Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Re: 2021 Training Camp and PreSeason notes 

Post#21 » by pacers33granger » Wed Oct 6, 2021 3:53 pm

Wizop wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:Aaron Holiday is a good player

Like many Pacer rookies, the team just did not manage to find a role for him

he was given every chance to become the first guard off the bench and McConnell outplayed him.

Eh, he was given opportunities, but was also jerked around with his role constantly. It wasn't really fair to ask him to compete with an established backup PG when he had previously been slotted as a scoring guard, which we just ended up not needing.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#22 » by Wizop » Wed Oct 6, 2021 4:09 pm

pacers33granger wrote:Eh, he was given opportunities, but was also jerked around with his role constantly. It wasn't really fair to ask him to compete with an established backup PG when he had previously been slotted as a scoring guard, which we just ended up not needing.

slotted? he played both positions at times and proved to be a shooting guard in a point guard's body. no coach created that role artificially. he played himself into it. we agree though that we didn't need a scoring guard who couldn't defend size particularly after drafting Duarte.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#23 » by pacers33granger » Wed Oct 6, 2021 4:15 pm

Wizop wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:Eh, he was given opportunities, but was also jerked around with his role constantly. It wasn't really fair to ask him to compete with an established backup PG when he had previously been slotted as a scoring guard, which we just ended up not needing.

slotted? he played both positions at times and proved to be a shooting guard in a point guard's body. no coach created that role artificially. he played himself into it. we agree though that we didn't need a scoring guard who couldn't defend size particularly after drafting Duarte.

Slotted wasn't the best word. He didn't have a defined role. To be fair, most of the bench guys didn't in that same span given the coaching changes. It makes it tough to work and develop the necessary skills to be a real rotation piece if you're being thrown into random action. It's a skill to be able to handle that and lots of players can't. It was obvious early that Aaron's game was strictly as a scoring guard and he couldn't do anything but that unfortunately.

I don't necessarily think the development issues are any one person's fault. More a byproduct of what has transpired the last few years.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,277

Post#24 » by boomershadow » Thu Oct 7, 2021 2:04 pm

I think Aaron is a legit scorer in this league for sure. You can be a 6 foot pure scorer in today's league. It isn't 2003 anymore. McMillan's last year he was the first guy off the bench and the fill in starter no matter who was out.

It's hard to say much about the Bjorkgren year when there was so much blame to go around everywhere. It wasn't good for anybody. Aaron maybe least of all.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#25 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 7, 2021 3:06 pm

boomershadow wrote:I think Aaron is a legit scorer in this league for sure. You can be a 6 foot pure scorer in today's league. It isn't 2003 anymore. McMillan's last year he was the first guy off the bench and the fill in starter no matter who was out.

It's hard to say much about the Bjorkgren year when there was so much blame to go around everywhere. It wasn't good for anybody. Aaron maybe least of all.

Yup. Maybe he could’ve been a bigger piece for us, but we ultimately used him to get a 1st round pick in Isaiah Jackson. Can’t look at anything of his tenure here as a failure, ultimately, in that he provided for a couple years, and eventually helped return value.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 710

Post#26 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Oct 8, 2021 9:24 am

I listened to the clip on Pacers.com of Carlisle and Wanamaker speaking. It sounds like a good fit with him having 3 years of experience 2 of those with Celtics. Carlisle seemed pleased that he acclimated quickly. Carlisle is probably a bit tired of having several rookies in camp. :lol: Bitadze, Brissett, and Kelan Martin going into their 3rd seasons with very limited experience plus 7 rookies. I’m thinking Wanamaker sticks and can at least fill Sumners spot but I’m guessing he brings a different skill set.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#27 » by Wizop » Fri Oct 8, 2021 1:15 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:I listened to the clip on Pacers.com of Carlisle and Wanamaker speaking.

thanks for the pointer. I went there after reading your post. it sure looks like the 15th spot is his to lose.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#28 » by Wizop » Fri Oct 8, 2021 11:07 pm

Cavs broadcast is on Xfinity league pass free preview. Knicks was too. Pacer TV not doing preseason road games.

Sent from my phone.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#29 » by Tom White » Fri Oct 8, 2021 11:38 pm

Wizop wrote:Pacer TV not doing preseason road games.

Boo! Hiss! A pox on them!
Wizop
RealGM

Post#30 » by Wizop » Sat Oct 9, 2021 1:32 am

Martin looks good. Goga not so much. he and Oshae gunning without success.

