Draft prospects scheduled

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Re: Draft prospects scheduled 

Post#101 » by Boneman2 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:43 am

Garuba (6'8", 7'3" wingspan, 230 lbs, 19yo) is growing on me. Some say he is a pf/c others say he can transition to wing eventually. Whatever the case may be, Usman is supposedly a defensive mastermind at the age of 19 (according to the article below).

https://www.thestrick.land/strick/2021-nba-draft-profile-usman-garuba
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,185

Post#102 » by Nuntius » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:46 am

Boneman2 wrote:Garuba (6'8", 7'3" wingspan, 230 lbs, 19yo) is growing on me. Some say he is a pf/c others say he can transition to wing eventually. Whatever the case may be, Usman is supposedly a defensive mastermind at the age of 19 (according to the article below).

https://www.thestrick.land/strick/2021-nba-draft-profile-usman-garuba

I can't see how Garuba transitions to the wing. PF, sure, but he isn't skilled enough on offense to be a wing, imo.

Defensive mastermind, though, isn't inaccurate. It may be a bit of a hyperbole but he is indeed a very, very good defender.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#103 » by Moooose » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:29 am

^ Hard to picture Garuba developing into a wing. I think a small ball center is more fitting.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#104 » by Nuntius » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:59 am

Moooose wrote:^ Hard to picture Garuba developing into a wing. I think a small ball center is more fitting.

Yep. He can defend wings, though. He'd have no issues defending people on the perimeter, imo. He is a multi-positional defender.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#105 » by Nuntius » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:00 pm

The more I check other PG prospects, the lower I get on Davion Mitchell. I also like McBride better than him.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#106 » by Wizop » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:39 pm

Nuntius wrote:The more I check other PG prospects, the lower I get on Davion Mitchell. I also like McBride better than him.
There are better scorers but Mitchell could play immediately when the situation requires someone who can defend speed. We've had a problem with that although Sumner and Stanley have speed.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#107 » by Wizop » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:41 pm

Moooose wrote:^ Hard to picture Garuba developing into a wing. I think a small ball center is more fitting.
If we were to trade down to get two picks and Garuba was there, he'd be a strong option to replace Sampson.

Sent from my phone.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#108 » by Nuntius » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:45 pm

Wizop wrote:
Nuntius wrote:The more I check other PG prospects, the lower I get on Davion Mitchell. I also like McBride better than him.
There are better scorers but Mitchell could play immediately when the situation requires someone who can defend speed. We've had a problem with that although Sumner and Stanley have speed.

Sent from my phone.

It's not just about scoring, though. McBride, Springer and Dosunmu seem to be equally capable defenders (if not more capable) and they are all bigger and/or longer than him.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,026

Post#109 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:56 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#110 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:26 pm

Moooose wrote:
Nuntius wrote:And since I talked about Sandro Mamukelashvili, allow me to post some videos of him:

Still, though, he is projected as a late second rounder and if he's there at #54, I'd 100% take him.

Glad that somebody else has noticed Mamukelashvili. I sure do hope the Pacers can get him in the 2nd round.

I honestly think he is being undervalued in the mock drafts too much. As I've posted before, this kid can learn from Domas. Their skillsets aren't too far apart.

John Hollinger has Sandro at 70 on his big board, but lumped into the “2 way guys” category.

70. Sandro Mamukelashvili, PF, Seton Hall, Senior
Another interesting guy because of an unusual skill set, Mamukelashvili is 6-foot-11 but likes to handle the ball and create for others. Chance are, he isn’t stout enough physically to defend the five, and he hasn’t quite shown enough floor-spacing ability to make a respectable case as a four. If one of those things changes, however, he could be a player.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 675

Post#111 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:52 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

All later in the draft except maybe Sharife Cooper ? The less amount of prospects they bring in the #10-15 range the more you wonder if they are trading back, trading for an established player, or not really worried about working out certain players.

