Moderators: pacers33granger, Jake0890, Grang33r, pacerfan, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,557

Re: TJ McConnell Free Agency 

Post#21 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:33 pm

8305 wrote:
Wizop wrote:Hollinger on theAthletic writes that his formula has TJ worth 12mm.

Sent from my phone.

I enjoyed watching TJ this last year like everyone else. Paying him 12 mil/year and plugging him in as the starting pg?

Realistic expectations for this team seem like drafting a solid long term guy and adjusting the roster so the pieces fit better. Get that done and I see no reason we can’t hope for some success in the Playoffs.

In a tough playoff series I see TJ getting abused if he’s asked to play more than sub minutes. Teams will dare him to shoot when we have the ball and attack him when they have it.

If we can bring him back at less than 10m/yr and a roll of a backup energy player fine. Expectations beyond that would be a mistake.

Hollinger’s weird in that article as he states this isn’t what the players should actually deserve, but just what his formula would pay them.

But I don’t think you can reasonably plug TJ into the starting lineup, as it would likely require dealing out one of the current starters (and not acquiring a starting caliber guy in return). Otherwise, I think you can kind of blow up a relationship with a new coach coming in and starting TJ (and his 15-25 minute range of effectiveness in any game) and benching Brogdon, Levert, Warren, Turner, or Sabonis to do so.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 2,219

Post#22 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:37 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:But I don’t think you can reasonably plug TJ into the starting lineup, as it would likely require dealing out one of the current starters (and not acquiring a starting caliber guy in return). Otherwise, I think you can kind of blow up a relationship with a new coach coming in and starting TJ (and his 15-25 minute range of effectiveness in any game) and benching Brogdon, Levert, Warren, Turner, or Sabonis to do so.

Monteith has suggested starting TJ for his leadership. twitter has a rumor saying we're trading with GS for Wiggins and two firsts which I find hard to believe but which could open up a starting spot.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,557

Post#23 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:39 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:But I don’t think you can reasonably plug TJ into the starting lineup, as it would likely require dealing out one of the current starters (and not acquiring a starting caliber guy in return). Otherwise, I think you can kind of blow up a relationship with a new coach coming in and starting TJ (and his 15-25 minute range of effectiveness in any game) and benching Brogdon, Levert, Warren, Turner, or Sabonis to do so.

Monteith has suggested starting TJ for his leadership.

Yeah. I don’t love it. It neutralizes what TJ brings overall to the roster and lends itself to overplaying him. Otherwise, sounds like the real argument is to trade a starter.

twitter has a rumor saying we're trading with GS for Wiggins and two firsts which I find hard to believe but which could open up a starting spot.

Not really a rumor. Merely Pacers twitter running with an idea. I haven’t seen anything actually mention the Pacers involved with that report of GS possibly dealing 7/14 for win now vets. Just conjecture, mostly.
Pacers Forever
Junior
And1: 62

Post#24 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:49 am

Wiggins ok Oubre heck no !

Return to Indiana Pacers