Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Re: Caris LeVert traded to Cavaliers 

Post#21 » by Vorda » Sun Feb 6, 2022 11:16 pm

Wizop wrote:
Vorda wrote:
We have never drafted good player when we had 20-25 pick... I dont see that it will be different this year

Wasn't Jackson 22?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app

we didnt draft him
Vorda
Senior

Post#22 » by Vorda » Sun Feb 6, 2022 11:19 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Vorda wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
No one reasonable expected Okoro. We sold Levert at the absolute highest we could. A mid to late 1st and a super early 2nd are good value. Put them together, and maybe you can grab another Isaiah Jackson type pick of talent falling into the 20’s.

Having extra unencumbered first round picks are great! Having a pick at the top of the 2nd round is great! We probably couldn’t have asked for anything more.

We have never drafted good player when we had 20-25 pick... I dont see that it will be different this year

Pritchard has drafted Isaiah Jackson and Aaron Holiday in that range. That’s not bad. We also just historically haven’t drafted a ton in hat range. Solo Hill amd Miles Plumlee had long careers. Jeff Foster, Al Harrington, and Travis Best were all key contributors to some of the best Pacers teams ever.

But seriously, what other offers do you think were out there for Levert? We weren’t pulling Okoro. Sexton is going into free agency. What do you think we could’ve gotten for Caris that we turned down? His was likely the tippy top of what we could’ve gotten for him in reality. