Read on Twitter
?s=20
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Re: Woj: Brogdon extends 2/$45m - 4/$89m total 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:22 pm

2/$45m would mean that he's not really getting much, if any, of a raise over his last season's deal of $22.6m.

His current 2 years he's signed for will still run ($21.7m this year and $22.6m next year). Then, 2 new years are added on after that, for a total of $45m combined. We will see how it's split up going forward.

Also, because this extension gives him 4 years remaining, which is more than the limit of 3 years in a potential "extend and trade" scenario, Brogdon is un-tradeable for 6 months from signing.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Post#3 » by Wizop » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:41 pm

I think this makes Brogdon the longest contract other than maybe Duarte and Jackson. I think previously Sabonis had the longest deal. besides the 6 month trading moratorium, I think this signals that there are no thoughts about replacing him.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:44 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Full story from Woj…

Woj implies it's a flat $22.5m per year salary for each of the 2 new years.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#5 » by boomershadow » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:08 pm

Seems like a solid deal. He has been a good player for us. Could be with us for the duration. Could be a solid trade chip if not.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:30 am

Wizop wrote:I think this makes Brogdon the longest contract other than maybe Duarte and Jackson. I think previously Sabonis had the longest deal. besides the 6 month trading moratorium, I think this signals that there are no thoughts about replacing him.

McConnell, too.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#7 » by Topofthekey » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:15 am

There are young players like Jaren Jackson being paid based on potential, so Brogdon at $22.5m per year is fine

My main concern is the LeVert + Brogdon backcourt was pretty bad last season - unless something happens with LeVert, we're basically stuck with this backcourt for at least this season. Yuck
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#8 » by boomershadow » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:19 am

Topofthekey wrote:There are young players like Jaren Jackson being paid based on potential, so Brogdon at $22.5m per year is fine

My main concern is the LeVert + Brogdon backcourt was pretty bad last season - unless something happens with LeVert, we're basically stuck with this backcourt for at least this season. Yuck

A lot of things were bad last season lol. I'm pretty willing to give everything a chance to see what works under Carlisle and what doesn't.

Defensively, it's not great. I would feel a lot better about it if Warren were healthy. Last year it was basically a lot of meh to bad defenders plus Myles. Myles can cover for a lot, but that is a lot to ask
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:09 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 719

Post#10 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:27 pm

Topofthekey wrote:There are young players like Jaren Jackson being paid based on potential, so Brogdon at $22.5m per year is fine

I’m not against the extension of Brogdon as he’s a very good offensive player. I’m just not a fan of Brogdon at point guard and would rather see him at shooting guard. Hopefully LeVert will embrace the scoring roll on the second unit this season. I’d rather see Duarte in the starting lineup than McConnell to pair with Brogdon than LeVert. Maybe the experiment this season will lead to a better team construction next year whether Brogdon stays or is moved.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Topofthekey » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:01 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:

I’m not against the extension of Brogdon as he’s a very good offensive player. I’m just not a fan of Brogdon at point guard and would rather see him at shooting guard. Hopefully LeVert will embrace the scoring roll on the second unit this season. I’d rather see Duarte in the starting lineup than McConnell to pair with Brogdon than LeVert. Maybe the experiment this season will lead to a better team construction next year whether Brogdon stays or is moved.

I love the idea of Duarte in the starting lineup

Domas initiates the offense so much anyway, so maybe the team doesn't need a traditional PG in the starting lineup
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#12 » by 8305 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:33 pm

This is a really solid signing if we can get 60 or so regular season games out of him and he's available for the Playoffs. My understanding is he was injury red flagged coming out of college. That's why he fell to the 2nd round. Isn't KP the GM who gave Brandon Roy a big extension with similar red flags only to have that contract completely blow up? I hope they have a plan for managing his minutes so that he's functional when year 4 of this deal rolls around.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:12 pm

8305 wrote:This is a really solid signing if we can get 60 or so regular season games out of him and he's available for the Playoffs. My understanding is he was injury red flagged coming out of college. That's why he fell to the 2nd round. Isn't KP the GM who gave Brandon Roy a big extension with similar red flags only to have that contract completely blow up? I hope they have a plan for managing his minutes so that he's functional when year 4 of this deal rolls around.