Wagner
Kispert
Garuba
Sengun
Both Johnsons
Mitchell
Duarte
Giddey

A few names yet to work out in Indy who might fall to #13 or Pacers might be interested in.

Building for the future, going all in now, best player available, a certain position, defense, or offense we don’t know what they want. That’s the secretive part of the draft with having a new coach we don’t know yet what Carlisle truly thinks of his roster, or what direction Carlisle thinks or wants the roster to head towards. I get the feeling Pritchard having Carlisle as coach the draft and upcoming picks will be more of a collaboration process.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#112 » by Nuntius » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:30 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sharife Cooper is projected to go late 1st to early 2nd. He is an interesting PG prospect that can pass the ball really well and score a bit. He is undersized, though.

The other ones are on the bubble of being drafted.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Wizop
RealGM

Post#113 » by Wizop » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:40 pm

Nuntius wrote:The other ones are on the bubble of being drafted.

said another way, they are candidates for our pick 60. were it football, that'd be Mr Irrelevant.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#114 » by Nuntius » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:52 pm

Wizop wrote:
Nuntius wrote:The other ones are on the bubble of being drafted.

said another way, they are candidates for our pick 60. were it football, that'd be Mr Irrelevant.

Yeah, that would be a good way to put it.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#115 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:54 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

All later in the draft except maybe Sharife Cooper ? The less amount of prospects they bring in the #10-15 range the more you wonder if they are trading back, trading for an established player, or not really worried about working out certain players.

Wagner
Kispert
Garuba
Sengun
Both Johnsons
Mitchell
Duarte
Giddey

A few names yet to work out in Indy who might fall to #13 or Pacers might be interested in.

Building for the future, going all in now, best player available, a certain position, defense, or offense we don’t know what they want. That’s the secretive part of the draft with having a new coach we don’t know yet what Carlisle truly thinks of his roster, or what direction Carlisle thinks or wants the roster to head towards. I get the feeling Pritchard having Carlisle as coach the draft and upcoming picks will be more of a collaboration process.

I wouldn’t read too much into it yet, or even at draft day. Some of those guys aren’t able to workout due to overseas obligations. Others are making the rounds and their agents will want them to work out only against certain people, or without others. We’re also still 2 weeks out from the draft, and the Pacers (and all other teams) have also been known to have a guy in for a secret workout, or will have gathered enough information at the combine or private workouts to feel comfortable.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#116 » by Nuntius » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:07 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Wagner
Kispert
Garuba
Sengun
Both Johnsons
Mitchell
Duarte
Giddey

I wouldn’t read too much into it yet, or even at draft day. Some of those guys aren’t able to workout due to overseas obligations.

That's true. Giddey is currently playing for Australia, Sengun played for Turkey recently and Wagner/Garuba could be playing for Germany/Spain in the upcoming Olympics (no idea if they actually are, though, just that they could).
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Wizop
RealGM

Post#117 » by Wizop » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:46 pm

Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#118 » by Tom White » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:17 pm

Wizop wrote:Doesn't fit our play immediately statements but I like Kai

https://www.theringer.com/2021/7/15/22576835/meet-the-most-interesting-sleeper-in-the-2021-nba-draft

I've become a fan of his as well. I think it might be fun to see him and Turner paired on the floor.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#119 » by Wizop » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:42 pm

Chad Ford has us taking Kispert at 13 with Mitchell a possibility if he's not taken at 7. He has Kessler Edwards at 54 and I like that. At 60 he has Livers which is okay but I'd prefer a stash.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#120 » by Tom White » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:01 pm

Wizop wrote:Chad Ford has us taking Kispert at 13 with Mitchell a possibility

I really hope not. Not sure exactly what it is, but I just don't like that.

Kessler is interesting. It appears he can certainly shoot the ball, and rebounded well. But again, you can't get much insight about his defense from the stats available. At 54? I'm sure we could do much worse than him.

Return to Indiana Pacers