Shams: Pacers Moving toward Rebuild; Receptive to Trade Talks

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,026

Re: Shams: Pacers Moving toward Rebuild; Receptive to Trade Talks 

Post#241 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:36 pm

pacers33granger wrote:The list of teams interested in Myles is underwhelming. I don't see much that we should want from those teams outside of huge overpays for Myles.

Yeah. To get good value from the Mavs, we'd probably have to really like Jalen Brunson. Salary filler there is tough, though, as they don't have any large expirings to make it work with Brunson for Turner, and if we have to take back Powell or Bullock, it makes it much tougher to re-sign Brunson at year's end. But, there could be a spot for Brunson at PG to start, as he's shown he could play with Luka, and Brogdon would still get to handle the ball a ton. Would require a Levert deal.

New York? I highly doubt we could get Barrett. Does any combo of Toppin, Quickley, Grimes, or McBride do it for you? Historically, we haven't take on other teams draft picks, but the Knicks do have all their own picks, plus an eternally lotto protected Charlotte 1st, a top 10 protected Dallas 1st in 2023, and a 2023 Detroit 2nd that will likely only be barely past the 1st round? Salary filler would likely require taking back a multi-year deal in Kemba, Noel, Burks, or Rose.

Lakers? We know that. Best they can offer is THT/Nunn/Reaves/2027 1st. You've got to REALLY believe in THT/Reaves to possibly consider that.

Charlotte we've talked all over the world. They would likely require taking back Plumlee or Oubre. We'd be highly unlikely to get Bridges, so you'd have to either love Washington, or want to start all over with developing another young and raw Texas center in Kai Jones. James Bouknight could be interesting, if you think he and Chris Duarte could co-exist long term, though?

Minnesota was also recently mentioned. They'd probably be Prince as $13m expiring salary filler and either Jaden McDaniels or Jarred Vanderbilt as the "player centerpiece". They'd have to make up a ton of value with draft picks, but they own all their own going forward. Or, maybe you like Malik Beasley? He could replace Prince if you'd rather have his cost assurance than Prince's cap flexibility.
davidfr94
Senior
And1: 500

Post#242 » by davidfr94 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:The list of teams interested in Myles is underwhelming. I don't see much that we should want from those teams outside of huge overpays for Myles.

Yeah. To get good value from the Mavs, we'd probably have to really like Jalen Brunson. Salary filler there is tough, though, as they don't have any large expirings to make it work with Brunson for Turner, and if we have to take back Powell or Bullock, it makes it much tougher to re-sign Brunson at year's end. But, there could be a spot for Brunson at PG to start, as he's shown he could play with Luka, and Brogdon would still get to handle the ball a ton. Would require a Levert deal.

New York? I highly doubt we could get Barrett. Does any combo of Toppin, Quickley, Grimes, or McBride do it for you? Historically, we haven't take on other teams draft picks, but the Knicks do have all their own picks, plus an eternally lotto protected Charlotte 1st, a top 10 protected Dallas 1st in 2023, and a 2023 Detroit 2nd that will likely only be barely past the 1st round? Salary filler would likely require taking back a multi-year deal in Kemba, Noel, Burks, or Rose.

Lakers? We know that. Best they can offer is THT/Nunn/Reaves/2027 1st. You've got to REALLY believe in THT/Reaves to possibly consider that.

Charlotte we've talked all over the world. They would likely require taking back Plumlee or Oubre. We'd be highly unlikely to get Bridges, so you'd have to either love Washington, or want to start all over with developing another young and raw Texas center in Kai Jones. James Bouknight could be interesting, if you think he and Chris Duarte could co-exist long term, though?

Minnesota was also recently mentioned. They'd probably be Prince as $13m expiring salary filler and either Jaden McDaniels or Jarred Vanderbilt as the "player centerpiece". They'd have to make up a ton of value with draft picks, but they own all their own going forward. Or, maybe you like Malik Beasley? He could replace Prince if you'd rather have his cost assurance than Prince's cap flexibility.

Vanderbilt would fit really well with Sabonis though. Sabonis will need to become a respectable 3 point shooter but Vanderbilt IS a Big wing with good rebounding ability and elite défensive potential.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using RealGM mobile app
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#243 » by Wizop » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:36 pm

davidfr94 wrote:Vanderbilt would fit really well with Sabonis

I really liked him when he was in the draft. however, unless the second half of the season is the reverse of the first, we're going to draft high enough to be looking at several similar players. we also have hopes that Jackson will be able to become a 4.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#244 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:47 pm

Myles and his mom tweeting through some apparent unhappiness/dissatisfaction on Twitter last night/this morning.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#245 » by Tom White » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:54 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Myles and his mom tweeting through some apparent unhappiness/dissatisfaction on Twitter last night/this morning.

