Image

TJ McConnell Free Agency

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 32,557
And1: 5,975
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

TJ McConnell Free Agency 

Post#1 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:56 pm

Just saw this from Cleveland’s Chris Fedor regarding TJ being a possible target of the Cavaliers.
https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2021/06/who-will-cleveland-cavaliers-target-in-free-agency-this-offseason-hey-chris.html

Any potential free agency list should start with Indiana’s T.J. McConnell and Los Angeles pest Alex Caruso. Both are Cavs targets. Both fit really well. Some prefer Caruso. He’s younger, bigger, stronger and can guard multiple spots. Others like McConnell more. Even though he doesn’t shoot many 3s, he’s more polished, capable of filling in as starter, puts pressure on the rim and was the league’s total steals leader.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 11,787
And1: 2,045
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: TJ McConnell Free Agency 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:32 pm

Mark Monteith thinks we should start him because of his vocal leadership. I'm not sure about that, but the only reason I see not to pay him market value is if the draft gives us a point guard. Even then plan A would be to trade Aaron to create minutes for both TJ and the newcomer.

Sent from my phone.
Tom White
Pro Prospect
Posts: 842
And1: 430
Joined: Aug 27, 2001
Location: Indiana

Re: TJ McConnell Free Agency 

Post#3 » by Tom White » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:48 pm

Wizop wrote:Mark Monteith thinks we should start him because of his vocal leadership. I'm not sure about that, but the only reason I see not to pay him market value is if the draft gives us a point guard. Even then plan A would be to trade Aaron to create minutes for both TJ and the newcomer.


I would be more than ready to move both Brogdon and A. Holiday and turn the reins over to TJM and a rookie PG (maybe a Giddey?). They could even let Sumner get some run there if needed.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 11,787
And1: 2,045
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: TJ McConnell Free Agency 

Post#4 » by Wizop » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:01 pm

Tom White wrote:
Wizop wrote:I would be more than ready to move both Brogdon and A. Holiday and turn the reins over to TJM and a rookie PG (maybe a Giddey?). They could even let Sumner get some run there if needed.


I'm fine with Brogdon but LeVert can also play some point.

Sent from my phone.
Pacers Forever
Sophomore
Posts: 171
And1: 27
Joined: Nov 21, 2020
     

Re: TJ McConnell Free Agency 

Post#5 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:33 pm

I’m good with TJ starting with Sumner as a backup if we trade Brogdon in a package deal to acquire a starting 4 then draft guard to groom.
McConnell
LeVert
Warren
Sabonis
Turner
Pacers Forever
Sophomore
Posts: 171
And1: 27
Joined: Nov 21, 2020
     

Re: TJ McConnell Free Agency 

Post#6 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:36 pm

Obviously in that scenario someone will have to be on the second team and maybe that would be Warren with Goga, Sumner, McDermott, Brissett etc.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 11,787
And1: 2,045
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: TJ McConnell Free Agency 

Post#7 » by Wizop » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:29 am

Pacers Forever wrote:I’m good with TJ starting with Sumner as a backup if we trade Brogdon in a package deal to acquire a starting 4 then draft guard to groom.
McConnell
LeVert
Warren
Sabonis
Turner
If you trade Turner or Sabonis, you could play Warren at 4, TJ at 1, and LeVert and Brogdon as wings.

Sent from my phone.
Pacers Forever
Sophomore
Posts: 171
And1: 27
Joined: Nov 21, 2020
     

Re: TJ McConnell Free Agency 

Post#8 » by Pacers Forever » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:42 am

Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:I’m good with TJ starting with Sumner as a backup if we trade Brogdon in a package deal to acquire a starting 4 then draft guard to groom.
McConnell
LeVert
Warren
Sabonis
Turner
If you trade Turner or Sabonis, you could play Warren at 4, TJ at 1, and LeVert and Brogdon as wings.
Sent from my phone.


Brogdon is a very good player. I’m just not crazy about his defense and just his emotions. He might try to stay Mr Coolon purpose, but he just doesn’t look excited at times to be on this team. I’d rather trade him than Turner or Sabonis. Maybe his hustle isn’t as apparent as McConnell or Sumner IDK. Just don’t think he’s going to be our team leader and as someone said before he’s all about off the court interests.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 11,787
And1: 2,045
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: TJ McConnell Free Agency 

Post#9 » by Wizop » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:45 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:Brogdon is a very good player. I’m just not crazy about his defense and just his emotions. . . . Just don’t think he’s going to be our team leader and as someone said before he’s all about off the court interests.


I'd separate play and leadership. He is quiet and thoughtful and not the forceful motivator Pritchard wants but I don't trade him to get one. And I think his charitable work is a good thing.

Sent from my phone.
Pacers Forever
Sophomore
Posts: 171
And1: 27
Joined: Nov 21, 2020
     

Re: TJ McConnell Free Agency 

Post#10 » by Pacers Forever » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:25 am

I’m all for NBA players being charitable if they choose to help out worthy causes. I’m just not a Brogdon fan. I also don’t dislike all of his game. I just would like a better fit and would welcome a trade to hopefully strengthen the team.
User avatar
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
Posts: 4,353
And1: 4,735
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
Location: Naptown
   

Re: TJ McConnell Free Agency 

Post#11 » by boomershadow » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:28 am

I like TJ a lot. I just would like to see Sumner, A Holiday if he isnt traded for peanuts, or possibly a draft pick get minutes at backup PG.
BooomBaby
Junior
Posts: 325
And1: 184
Joined: Oct 20, 2017
         

Re: TJ McConnell Free Agency 

Post#12 » by BooomBaby » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:27 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:I’m just not a Brogdon fan.


I've been done with him.

Package him, Turner and whoever else and get some real talent that actually tries hard every night.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 11,787
And1: 2,045
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: TJ McConnell Free Agency 

Post#13 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:31 pm

BooomBaby wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:I’m just not a Brogdon fan.


I've been done with him.

Package him, Turner and whoever else and get some real talent that actually tries hard every night.


Brogdon plays under control and isn't a loud leader, but I wouldn't equate that to not trying nor not caring.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 32,557
And1: 5,975
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: TJ McConnell Free Agency 

Post#14 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:39 pm

Wizop wrote:
BooomBaby wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:I’m just not a Brogdon fan.


I've been done with him.

Package him, Turner and whoever else and get some real talent that actually tries hard every night.


Brogdon plays under control and isn't a loud leader, but I wouldn't equate that to not trying nor not caring.


Agreed. He may not be the out loud kind of player like a Lance Stephenson, but that surely doesn’t mean he doesn’t try hard every night. Justin Holiday is quiet and pretty composed, and he hasn’t missed a game for 3 years, while imparting a similar “aura” to Brogdon.
Topofthekey
Veteran
Posts: 2,681
And1: 1,003
Joined: Nov 18, 2017

Re: TJ McConnell Free Agency 

Post#15 » by Topofthekey » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:12 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:
BooomBaby wrote:
I've been done with him.

Package him, Turner and whoever else and get some real talent that actually tries hard every night.


Brogdon plays under control and isn't a loud leader, but I wouldn't equate that to not trying nor not caring.


Agreed. He may not be the out loud kind of player like a Lance Stephenson, but that surely doesn’t mean he doesn’t try hard every night. Justin Holiday is quiet and pretty composed, and he hasn’t missed a game for 3 years, while imparting a similar “aura” to Brogdon.

I like Brogdon. I think he's a really good player

I just like his fit with the current Pacer team quite a bit less

The team needs leadership/fortitude/will power on court, somebody who can hold the line when the opponent throws their best punches and the team is on the verge of collapsing

As one of the team's best player, and one of the older players on the team, Brogdon should ideally provide some of that, but that doesn't seem to be the case
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 11,787
And1: 2,045
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: TJ McConnell Free Agency 

Post#16 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:42 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I like Brogdon. ... The team needs leadership/fortitude/will power on court,


they players call him The President. There is a lot of respect there. that said, Monteith suggests starting McConnell for his contagious energy. I don't think a leader has to yell but Pritchard is on record saying we need a player to take ownership of the team. from the outside looking in, that could be Turner. maybe we need to be careful what we wish for.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 32,557
And1: 5,975
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: TJ McConnell Free Agency 

Post#17 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:00 pm

Wizop wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:I like Brogdon. ... The team needs leadership/fortitude/will power on court,


they players call him The President. There is a lot of respect there. that said, Monteith suggests starting McConnell for his contagious energy. I don't think a leader has to yell but Pritchard is on record saying we need a player to take ownership of the team. from the outside looking in, that could be Turner. maybe we need to be careful what we wish for.


Pritchard also said this could come from the guy filling the 15th roster spot. Could be a vet we sign to sit all year and just be ready in case of emergency.

Return to Indiana Pacers