Shams: Pacers Moving toward Rebuild; Receptive to Trade Talks

Moderators: pacers33granger, Jake0890, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan

Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Re: Shams: Pacers Moving toward Rebuild; Receptive to Trade Talks 

Post#101 » by 8305 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:51 pm

Turner last week, Domas this week. At this point I could see both of them thinking they would be better off in a situation where a two big look is employed for a significant portion of every game. Pretty good chance a move would put the traded player in a better situation. We were bad last year no better this year. Simon’s comments indicate to me that he is either clueless or just doesn’t want to rock the boat. All the close games tell me teams don’t respect us enough to play hard early. Justifiably, they know they can get away with turning it up in the fourth quarter and pull out the win.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,170

Post#102 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:51 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Matt Moore (@hpbasketball), put this out today.

Here’s the link
https://www.actionnetwork.com/nba/nba-trade-intel-league-sources-on-trade-season-expectations

And the quote
Kevin O’Connor of the Ringer reported that Domantas Sabonis wants out of Indiana. That’s what I was told by multiple league sources as well, and that it wasn’t just this season, but instead going back to last year Sabonis was looking for a change of scenery.

However, Scott Agness who covers the Pacers and is plugged in refuted that sentiment.

It’s apparently the same pushback that J.Michael also reported after he left the Pacers position.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 954

Post#103 » by Tom White » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:19 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

It’s apparently the same pushback that J.Michael also reported after he left the Pacers position.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Copied from the tweet for clarity: " when you hear everybody tell the same story to the detail it’s actually heresay at best, or collusion."

There IS a third option. Could be they were right.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#104 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:24 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Copied from the tweet for clarity: " when you hear everybody tell the same story to the detail it’s actually heresay at best, or collusion."

There IS a third option. Could be they were right.

Sure. But I would assume that if it was that clear and correct, it would’ve been a much more open thing, and impossible to cover up last year when these rumors surfaced. If they’re correct, they couldn’t have been that silent if it’s gone around the league.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#105 » by Topofthekey » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:27 pm

8305 wrote:Turner last week, Domas this week. At this point I could see both of them thinking they would be better off in a situation where a two big look is employed for a significant portion of every game. Pretty good chance a move would put the traded player in a better situation. We were bad last year no better this year. Simon’s comments indicate to me that he is either clueless or just doesn’t want to rock the boat. All the close games tell me teams don’t respect us enough to play hard early. Justifiably, they know they can get away with turning it up in the fourth quarter and pull out the win.

Or maybe he thinks he knows best, and in his opinion the roster is fine the way it is

If that's true, then Simon is the one that's holding the team back

Imagine if they had felt a sense of urgency to improve, and went out and traded Lamb + Holiday + 2RP for Lonzo

And let's say they followed that up with a LeVert + sweetener for Terrence Ross

Myles, Goga
Domas, Jackson
Ross, Warren
Brogdon, Duarte
Lonzo, McConnell

They'd still have Brissett, Craig, and Martin for more depth

I think this team would have performed much better than what we have right now
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#106 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:44 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
8305 wrote:Turner last week, Domas this week. At this point I could see both of them thinking they would be better off in a situation where a two big look is employed for a significant portion of every game. Pretty good chance a move would put the traded player in a better situation. We were bad last year no better this year. Simon’s comments indicate to me that he is either clueless or just doesn’t want to rock the boat. All the close games tell me teams don’t respect us enough to play hard early. Justifiably, they know they can get away with turning it up in the fourth quarter and pull out the win.

Or maybe he thinks he knows best, and in his opinion the roster is fine the way it is

If that's true, then Simon is the one that's holding the team back

The good thing is, Simon is generally pretty hands off except for major direction. Even he hedged his comments in that interview by saying essentially, "if we lose, that changes things and we may have to make a trade".
Imagine if they had felt a sense of urgency to improve, and went out and traded Lamb + Holiday + 2RP for Lonzo

Lonzo had no interest in coming to Indy, so this just wouldn't have been a possibility in any way.
And let's say they followed that up with a LeVert + sweetener for Terrence Ross

Maybe, but this past offseason, that just wasn't in the neighborhood of reality, and it isn't a legal deal. Orlando wasn't under the cap, so you'd have to match salary, and there just wasn't a way to do so.

I think this team would have performed much better than what we have right now

Yeah, maybe? But probably not. I think a lot of Lonzo's value this year is having no offensive pressure on himself with Lavin, DDR, and Vucevic there. In Indy, he'd clearly have a MUCH higher usage, and his game hasn't held up to it. But in hindsight, maybe it's worth a shot? Reports at the time sounded like we had interest, but Lonzo didn't?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,176

Post#107 » by Wizop » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:45 pm

Topofthekey wrote:And let's say they followed that up with a LeVert + sweetener for Terrence Ross

I'm still not sure how much of LeVert's issues are health and how much are we needed more of a ball handler. I just have a hard time applying hind sight to last summer's decisions. back then we expected more out of not just LeVert but Warren, Summner, and McConnell. I also expected more from Carlisle.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#108 » by Wizop » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:05 pm

Here's text exchange with my friend Bob.