Sent from my phone.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 710

Post#31 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Oct 9, 2021 2:53 am

I couldn't watch tonight due to going to a family function. I did check the box score a few times during the game and it appears Brogdon was on fire. Stat wise Turner, Sabonis, Duarte, Lamb, and Martin look like they had solid games. I saw Isaiah Jackson had 3 blocks so good that he's coming along. Again it's pre season but does anyone else wonder why Brissett and Goga are appearing to be worse than the some what raw rookie Jackson ?
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#32 » by pacers33granger » Sat Oct 9, 2021 3:40 pm

Wizop wrote:Martin looks good. Goga not so much. he and Oshae gunning without success.

Sent from my phone.

It seems that Rick has told everyone to to take every open shot. Wouldn't be surprised if he told them all they'd lose minutes if they passed up shots.

Goga and Oshae have both looked rough. But I don't recall any "bad" shots from last night being taken by either of them. Both seemed to slightly hesitate on the last few, knowing they'd missed, but ultimately took them. I think that's an overall good for the team, though it will mean guys who can't keep the defense honest will fall out of the rotation.

Martin looks like he could be a decent contributor for us early on. He seems improved and the confidence boost from knowing your coach wants you to shoot can be huge. Especially with Justin's injury I'd expect him to see good minutes. Glad we kept him around.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,277

Post#33 » by boomershadow » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:31 am

I like the McConnell/Brogdon back court look.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 824

Post#34 » by Pacersike » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:11 pm

boomershadow wrote:I like the McConnell/Brogdon back court look.

Extremely active and a bit passive :).

If that's our starting backcourt, it will do fine during the majority of the game, but not in decisive minutes.

Either way, I'm very glad McConnell returned to play extensive minutes for the Pacers. His mentality could be better, but other players can learn a lot from him.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#35 » by Topofthekey » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:11 pm

Happy birthday Jermaine O'Neal

Still love the gesture of you subbing yourself out of the game so that Reggie may keep the Pacers' scoring title

If only the Pacers of your era wasn't tarnished by the brawl, if only the Pacers of your era at least made a finals appearance

Still, happy birthday
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#36 » by Tom White » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:57 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Happy birthday Jermaine O'Neal

Still love the gesture of you subbing yourself out of the game so that Reggie may keep the Pacers' scoring title

If only the Pacers of your era wasn't tarnished by the brawl, if only the Pacers of your era at least made a finals appearance

Still, happy birthday

I don't remember, so please remind me. How close was the score in that game?
The reason I ask is that maybe he didn't have to come out of the game. Maybe what he could have done is to just not shoot the ball? Sure, he could have wound up getting fouled, but then you just miss the FT on purpose.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#37 » by Topofthekey » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:23 pm

Tom White wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:Happy birthday Jermaine O'Neal

Still, happy birthday

I don't remember, so please remind me. How close was the score in that game?
The reason I ask is that maybe he didn't have to come out of the game. Maybe what he could have done is to just not shoot the ball? Sure, he could have wound up getting fouled, but then you just miss the FT on purpose.

Can't remember the exact game, I'm going to have to look it up

Ok, found it, it was against the Bucks:
https://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=250104011

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Wizop
RealGM

Post#38 » by Wizop » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:24 am

I'd forgotten what a healthy Lamb could do.

Sent from my phone.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#39 » by 8305 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:13 am

My too early hot takes

Turner and Sabonis is still clunky. To get these two the minutes they will want they will have to be staggered at the 5. More nights than not one of them will be on the bench at the end of games. If Turner and Sabonis stay healthy I don’t see how Goga gets any run. The way he looks maybe that’s as it should be.

I think Duarte is one of our 5 best players and I wonder if Jackson doesn’t get run too. Hopefully KP has finally had a good draft.

The notion that TJ McConnell can play big minutes on a good team is silly. A good team will work him at the defensive end and play off him on offense. He’s good for 15 to 20 minutes of off the bench off the bench. If we have to use him for more we’ve got a problem.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#40 » by Tom White » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:59 pm

Wizop wrote:I'd forgotten what a healthy Lamb could do.

It seems the front office had forgotten as well. Remember, they were trying to trade him?
Duarte and Jackson are going to help a good bit.
Either the Griz have quietly put together an offense, or the Pacers defense is made of swiss cheese.
Will Goga ever look like he fits? Anywhere?
Why did they sign Craig?

I know, I know. It is just one game, but still....

Return to Indiana Pacers