Image

Draft prospects scheduled

Moderators: pacers33granger, Jake0890, Grang33r, pacerfan, boomershadow

Pacers Forever
Junior
Posts: 390
And1: 62
Joined: Nov 21, 2020
     

Draft prospects scheduled 

Post#1 » by Pacers Forever » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:57 pm

Per Tony East: Pacers announce their first draft workout to be conducted Wednesday. LOVE Thor and Mann, both in my top 30.

Sorry not on Twitter so someone else can post link/details.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 33,684
And1: 6,573
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: Draft prospects scheduled 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:36 am

Pacers Forever wrote:Per Tony East: Pacers announce their first draft workout to be conducted Wednesday. LOVE Thor and Mann, both in my top 30.

Sorry not on Twitter so someone else can post link/details.


Read on Twitter
?s=21
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 12,275
And1: 2,221
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Draft prospects scheduled 

Post#3 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:05 am

Most of these names are 2nd round hopes. Thor is interesting but unlikely to be BPA at 13. Is trading down for 2 firsts a possibility? Ballard would. Do I remember Kev wheeling and dealing during the draft back in Portland?

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers Forever
Junior
Posts: 390
And1: 62
Joined: Nov 21, 2020
     

Re: Draft prospects scheduled 

Post#4 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:04 am

I researched the 3 possible first round draft prospects in this first group coming in. Trey Mann 6-4 guard highlights were interesting and he’s good at slashing and floaters plus quick defensively. Would seem close to a duplicate of McConnell, Sumner, or Aaron H. Primo is more interesting to me than Mann as he’s a 6-5 guard and his highlights show him going after rebounds and can defensively guard 3 positions. He also looks like he has NBA type hesitation moves on his drives. Both him and Mann like the 3 point shot. I’m a little higher on Primo. JT Thor is 6’10 and a ridiculous long wingspan. The dude is super athletic and loves to dunk in his video highlights. I’m thinking he’s not the type of big who wants to camp out by the 3 point line. He looks aggressive enough to not be a project and would possibly fill a rebounding need. I’m all in for JT Thor. Now at what pick for Thor is debatable but I see him there at 13. Primo not sure if he makes it to 2nd round.
Pacers Forever
Junior
Posts: 390
And1: 62
Joined: Nov 21, 2020
     

Re: Draft prospects scheduled 

Post#5 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:13 am

My plan about our 2 second round picks would be to package both of them plus a player to get a late first or early second round pick. Of course we’d have to find a team who would covet a player we have currently and want to stash or sell the picks. Probably unrealistic but would be awesome to get rid of Lamb in this scenario. Of course I don’t want to give away a front line starter unless a deal makes sense that we can win the deal. Otherwise I don’t see much value in those 2 late picks helping us any time soon.
User avatar
Moooose
Starter
Posts: 2,362
And1: 203
Joined: Apr 13, 2010
Location: From Way Downtown
 

Re: Draft prospects scheduled 

Post#6 » by Moooose » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:01 am

Haven't really watched / observed Omoruyi and Zegarowski. If I ever did, to me, they did not stood out as I cannot remember them.

Of this group, Mann and Thor are possible late first-rounders. But both would be long reaches at 13th.

Given the lack of big men in this draft and his skillset, Thor might even be a top 20 pick.

Mann is a very capable scorer, I always see CJ McCollum in him. He is taller than CJ at 6'-5" but he plays small. On the downside, not always a "willing" defender.

Steward. At first look, I thought I read DJ Stewart. I'd prefer Stewart any time of the day than him. Steward's very average, an undersized SG who really didn't do much. Much like a poor man's Aaron Holiday.

Primo. Was getting a lot of hype lately though I don't think he's even close to Tre Mann. They are in the same mold, but he's some tier lower, IMO. Would need to see more of this kid.
owlwo
Freshman
Posts: 64
And1: 12
Joined: Jul 15, 2009

Re: Draft prospects scheduled 

Post#7 » by owlwo » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:04 pm

Wizop wrote:Most of these names are 2nd round hopes. Thor is interesting but unlikely to be BPA at 13. Is trading down for 2 firsts a possibility? Ballard would. Do I remember Kev wheeling and dealing during the draft back in Portland?

Sent from my phone.


I had not thought about this but I would hope that if they go after Thor it would be lower than 13
A trade down has to be something they are prepared for.
As noted in this thread Thor would be a long reach at 13
Tom White
Pro Prospect
Posts: 991
And1: 480
Joined: Aug 27, 2001
Location: Indiana

Re: Draft prospects scheduled 

Post#8 » by Tom White » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:53 pm

Wizop wrote:Most of these names are 2nd round hopes. Thor is interesting but unlikely to be BPA at 13. Is trading down for 2 firsts a possibility? Ballard would. Do I remember Kev wheeling and dealing during the draft back in Portland?

Sent from my phone.


What teams have 2 first round picks that would be possible partners in that scenario?

The only ones I see (behind us) with two picks are OKC (16 & 18) and Houston (23 & 24). I'm not sure either of those teams would do the deal. Maybe if we included a player? Could be a way to move further from the tax?

And I agree with your assessment of the guys scheduled to do work outs for the team. Not one of them should be considered as a first rounder.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 12,275
And1: 2,221
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Draft prospects scheduled 

Post#9 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:27 pm

Tom White wrote:What teams have 2 first round picks that would be possible partners in that scenario?

The only ones I see (behind us) with two picks are OKC (16 & 18) and Houston (23 & 24).


Knicks - 19, 21, and 32,
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Pro Prospect
Posts: 991
And1: 480
Joined: Aug 27, 2001
Location: Indiana

Re: Draft prospects scheduled 

Post#10 » by Tom White » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:41 pm

Wizop wrote:
Tom White wrote:What teams have 2 first round picks that would be possible partners in that scenario?

The only ones I see (behind us) with two picks are OKC (16 & 18) and Houston (23 & 24).


Knicks - 19, 21, and 32,


You're right. Not sure how I missed that.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 12,275
And1: 2,221
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Draft prospects scheduled 

Post#11 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:39 pm

Read on Twitter
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers Forever
Junior
Posts: 390
And1: 62
Joined: Nov 21, 2020
     

Re: Draft prospects scheduled 

Post#12 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Jul 1, 2021 1:07 am

A video is up of Trey Mann talking about his college time and workout today. Reflected thoughtfully, quietly confident, and well spoken about his abilities and workout.
Pacers Forever
Junior
Posts: 390
And1: 62
Joined: Nov 21, 2020
     

Re: Draft prospects scheduled 

Post#13 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Jul 1, 2021 1:16 am

Scott Agness has a story up for subscribers about this year’s first workout and process. He also tweeted from the press conference quoting some of it.
Pacers Forever
Junior
Posts: 390
And1: 62
Joined: Nov 21, 2020
     

Re: Draft prospects scheduled 

Post#14 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Jul 1, 2021 2:14 am

Moooose wrote:Haven't really watched / observed Omoruyi and Zegarowski. If I ever did, to me, they did not stood out as I cannot remember them.

Of this group, Mann and Thor are possible late first-rounders. But both would be long reaches at 13th.

Given the lack of big men in this draft and his skillset, Thor might even be a top 20 pick.

Mann is a very capable scorer, I always see CJ McCollum in him. He is taller than CJ at 6'-5" but he plays small. On the downside, not always a "willing" defender.

Steward. At first look, I thought I read DJ Stewart. I'd prefer Stewart any time of the day than him. Steward's very average, an undersized SG who really didn't do much. Much like a poor man's Aaron Holiday.

Primo. Was getting a lot of hype lately though I don't think he's even close to Tre Mann. They are in the same mold, but he's some tier lower, IMO. Would need to see more of this kid.


One thing I didn’t do when watching JT Thor draft video is watch the right one. I now understand you need to watch the video that shows both strengths and weaknesses. His shot needs work and he’s not a good passer or decision maker offensively. Defense is definitely his strength. So I now consider him a late first round project who if he can improve his offense will be fine. I’m going to go back and look for a strength and weakness video for Mann and Primo to see if I like them as much. I’m hoping that whoever we get at #13 is not a project. While it’s not a bad thing example Goga, but it’s better if we can get a player capable of getting a few rotation minutes nightly with the second unit.
Pacers Forever
Junior
Posts: 390
And1: 62
Joined: Nov 21, 2020
     

Re: Draft prospects scheduled 

Post#15 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Jul 1, 2021 2:28 am

Watched a draft video of Jaden Springer 6-4 PG who worked out today. Strengths were that he’s a good defender, quick, has raw talent. Drawback is he’s very young and gonna need more time to tap into the talent. He was mocked at #18 but I think he’s going later. Feels like a good project pick for a better established team.
Pacers Forever
Junior
Posts: 390
And1: 62
Joined: Nov 21, 2020
     

Re: Draft prospects scheduled 

Post#16 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Jul 1, 2021 2:46 am

Re-watched Josh Primo draft video and he is defensively talented and can score. However, video says he’s not as athletic and he now looks like a early 2nd round pick. I realize all players have things to work on in their game. I’m hoping I find a video of one of our workout players that doesn’t make them look like they need G league experience.
Pacers Forever
Junior
Posts: 390
And1: 62
Joined: Nov 21, 2020
     

Re: Draft prospects scheduled 

Post#17 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Jul 1, 2021 3:04 am

Re-watched Tre Mann and this guy has a smooth 3 point shot with range. Offense is his game with a great step back move and knocking down shots off screens. Defense definitely a liability which Pacers don’t need a player who can’t physically stop his man. Late first round.
Pacers Forever
Junior
Posts: 390
And1: 62
Joined: Nov 21, 2020
     

Re: Draft prospects scheduled 

Post#18 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Jul 1, 2021 3:38 am

Video on Brandon Boston Jr. 6-7 guard at Kentucky shows he can score and has good wingspan for defense. His weakness is strength which hurts him both ways. 2nd round early to middle. Not polished enough for us. Of course I’m not looking at picks close to #13 because the Pacers aren’t yet. I’m pretty sure there’s a couple quality prospects left when we draft.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 12,275
And1: 2,221
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Draft prospects scheduled 

Post#19 » by Wizop » Thu Jul 1, 2021 1:13 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:Watched a draft video of Jaden Springer 6-4 PG who worked out today. Strengths were that he’s a good defender, quick, has raw talent. Drawback is he’s very young and gonna need more time to tap into the talent. He was mocked at #18 but I think he’s going later. Feels like a good project pick for a better established team.


I think any guard we draft will have plenty of time to get better. He'd have to compete with Brogdon, LeVert, TJ, Sumner, Lamb, AHoliday, JHoliday, McDermott, Stanley, and Martin. I think this is a position where a high ceiling is more important to us than a high floor. if the pick is a guard, we can afford to swing for the fences even if that increases the chances of striking out. now if we draft a 4, I feel differently.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
User avatar
Moooose
Starter
Posts: 2,362
And1: 203
Joined: Apr 13, 2010
Location: From Way Downtown
 

Re: Draft prospects scheduled 

Post#20 » by Moooose » Thu Jul 1, 2021 3:48 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:
One thing I didn’t do when watching JT Thor draft video is watch the right one. I now understand you need to watch the video that shows both strengths and weaknesses. His shot needs work and he’s not a good passer or decision maker offensively. Defense is definitely his strength. So I now consider him a late first round project who if he can improve his offense will be fine. I’m going to go back and look for a strength and weakness video for Mann and Primo to see if I like them as much. I’m hoping that whoever we get at #13 is not a project. While it’s not a bad thing example Goga, but it’s better if we can get a player capable of getting a few rotation minutes nightly with the second unit.


Yeah. Highlights are what they are - highlights. Not too many videos on the lowlights, so complete scouting videos help. It's hard to gauge prospects considering there's a lot of immeasurable factors not listed on the stat sheets or shown in the videos. Most of the time, luck dictates the path of a prospect better than studied projections. Everybody's guesses are on equal footing, IMO.

But if you really want to see how these prospects play, watch NCAA games. You'll see in there how they are as teammates, how they answer to interviews, off-ball movement, decision-making, etc. Good ones usually stick out and it's all a matter of name recollection when their names pop up in the draft boards.

Return to Indiana Pacers


cron