New Indystar Pacers writer James Boyd - True story

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

HurricaneDij25
Junior
And1: 273

New Indystar Pacers writer James Boyd - True story 

Post#1 » by HurricaneDij25 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:39 am

This guy literally accused me of being a racist while on Twitter during the Carmel/Gary West Side boys semi-state last March.

He reported a questionable call in overtime of that game that went against West Side. With the game being a predominately black school against a predominantly white one, I made the suggestion to Mr. Boyd (he’s 25, I’m 33) that there may have been some racially biased referees working against West Side. Mr. Boyd, somehow and someway, interpreted my comment that I was saying his critique is racially biased (he is black, I am white).

Truth be told, however, I don’t think it was a true misinterpretation at all. Having dealt with Mr. Boyd here in the NWI sports scene, I have had to read his constant LeBron/Lakers propaganda tweets. He thinks LeBron James is a perfect person and will root for any team LeBron plays for, a prototypical shameless frontrunner. And because I have openly criticized LeBron’s collusion tactics, I to this day believe that Mr. Boyd was merely looking for an excuse to label me racist, simply because I don’t kneel to his guy…

Bottom line, the guy has some serious emotional maturity issues about him. But then again, J. Michael probably didn’t set they bar too high…

If anyone chooses to enjoy Mr. Boyd’s articles in the future, just know that he is a fake Pacers fan. A clown that changes career paths is still a clown.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Re: New Indystar Pacers writer James Boyd - True story 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:39 pm

To be fair, Beat writers shouldn’t be a fan of the team they cover, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

My main concern is that the IndyStar is clearly going for young (read, cheap salary), relatively fresh into reporting, writers to cover their major beats. They’ve lost guys like Stephen Holder, Curt Cavin, Terry Hutchens, and a ton of other long run writers with decades of experience on their beats and hired guys fresh out of college. It’s worked well with the Zak Keefers of the world, so there’s hope. But in the past, this pacers post was filled with experienced writers like JMichael, Candace Buckner, C Jemal Horton, Sekou Smith, and more.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:42 pm

To be clear, I am happy to give him a fair shot from the start. My opinion from here will simply go with the quality of his work. :dontknow:
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 710

Post#4 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:01 am

Let’s say I’m not a fan of his Twitter continuously broadcasting the game like we’re not watching the broadcast. As for Lebron he’s a great basketball player. That’s where it ends for me. Personally comes across with no values I respect. So many other athletes who are better human beings of different ethnicities.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:29 am

To be fair, Lebron's a really good dude who's done a TON of really good things for the community. And has generally lead a pretty quiet and stand up personal life. I hate him on the court for what he's done to my team's, but I respect the crap out of him personally.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#6 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:55 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:To be fair, Lebron's a really good dude who's done a TON of really good things for the community. And has generally lead a pretty quiet and stand up personal life. I hate him on the court for what he's done to my team's, but I respect the crap out of him personally.

I know Scoot we disagree on Lebron and it’s cool. I respect his game like Jordan, Kobe, Curry, and so many basketball greats game. I dislike star favoritism within the game by the league and refs.

I don’t hate him off the court. I have my reasoning that I don’t want to discuss. I would speculate most every person in the world have a person or persons that they dislike whether it be political, ethical, relationship oriented, business related and so on.
I know he’s good to some. In today’s world you see so many publicized people and we as individuals pick our favorites based on our own criteria.
We all don’t like the same actors and actresses, musicians, politicians, sports players, and so on. I’m only mentioning Lebron because of the poster saying the beat writer is a big fan. I have so many other people of prominence in this world who I don’t respect even though others like them and their values.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:21 am

Pacers Forever wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:To be fair, Lebron's a really good dude who's done a TON of really good things for the community. And has generally lead a pretty quiet and stand up personal life. I hate him on the court for what he's done to my team's, but I respect the crap out of him personally.

I know Scoot we disagree on Lebron and it’s cool. I respect his game like Jordan, Kobe, Curry, and so many basketball greats game. I dislike star favoritism within the game by the league and refs.

I don’t hate him off the court. I have my reasoning that I don’t want to discuss. I would speculate most every person in the world have a person or persons that they dislike whether it be political, ethical, relationship oriented, business related and so on.
I know he’s good to some. In today’s world you see so many publicized people and we as individuals pick our favorites based on our own criteria.
We all don’t like the same actors and actresses, musicians, politicians, sports players, and so on. I’m only mentioning Lebron because of the poster saying the beat writer is a big fan. I have so many other people of prominence in this world who I don’t respect even though others like them and their values.

I get that. We all don't have to like the same people, or dislike the same people. But you said he has NO values you respect? That seems quite harsh. Maybe you just meant something else not so absolute?
HurricaneDij25
Junior
And1: 273

Post#8 » by HurricaneDij25 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:15 am

Pacers Forever wrote:Let’s say I’m not a fan of his Twitter continuously broadcasting the game like we’re not watching the broadcast.

He’s used to covering HS games that aren’t televised…

A good-hearted man, but extremely agenda-driven and occasionally lets his emotions get the best of him while on twitter.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#9 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:59 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:

I get that. We all don't have to like the same people, or dislike the same people. But you said he has NO values you respect? That seems quite harsh. Maybe you just meant something else not so absolute?

You’re correct it’s not absolute as it’s really just a few issues that turn me away from respecting him as I do other public figures. Thanks for letting me rephrase.

Return to Indiana Pacers