Image

"Pacers discussing Myles Turner trade with multiple teams"

Moderators: pacers33granger, Jake0890, Grang33r, pacerfan, boomershadow

Topofthekey
Veteran
Posts: 2,948
And1: 1,106
Joined: Nov 18, 2017

"Pacers discussing Myles Turner trade with multiple teams" 

Post#1 » by Topofthekey » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:15 am

From this wiretap article:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/263427/Pacers-Discussing-Myles-Turner-Trade-With-Multiple-Teams


Am I the only one who's slightly irritated by how the title of the article was worded?

Am I the only one who thinks that "Pacers discussing Myles Turner trade with multiple teams" and "Multiple teams discussing Myles Turner trade with Pacers" carry a subtle but very important distinction?

Am I the only one who suspects that the article was purposely worded one way instead of the other?

Or am I just overanalyzing things?
granger05
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,311
And1: 293
Joined: Dec 15, 2005

Re: "Pacers discussing Myles Turner trade with multiple teams" 

Post#2 » by granger05 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:37 am

There seems to be enough smoke around Myles Turner trade rumors that there's something there. Of course, this was true last off-season as well with the Celtics. Pacers have tended to be tight lipped on trades, but not all teams are. It does seem that several teams are interested which at least increases the odds that if he is moved it will be for something reasonable. However, is not always the case they the fans agree with the front office on what is important in a deal.
User avatar
OnFire
Junior
Posts: 298
And1: 22
Joined: Jul 12, 2006

Re: "Pacers discussing Myles Turner trade with multiple teams" 

Post#3 » by OnFire » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:40 am

I hope it's more rumor than anything. I'm with the group that thinks Myles holds more value to us than Domas, just that the latter has better numbers.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 33,684
And1: 6,573
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: "Pacers discussing Myles Turner trade with multiple teams" 

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:47 pm

Topofthekey wrote:From this wiretap article:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/263427/Pacers-Discussing-Myles-Turner-Trade-With-Multiple-Teams


Am I the only one who's slightly irritated by how the title of the article was worded?

Am I the only one who thinks that "Pacers discussing Myles Turner trade with multiple teams" and "Multiple teams discussing Myles Turner trade with Pacers" carry a subtle but very important distinction?

Am I the only one who suspects that the article was purposely worded one way instead of the other?

Or am I just overanalyzing things?


Probably just over analyzing things. The article mentions that the Pacers have been super active in trade talks, and they specifically mention that Myles Turner’s name has come up. Nothing crazy. Some of that is just due diligence heading into the draft. Trades don’t just happen quickly with a phone call, they are set up after days, weeks, months, and even years of value talks and discussions of what teams want and need. I don’t think the subtle distinction matters much here.

granger05 wrote:There seems to be enough smoke around Myles Turner trade rumors that there's something there. Of course, this was true last off-season as well with the Celtics. Pacers have tended to be tight lipped on trades, but not all teams are. It does seem that several teams are interested which at least increases the odds that if he is moved it will be for something reasonable. However, is not always the case they the fans agree with the front office on what is important in a deal.


To me, a big part of it is just that if the Pacers want to make a move this summer so as to not just run it back for essentially a 3rd season in a row, there’s not much we can move. Levert and Warren won’t return much, if anything, right now due to injury histories. Sabonis is a very unique fit that he wouldn’t fit in most places. So, it comes down to Brogdon and Turner, and I’m sure we’re kind of having value discussions around all the guys to get a lay of the land. Again, if we were having serious discussions, the players would be notified, and we’d be hearing and seeing a ton of published hard rumors because then the players, their agents, and their family and friends would likely be in the loop as well, and that’s a news pipe that would leak, for sure.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 12,275
And1: 2,221
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: "Pacers discussing Myles Turner trade with multiple teams" 

Post#5 » by Wizop » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:00 pm

I don't think the way a wiretap headline is worded matters, but I hope we're listening and not shopping him or any other starter.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Pro Prospect
Posts: 991
And1: 480
Joined: Aug 27, 2001
Location: Indiana

Re: "Pacers discussing Myles Turner trade with multiple teams" 

Post#6 » by Tom White » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:57 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Sabonis is a very unique fit that he wouldn’t fit in most places.


I'm starting to believe one of those places he doesn't fit well is Indiana. It isn't so much anything he has done, but is more about what he doesn't do.

This is why, if the Pacers do want to move on from the two bigs lineup, I think it might be better to look at moving Sabonis than moving Turner. It may be easier for the Pacer to build a team that includes Turner than building one around Sabonis. Notice that I didn't say building a team "around" Turner. Just building a team that includes him rather than Sabonis.

Regardless of which one they might keep, you still want shooting and ball handling skills from the other players. But if they keep Sabonis, then they have to give more consideration to the defensive capabilities and athletic capabilities of the other players on the floor with him.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 12,275
And1: 2,221
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: "Pacers discussing Myles Turner trade with multiple teams" 

Post#7 » by Wizop » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:23 pm

I'm also in the move Sabonis and draft a 4 to compete with Brissett camp.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 33,684
And1: 6,573
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: "Pacers discussing Myles Turner trade with multiple teams" 

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:16 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Sabonis is a very unique fit that he wouldn’t fit in most places.


I'm starting to believe one of those places he doesn't fit well is Indiana. It isn't so much anything he has done, but is more about what he doesn't do.

This is why, if the Pacers do want to move on from the two bigs lineup, I think it might be better to look at moving Sabonis than moving Turner. It may be easier for the Pacer to build a team that includes Turner than building one around Sabonis. Notice that I didn't say building a team "around" Turner. Just building a team that includes him rather than Sabonis.

Regardless of which one they might keep, you still want shooting and ball handling skills from the other players. But if they keep Sabonis, then they have to give more consideration to the defensive capabilities and athletic capabilities of the other players on the floor with him.


I wouldn’t necessarily go that far yet. I think Bjorkgren shed light where Sabonis and Turner could work effectively offensively together. However, Sabonis doing his best to play Nate’s system that required him to guard his man within reach every inch of the half court made it a terrible fit defensively. I think a smart and experienced coach like Carlisle could make it work much better. Maybe it won’t ever be great, but at least we’d know. I just think that if we run a team with either of Brogdon and/or Levert as the lead guard, it seems like Sabonis and his ball handling as a 3rd outlet would be absolutely important to filling out that kind of roster.

But I’m really torn on which guys to deal, if we should deal any. I can see good arguments for, and against, trading each and any of our guys on the roster. I think any move could be acceptable this offseason, so long as we have a vision and end up down that path after all is said and done.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 33,684
And1: 6,573
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: "Pacers discussing Myles Turner trade with multiple teams" 

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:14 pm

From Shams Charania:

New Orleans and Charlotte have expressed interest in Pacers center Myles Turner, sources said.
Tom White
Pro Prospect
Posts: 991
And1: 480
Joined: Aug 27, 2001
Location: Indiana

Re: "Pacers discussing Myles Turner trade with multiple teams" 

Post#10 » by Tom White » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:26 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:From Shams Charania:

New Orleans and Charlotte have expressed interest in Pacers center Myles Turner, sources said.


I have a tough time figuring out what either team could do in a good trade. Read that as a good trade for the Pacers. Salary matching WITH talent matching would be difficult.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 33,684
And1: 6,573
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: "Pacers discussing Myles Turner trade with multiple teams" 

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:57 pm

Also, to keep records clear, Ian Begley of SNY.com has reported that the Pelicans have talked Myles Turner, and Kevin O’Connor of the Ringer has reported that Golden State has talked Myles Turner.

At the worst, it’s nice that he’s wanted.
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 33,684
And1: 6,573
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: "Pacers discussing Myles Turner trade with multiple teams" 

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:02 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:From Shams Charania:

New Orleans and Charlotte have expressed interest in Pacers center Myles Turner, sources said.


I have a tough time figuring out what either team could do in a good trade. Read that as a good trade for the Pacers. Salary matching WITH talent matching would be difficult.


Salary matching is pretty easy. If we went with something centered around prospects, we could put Eric Bledsoe or Steven Adams in the deal to match exactly. Bledsoe’s almost an expiring contract (he has like $3m guaranteed on his last year that a team is sure to waive him for. Kira Lewis is an interesting PG prospect. Hart or Ball could be S&T targets that fit Indy. They’ve got a large amount of picks, though none appear to be GREAT value right now. But yeah. Finding that bridge could be tough with both talent and salary.
Pacercoltboiler
Freshman
Posts: 99
And1: 46
Joined: Apr 26, 2018
         

Re: "Pacers discussing Myles Turner trade with multiple teams" 

Post#13 » by Pacercoltboiler » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:13 pm

I don't have much hope that the Pacers will do much to improve, especially after the last few years. I do think about how nice it would be to trade a big, players, and a future #1 for a great pick. If we took Moody with a high pick, and got a guy like Trey Murphy with #13, we could surround Sabonis and LeVert with two forwards that have 7 foot wingspans and are fantastic shooters. That would be pretty scary. Try to find a point who can play defense in free agency, and bring guys like McConnel, Brissett, and Goga off the bench.
Pacers Forever
Junior
Posts: 390
And1: 62
Joined: Nov 21, 2020
     

Re: "Pacers discussing Myles Turner trade with multiple teams" 

Post#14 » by Pacers Forever » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:20 pm

I’m flexible on trading any of Brogdon, Sabonis, Turner, or J Holiday. I agree that Warren and LeVert won’t bring value currently. Of course I want Lamb and A Holiday included in deals to help our salary cap and try to find better position fits for the team.

I’m in favor of moving Brogdon first and I’d love to work a deal with Sacramento to get Fox as our true PG. Brogdon is a good scorer who can’t guard quick guards. I just don’t like Brogdon as a PG. He’s better suited as a SG which I like LeVert to fill. I’m sure there’s other quick PG’s but none come to mind currently.

Sabonis I felt struggled making bad decisions when put into being the main scoring option. I think he’s a really good complimentary player which I would keep if they can surround him with shooters and drivers. To deal him we have to get more scoring and rebounding to compensate his lost output.

Turner is a good shot blocker, getting better rebounding, and can be an efficient scorer just not enough volume. I’m ok with moving him as long as he’s replaced with defensively talented help for Sabonis. To me he’s the easiest piece to move as long as we get value.

Warren if bubble healthy is the closest thing we have to a go to man which is really what everyone knows the Pacers lack. I’m hoping he can carry the scoring load.

I’d like TJ McConnell back but wouldn’t overpay.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 12,275
And1: 2,221
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: "Pacers discussing Myles Turner trade with multiple teams" 

Post#15 » by Wizop » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:41 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:I’m sure there’s other quick PG’s but none come to mind currently.


Davion Mitchell. Sharife Cooper.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers Forever
Junior
Posts: 390
And1: 62
Joined: Nov 21, 2020
     

Re: 

Post#16 » by Pacers Forever » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:38 am

Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:I’m sure there’s other quick PG’s but none come to mind currently.


Davion Mitchell. Sharife Cooper.

Sent from my phone.


I meant established in the league like Fox other than him that’s obtainable with a trade of Brogdon and pieces. I really don’t want Conley due to age and injuries.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 12,275
And1: 2,221
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: Re: 

Post#17 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:10 am

Pacers Forever wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:I’m sure there’s other quick PG’s but none come to mind currently.


Davion Mitchell. Sharife Cooper.

Sent from my phone.


I meant established in the league like Fox other than him that’s obtainable with a trade of Brogdon and pieces. I really don’t want Conley due to age and injuries.
Understood. But don't be surprised if the draft offers us a speedy point guard. I agree with you that it's a need.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Topofthekey
Veteran
Posts: 2,948
And1: 1,106
Joined: Nov 18, 2017

Re: "Pacers discussing Myles Turner trade with multiple teams" 

Post#18 » by Topofthekey » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:41 am

The way the title was worded makes it sound like Pacers are actively shopping Myles Turner to multiple teams

If indeed Pacers are actively shopping Myles, I'm irritated that they're actively trying to trade my favourite Pacer

If Pacers aren't actually actively shopping Myles, then I'm irritated by the way the writer worded the title
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 33,684
And1: 6,573
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: "Pacers discussing Myles Turner trade with multiple teams" 

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:39 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
User avatar
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 33,684
And1: 6,573
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
     

Re: "Pacers discussing Myles Turner trade with multiple teams" 

Post#20 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:45 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Have to assume this would take New Orleans out of the Myles Turner hunt. Though, it could possibly open up Memphis to wanting a center, if they don't think that JJJ could hold up at the 5 long-term (or is a 4 long-term).

Though, Jonas is expiring, so could still be a want for New Orleans?

Return to Indiana Pacers