Post#1 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 2, 2021 10:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Re: Pacers sign F Torrey Craig 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Mon Aug 2, 2021 10:45 pm

Doug to Spurs. Craig takes his roster spot.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 2, 2021 10:48 pm

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/craigto01.html

Craig's a good defender on the wing that can swing some 2/3/4, defensively, and recently provided great minutes for the Suns late in the season.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#4 » by Tom White » Mon Aug 2, 2021 10:55 pm

He is a good shooter, though not quite at Doug's level. Better defender, so it kind of evens out, but with a couple million savings in salary.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 710

Post#5 » by Pacers Forever » Mon Aug 2, 2021 11:08 pm

20-21 stats
16 minutes/gm
5.5 points
48% FG
37% 3pt
77% FT
4.0 Reb
1.0 Assists
0.5 Steals
0.5 TO

Definitely a cheaper defensive type role player move.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 2, 2021 11:30 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:20-21 stats
16 minutes/gm
5.5 points
48% FG
37% 3pt
77% FT
4.0 Reb
1.0 Assists
0.5 Steals
0.5 TO

Definitely a cheaper defensive type role player move.

Yup. A cheaper 3 and D role player type guy. Also, pretty darned good in locker rooms.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 824

Re: Pacers sign F Torrey Craig 2/$10m 

Post#8 » by Pacersike » Mon Aug 2, 2021 11:55 pm

Days that I knew the good players of other teams are over, so I can only look forward to his contributions.

His age tells me he is not a player we can develop into someone much better though.

Because of Warrens low durability, I'm still on the wait for the Pacers to sign/trade for a player that hasn't proven himself yet, but is a player that our scouts predict to become a contributor. If we can sign such a player with such potential, we can really make a difference, also financially.

The Pacers way is too much player produces, gets signed by/traded to Pacers and not enough Pacers sign/trade for player, player starts producing big numbers.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 3, 2021 12:00 am

Pacersike wrote:Days that I knew the good players of other teams are over, so I can only look forward to his contributions.

His age tells me he is not a player we can develop into someone much better though.

Because of Warrens low durability, I'm still on the wait for the Pacers to sign/trade for a player that hasn't proven himself yet, but is a player that our scouts predict to become a contributor. If we can sign such a player with such potential, we can really make a difference, also financially.

The Pacers way is too much player produces, gets signed by/traded to Pacers and not enough Pacers sign/trade for player, player starts producing big numbers.

Sabonis, McConnell, Brissett, Sumner, Justin, and even McDermott have done so the last couple years. :dontknow:
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#10 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Aug 3, 2021 12:06 am

Pacersike wrote:Days that I knew the good players of other teams are over, so I can only look forward to his contributions.

It seems very hard in the NBA to get players ready to break out unless you draft and hit a gem or over pay another teams young player to try and pry them away making them and that organization decide level of risk and loyalty. It seems easier in the NFL.
Pacersike
Analyst

Post#11 » by Pacersike » Tue Aug 3, 2021 1:00 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:

Sabonis, McConnell, Brissett, Sumner, Justin, and even McDermott have done so the last couple years. :dontknow:

I saw Sabonis coming :D . Ask Philadelphia fans how awesome McConnell already was. Brissett did not shine against the better teams in the playoffs. Sumner got drafted and is just a very average bench player. I was very surprised we got Justin that cheap, because I already valued him high. McDermott's salary indicates how established he already was.

I know I aim high, but that's how a team like the Pacers can make big differences and they should get better at predicting. Since Bird stepped down, our draft hasn't been that good either.
Pacersike
Analyst

Post#12 » by Pacersike » Tue Aug 3, 2021 1:03 am

Pacers Forever wrote:

It seems very hard in the NBA to get players ready to break out unless you draft and hit a gem or over pay another teams young player to try and pry them away making them and that organization decide level of risk and loyalty. It seems easier in the NFL.

I would guess it is always hard to predict peoples achievements. Got to aim for making right predictions though. Pacers understandably mostly want to play it safe in trades and free agency.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 3, 2021 1:07 am

Pacersike wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I saw Sabonis coming :D . Ask Philadelphia fans how awesome McConnell already was. Brissett did not shine against the better teams in the playoffs. Sumner got drafted and is just a very average bench player. I was very surprised we got Justin that cheap, because I already valued him high. McDermott's salary indicates how established he already was.

I know I aim high, but that's how a team like the Pacers can make big differences and they should get better at predicting. Since Bird stepped down, our draft hasn't been that good either.

Then, I don't know that it would be possible, at all, if everyone who we got cheap vastly improved, but they don't count, and you want better than that? :dontknow:
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#14 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Aug 3, 2021 1:18 am

Pacersike wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:

I would guess it is always hard to predict peoples achievements. Got to aim for making right predictions though. Pacers understandably mostly want to play it safe in trades and free agency.

I give the Pacers credit on TJ Warren signing especially if he reverts back to close to Bubble numbers Warren as he was on a steady climb until injury.

Scoot, if Warren’s first half of season is solid can the Pacers extend him before free agency if it’s a great deal for him to not pass up ? Or do they have to wait until after free agency ?
Pacersike
Analyst

Post#15 » by Pacersike » Tue Aug 3, 2021 1:32 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Pacersike wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Then, I don't know that it would be possible, at all, if everyone who we got cheap vastly improved, but they don't count, and you want better than that? :dontknow:

I want better yes, and I also like surprises. Which I didn't get enough, because I'm good at valuing players :D . What a beautiful world this is, watching far less NBA, I will get my surprises :D .
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 3, 2021 1:59 am

Pacers Forever wrote:
Pacersike wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:

I give the Pacers credit on TJ Warren signing especially if he reverts back to close to Bubble numbers Warren as he was on a steady climb until injury.

Scoot, if Warren’s first half of season is solid can the Pacers extend him before free agency if it’s a great deal for him to not pass up ? Or do they have to wait until after free agency ?

Warren can extend at any time until the day before his contract expires. However, he would be limited to no more than 4 new years, and he could only receive a 20% raise on this upcoming year's salary with 8% raises. This would allow him a maximum extension of 4 new years, at a total of roughly $68m in new money. Which, if he has a good year, won't be enough.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#17 » by Topofthekey » Tue Aug 3, 2021 6:27 am

He seems like a fine role player, but I kind of hate this signing as it probably means that he would be getting the minutes that otherwise could have gone to Kelan Martin

I hope I'm wrong and Pacers intend to continue developing Martin and Torrey Craig is meant to be an emergency backup

But who am I kidding, $5m isn't the type of money you pay an emergency backup, he's absolutely going to push Martin to the end of the bench, isn't he
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 3, 2021 12:27 pm

Topofthekey wrote:He seems like a fine role player, but I kind of hate this signing as it probably means that he would be getting the minutes that otherwise could have gone to Kelan Martin

I hope I'm wrong and Pacers intend to continue developing Martin and Torrey Craig is meant to be an emergency backup

But who am I kidding, $5m isn't the type of money you pay an emergency backup, he's absolutely going to push Martin to the end of the bench, isn't he

Different roles, really. Craig will be more of a defensive 3/4, based on his history. Martin would be more of an offensive 2/3. Hypothetically, Craig is more of a Sampson replacement defensively than he is a Doug replacement offensively. Duarte (roster wise) would be more of an Aaron replacement. Martin is still Martin.

As is, it will be tough for Martin to get on the court, but we’ve also deepened our development staff and assistant coaching staff quite a bit, so hopefully more time to work these guys.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 3, 2021 12:35 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#20 » by 8305 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 3:11 pm

Torey Craig is a solid player. Looks like a solid #8 or #9 rotational guy on a good team. So we've got like 12 of those guys now? Rhetorical question did we get him to look good on the bench or just assure us that we minimize the development minutes/opportunity that could be allocated to Brissett and Duarte?

Return to Indiana Pacers