Shams: Pacers Moving toward Rebuild; Receptive to Trade Talks

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Re: Shams: Pacers Moving toward Rebuild; Receptive to Trade Talks 

Post#41 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 9, 2021 4:52 am

Pacers Forever wrote:So correct me if wrong but I’m seeing Carlisle wanted the press and public to know that he and Pritchard talked to the top 4 Pacers players saying that their intent is to win with this team as composed. It also appears that the article from the athletic was viewed as rumor. So in short it sounds as if

A. The Pacers FO are not happy with this article and kind of attention.

B. The leak if there was any at all is a hidden effort / veiled consequence to get the players to band together and save the season for this group because selfish play hasn’t been working out.

C. Strictly a speculative rumor article due to the Pacers bad start to the season. Thus other media ran with the story causing more speculation by all of us thinking the Pacers were really wanting to move players.

D. Having to notify the players that it’s a business and the stands aren’t filled and their could be ramifications if they keep losing.

E. The Pacers really have put other GM’s on notice that they’re serious about trading quality players in order to construct a better fit here only if playoff bound teams in need of an extra piece are willing to help the Pacers rebuild or retool.

In conclusion the FO and players all understand it’s a business and the respective NBA FO’s are in contact and in tune behind the scenes. It’s supposed to be the public shouldn’t know till it happens or is announced.

What say you ? Rumor or truth ?

I don't know that Carlisle wanted the press nad public to know that they talked to the guys. Scott Agness merely reported what he saw that those guys were pulled from the court and together walked toward Pritchard's office.

Someone from Indy wanted this news out there. Maybe it's partially for motivation, but I'm sure if it doesn't work, they'll be listening to offers on them, too. So, whether or not they're upset it went public, I doubt it. It had to have come from inside the Pacers, and relatively higher up. Either Pritchard or Buchanan. And that's fine. Everything gets out there for a reason.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,911

Post#42 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Dec 9, 2021 5:11 am

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Indeed wrote:Perhaps Pacers fans can give some insight in Turner, since I didn't watch many Pacers games.

What insight are you looking for? He’s an absolute game changing defensive center.

which is why I'd much prefer to trade Sabonis - unless Carlisle is willing to let Sabonis be a point-center and then I don't want to trade either of them.

I'm gonna agree with you here. I don't want to trade either of them, but if I have to move one I want to keep Turner for his defense and shot blocking. I'd like to see the team use Sabonis as a point center/forward and see how that goes. Move Brogdan to SG or SF, with Duarte and I'd love to send LeVert packing for what ever we can get and space. I'd like to have a speedy good shooting PG to guard the smaller PG's. A lot will depend on Warren in January 22, if he can play at the level he did before the foot injury maybe some of these issues can resolve.

Like you I'm not a fan of Caris LeVert, I think he's not much of a defensive player and an inefficient chucker. Youi can clearly see the fall off from a hobbled Victor Oladipo to the current LeVert. Victor was a much better all around player than LeVert is even with his leg ailing him at the beginning of last season.

If Sabonis is traded I'd like to see LeVert go in the same deal, his contract is short and he should not take much away from the return we get on Domas if we do indeed trade him.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#43 » by Vorda » Thu Dec 9, 2021 8:43 am

We need to trade Sabonis and Levert... Domas is not feet with Turner, he is bad defender, average 3point shooter and TO machine... Levert doesnt produce what we are expecting from him... he is to passive at offence...

and Lamb to... what a useless player...
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#44 » by Wizop » Thu Dec 9, 2021 1:39 pm

How healthy has LeVert been? Does he understand that he needs to be a better passer? Perhaps we should cut him some slack.

The coaches also seem to have learned what bench players like Martin and Brissett can do. Both are playing well.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 9, 2021 2:07 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Chris Fedor of Cleveland.com (who is usually basically a mouthpiece for whatever Cavs management wants him to say) is reporting that there are fans of Levert in Cavs management. No major specifics.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 9, 2021 2:36 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

The Raptors have had “their eyes on” both of Indiana’s bigs for years, according to a league source; Turner in particular.

————

To open the conversation, the Pacers will surely be looking for a young player or two, as well as draft compensation. It’s hard to imagine the Raptors would part with any of their core four – VanVleet, Anunoby, Pascal Siakam and Barnes – for Sabonis or Turner, meaning it would likely cost them Gary Trent Jr. and multiple future first-round picks.

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 9, 2021 3:03 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Careful. The headline/sizzle is FAR more controversial than the full interview that surrounds it.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#48 » by Wizop » Thu Dec 9, 2021 3:16 pm

theAthletic today has the article that mentioned in Scoot's tweet and a Kravitz article talking about Lance. interesting reading.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 9, 2021 3:18 pm

Huh

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#50 » by Tom White » Thu Dec 9, 2021 3:37 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Huh

Read on Twitter
?s=21

When one team does this, it is interesting and quite concerning. When TWO teams do this, at the same time? I'm not sure what to make of it, but it is worrisome.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 9, 2021 3:49 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Huh

Read on Twitter
?s=21

When one team does this, it is interesting and quite concerning. When TWO teams do this, at the same time? I'm not sure what to make of it, but it is worrisome.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Wizop
RealGM

Post#52 » by Wizop » Thu Dec 9, 2021 5:51 pm

Read on Twitter
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#53 » by winter_mute_13 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:12 am

I have to say, I've long considered that trading one of Myles or Domas to be inevitable, but now that the moment seems near I don't want it to happen lol. Especially Myles, due to being a "homegrown" Pacer, I think.

With LeVert, I don't care as much. I see it as resetting the Oladipo trade to someone Rick likes better, and I'm fine with that.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#54 » by Pacersike » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:18 am

I support Myles. As soon as he spends less energy on complaining, he has already grown mentally, he can become more than a role player.

Sabonis not being able to develop a decent outside shot yet, has taken his value down, on our team and for other teams.

My preference is to enjoy this season with all the players we have right now. See the team play with both TJs.

Because the big silver lining I see is not the coaching of Carlisle but him advicing/taking management decisons.
His character is more in the middle, where Bird was too hard for modern players and Pritchard is too soft.

Finish the season no matter what, make Rick GM and keep Kevin for the players who think they need mental support.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:01 am

I listened to Lowe Post, and he casually mentioned that Indy and Levert went down to the deadline for an extension in discussions before the season and very nearly came to a deal.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:18 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#57 » by Topofthekey » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:01 am

"Role clarity"

Sounds like they need hierarchy, instead of having a bunch of players who see each other as equals
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:20 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:22 pm

Topofthekey wrote:"Role clarity"

Sounds like they need hierarchy, instead of having a bunch of players who see each other as equals

Not to oversimplify it, but it sounds like Myles was most,y saying “Don’t forget I exist”, and “let’s not do the same basic things all the time. Let’s mix it up and we’ll be better off”.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#60 » by Wizop » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:23 pm

Topofthekey wrote:"Role clarity"

I understand completely why Myles doesn't want to just stand in a corner, but I'm fine without a hierarchy. We are not a team built around one or two max players and a bunch of just guys and I approve of that approach. I could go on and on but I'd be repeating things I've written here many times before.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Indiana Pacers