the playoffs.

He won a series his first year in Dallas, and the championship in his 3rd. Didn’t advance out the first round his last 10 years there.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 716

Post#53 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:35 am

He’s an upgrade over Nate part 1 and 2 :D . I’m all for getting the best coach available that can get the Pacers back in the top 4-5 of the eastern conference repeatedly.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#54 » by boomershadow » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:37 am

It's surprising that some of his teams even made the playoffs with those rosters. You'll get a lot of first round losses doing that, though.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#55 » by pacers33granger » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:48 pm

I know it's a lot of speculation, but if Carlisle is even considering the Pacers, that's great. It goes against the notion that the franchise scapegoated Nate 1 unfairly and didn't give Nate 2 a real chance (this is less prevalent, but there's probably some sour grapes from his colleagues) if the head of the coaches association is potentially interested in a return.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#56 » by Tom White » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:31 pm

boomershadow wrote:It's surprising that some of his teams even made the playoffs with those rosters. You'll get a lot of first round losses doing that, though.

Yeah, I took a look at some of those rosters. Hard to tell whether they were running an NBA team or a retirement home.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:43 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#58 » by pacers33granger » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:59 pm

Clifford is a consistent playoff coach? He's had 4 years in (with one year a 33 win season) and 4 years out with a less than. 500 overall win percentage. And most of the winning seasons were barely winning.

The spin on him is ridiculous and I do not get it.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app
Wizop
RealGM

Post#59 » by Wizop » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:27 pm

I read that Becky is getting a hard look from Portland. an announcer the other night mentioned that 4 of the 5 coaches left in the playoffs were former players. that must now be 3 of 4. of the names in the tweet, I'd go Brian Shaw. I'm prioritizing player relations figuring that we'll go for experienced assistants to do the Xs and Os.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#60 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:34 am

Listened to a podcast with Al Jefferson. He things Carlisle is the best choice for a young team. Also, read a Carlisle piece on theAthletic where he said post game is dead. If hired, he could want to trade Sabonis.

Sent from my phone.

Return to Indiana Pacers