It never ends well when Moms get involved.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#246 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:02 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Wizop
RealGM

Post#247 » by Wizop » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:09 pm

I've seen some tweets from experts saying that it's a big tell that Turner and Sabonis aren't both on the floor in the final minutes.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#248 » by Tom White » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:54 pm

Man, Twitter is a weird place. But then again, I don't even use Facebook let alone Twitter. So maybe it is just me.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#249 » by Wizop » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:58 pm

Tom White wrote:Man, Twitter is a weird place. But then again, I don't even use Facebook let alone Twitter. So maybe it is just me.

have to be on FaceBook so I can see the pictures of my grandchildren that their parents post. I get no political posts there (I do engage in pollitical debate on Twitter) so FaceBook's algorithms must not have tagged me as interested in "news."
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#250 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:06 pm

I’m a “legacy” on Facebook. I’ve been there so long and have so many family interactions and whatnot on there that I’m not deleting, but I’m rarely on anymore. I enjoy Twitter, but I’ve learned to not post, and stay out of the fray.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#251 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:30 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

He’s also allegedly removed all Indy references from his bio there.
davidfr94
Senior
And1: 500

Post#252 » by davidfr94 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:04 pm

Well i guess we'll go with Sabonis then

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using RealGM mobile app
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,914

Post#253 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:56 pm

So here we go again we will now be harangued into trading Turner like we were when we traded Victor. Turner is the only guy on the team who plays defense at an above average rate. When Vic was traded we ended up with this pile of crap LeVert and some 2nds that will amount to nothing. So now LeHurt is negative and holds little value in a positive way. He's $18 million next season and doesn't make the team any better, so what jacked up pile of junk are we getting for Turner the offers I've seen are useless as the Victor offers were.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,914

Post#254 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:59 pm

If Turner is traded I say dump everyone between now and the draft. I like Sabonis but it's clear he's not gonna be used correctly to get the most out of him. Might as well pull and OKC and dump them all for what ever you can get draft picks and eat other teams salary by operating under the cap for 2-3 years.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#255 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:37 pm

Whether or not that should happen, that's simply not going to happen. I think Simon made clear to that.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#256 » by Wizop » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:44 pm

Pretty clear Turner isn't happy with Carlisle. If we know it, Rick does too. He'll either fix it or he'll tell KP that Myles isn't in his plans.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#257 » by pacers33granger » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:47 am

I love Myles and really would love for him to stick around. But I think Rick has decided he's going with one big in the clutch in the majority of matchups and Domas is our best player. I'm sure Myles is extra disappointed given early speculation that Rick would unlock his game with how much he raved about him.

If we don't move him by the deadline our return will be disappointing (if we trade him). We're not getting the top pick value we could have last year as is. I think there is a team that overpays in picks/swaps, but I'm skeptical management pulls the trigger. Could be something with Vanderbilt and picks that way though.
Assistant Coach
And1: 601

Post#258 » by 8305 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:36 pm

To get value for Turner I think Pacers will have to be willing to receive draft picks. Given where this team is, accumulating draft capital is an appropriate strategy. Hard to see this team going anywhere this year. Draft picks can always be traded for more competition ready guys.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#259 » by Tom White » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:43 pm

8305 wrote: To get value for Turner I think Pacers will have to be willing to receive draft picks.

Honestly, I would not have a problem with that, as long as the picks are not tethered to a John Wall type contract.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#260 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:55 pm

8305 wrote:To get value for Turner I think Pacers will have to be willing to receive draft picks. Given where this team is, accumulating draft capital is an appropriate strategy. Hard to see this team going anywhere this year. Draft picks can always be traded for more competition ready guys.

Yeah, it’s always made sense, and really depends on what the filler is. But it runs that weird middle ground of what picks do you get, and how are you devaluing them by giving up them a Myles Turner while taking nothing of value off the court? If you can run that equation and come out ahead, then go for it. Or you don’t have to wait too awful far into the future to get it.

Historically, Indy has never dealt for another teams undetermined pick, which is weird. They’ve always only dealt for a pick that was specifically determined. AD for the pick when Bender was on the clock. JO for the pick that was Hibbert, while in the clock. Acquiring the Jeff Foster pick on the clock. Etc.

Return to Indiana Pacers