Bob
I kinda got pissed. Here the man invites you in to his office and all you can do is ridicule. Getting fed up with all these know-it-alls

Me
Agness and Kravitz both wrote stories on the meeting without being snarky

Bob
Haven't seen those. All these idiots who want to dump Domas. Part of me thinks they dont like the fact that a foreigner can play the game better tgan most of the phi slamma jamma types

Me
I don't think the roster strategy that works in NY and LA works here. I'm all for the band of brothers approach. think Butler Way or Knight at IU after he learned the superstars wouldn't put up with his BS. I understand where Herb was coming from. this looked good in August and then Sumner went down, LeVert hurt his back and Warren's recovery was delayed and TJ hurt his hand - and maybe Carlisle was too slow to play the youngsters and maybe his offense is a bit stubborn as we don't win 3 point shooting contests. I don't know how to fix the second half collapses but I'm not second guessing the summer decisions

Bob
Agree wholecheartedly. Just hope Warren can become his old self
And for all that bluster, when was the last Knicks championship?

Me
I think a healthy Warren would make a huge difference. and if he is out all year, he's not getting the huge summer contract bump we all thought he'd earn.
an interesting stat is that the playing Turner and Sabonis together has a plus net difference. playing either alone is negative. the two center lineup is not the problem. also Cleveland is winning with two bigs. the difference is at point guard.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,063

Post#109 » by LoveMyRaps » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:44 pm

OG for Sabonis is a pretty good framework and makes a ton of sense for both sides. I feel like both teams have had preliminary discussions.

Us Raps fans absolutely love OG and his potential but we have Barnes & Siakam.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#110 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:54 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:OG for Sabonis is a pretty good framework and makes a ton of sense for both sides. I feel like both teams have had preliminary discussions.

Oh, I totally agree.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#111 » by Wizop » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:01 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:OG for Sabonis is a pretty good framework and makes a ton of sense for both sides. I feel like both teams have had preliminary discussions.

As much as I like OG, I don't think our problem is Turbonis. Brogdon is a leader and a good offensive coordinator, but Sabonis is our best passer. I'd rather send LeVert for Dragic assuming he'd report.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#112 » by Vorda » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:10 am

Wizop wrote:

As much as I like OG, I don't think our problem is Turbonis. Brogdon is a leader and a good offensive coordinator, but Sabonis is our best passer. I'd rather send LeVert for Dragic assuming he'd report.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app

Dragić is 36 years old... that makes no sense... Levert is our best ballhandler... without him we are total trash... Sabonis is best passer, but he is terrible defender and he has to many TO every game
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#113 » by Topofthekey » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:59 am

Wizop wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:And let's say they followed that up with a LeVert + sweetener for Terrence Ross

I'm still not sure how much of LeVert's issues are health and how much are we needed more of a ball handler. I just have a hard time applying hind sight to last summer's decisions. back then we expected more out of not just LeVert but Warren, Summner, and McConnell. I also expected more from Carlisle.

It's not about applying hindsight

The problem is expecting injury prone players to stay healthy enough to be full time starters

It's fine to roll the dice on injury prone players. Maybe you get rewarded, maybe you don't. But it's not fine to roll the dice on them if they're going to be your bread and butter

One may buy a lottery ticket and dream of a vacation. One shouldn't buy a lottery ticket and hope it will provide dinner
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#114 » by Tom White » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:49 pm

Topofthekey wrote:One may buy a lottery ticket and dream of a vacation. One shouldn't buy a lottery ticket and hope it will provide dinner

That's pretty good. You should change your screen name to Confucius.
Dude-niagara
Bench Warmer
And1: 984

Post#115 » by Dude-niagara » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:19 am

Now that owner has stated no rebuild the Pacers should trade Turner/Lavert plus a 2023 first rounders for Siakam/Flynn and Wantanabe. You get a post 20plus scorer and excellent wing defender in Siakam plus two quality bench players.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#116 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:37 am

This team is all kinds of bonkers

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Dude-niagara
Bench Warmer
And1: 984

Post#117 » by Dude-niagara » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:12 am

Siakam should be traded because he and Barnes play the same positions and Siakam will not be willing to take a step back
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#118 » by Topofthekey » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:01 am

Dude-niagara wrote:Now that owner has stated no rebuild the Pacers should trade Turner/Lavert plus a 2023 first rounders for Siakam/Flynn and Wantanabe. You get a post 20plus scorer and excellent wing defender in Siakam plus two quality bench players.

Interesting trade but the FRP is going the wrong direction
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#119 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:55 am

Dude-niagara wrote:

Siakam should be traded because he and Barnes play the same positions and Siakam will not be willing to take a step back

Maybe, but fiscally, it’s very hard to make Siakam’s deal work in Indy this year and going forward. He’d likely have to go to a 3rd team.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#120 » by Tom White » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:08 pm

Dude-niagara wrote:Now that owner has stated no rebuild the Pacers should trade Turner/Lavert plus a 2023 first rounders for Siakam/Flynn and Wantanabe. You get a post 20plus scorer and excellent wing defender in Siakam plus two quality bench players.

That's the sort of trade dreams are made of. Your dreams, not ours.

Return to Indiana Pacers