Yes. He signed Roy to his rookie contract extension. Would have been nearly impossible not to have, at the time.
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by 8305 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:53 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
8305 wrote:This is a really solid signing if we can get 60 or so regular season games out of him and he's available for the Playoffs. My understanding is he was injury red flagged coming out of college. That's why he fell to the 2nd round. Isn't KP the GM who gave Brandon Roy a big extension with similar red flags only to have that contract completely blow up? I hope they have a plan for managing his minutes so that he's functional when year 4 of this deal rolls around.

Yes. He signed Roy to his rookie contract extension. Would have been nearly impossible not to have, at the time.

My recall is that the team knew he had a degenerative knee condition when he was signed to his rookie extension. He had far out performed his rookie deal so the team would have taken a lot of heat had they played hardball in contract negotiations. But, they got nothing from him in the years he played after signing his big contract. I recall thinking the Blazers were nuts agreeing to that deal.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:35 am

8305 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

My recall is that the team knew he had a degenerative knee condition when he was signed to his rookie extension. He had far out performed his rookie deal so the team would have taken a lot of heat had they played hardball in contract negotiations. But, they got nothing from him in the years he played after signing his big contract. I recall thinking the Blazers were nuts agreeing to that deal.

Roy signed his extension in the 2009 offseason, a year ahead of time, and still played in 69 games and made the All Star game that year.

Being the GM who didn’t extend his 2 time (soon to be 3 time) All Star, All-NBA (soon to be 2 time), young superstar player would’ve been the greatest GM non-signing of ALL TIME. It would’ve been a miraculous dodge, so to speak. I’m not sure I’ve heard of anyone actually be able to pull that off. It’s right he shouldn’t have extended him, but there was realistically no way he could’ve done that. He’d have been fired for not extending Roy.
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by 8305 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:45 am

You may be right. My recollection is that he signed his extension and broke down immediately. My worry is that in Malcom Brogdan we have guy who came into the league with injury concerns, has always had issues with staying on the court and now we are committed to him four years out. It’s not like we haven’t been burned by this circumstance before. See Danny Granger and Jermaine O’Neil. Should we be considering ways to manage his minutes? I love his game but, we all know how frustrating it is to hit the Playoffs and know we stand no chance because we are missing key guys.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#17 » by boomershadow » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:59 pm

Brogdon is kinda like Anthony Davis. He is gonna get knicked up during the season and miss 10 or 20 games for this or that almost like clockwork. I don't have any major red flags that his bum knee is gonna give out or an old injury will show up and he will be out a year or two.

Freak injuries can happen to anybody though.
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by 8305 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:40 pm

boomershadow wrote:Brogdon is kinda like Anthony Davis. He is gonna get knicked up during the season and miss 10 or 20 games for this or that almost like clockwork. I don't have any major red flags that his bum knee is gonna give out or an old injury will show up and he will be out a year or two.

Freak injuries can happen to anybody though.

My understanding is the chronic issue is with his feet.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:03 pm

8305 wrote:You may be right. My recollection is that he signed his extension and broke down immediately.

It was the tail end of that season immediately after extending, so you’re not far off, if at all. I just think the PR backlash would’ve been monumental, and it’s one of those decisions that Pritchard might have been able to bask in, after having been fired for making it, so to speak. :lol:

My worry is that in Malcom Brogdan we have guy who came into the league with injury concerns, has always had issues with staying on the court and now we are committed to him four years out. It’s not like we haven’t been burned by this circumstance before. See Danny Granger and Jermaine O’Neil. Should we be considering ways to manage his minutes? I love his game but, we all know how frustrating it is to hit the Playoffs and know we stand no chance because we are missing key guys.

I hear that, but, as Tony East has pointed out on his recent podcast of Locked on Pacers, Brogdon hasn’t missed playoff games. Granted, the Covid shutdown helped him in that one year, but he misses regular season games, not playoff games.

I do however think that we’re going to see him play a more realistic 32-34 minutes a night and being pulled early in blowouts, rather than last years 37+ minutes per night, no matter what.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Topofthekey » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:46 pm

I mean, what's the alternative?

Not extend Brogdon and let him leave via free agency?

Find a trade for him? Who can we trade him for?

I think I prefer extending him to the above scenarios, as long as the $$ is reasonable

Return to Indiana Pacers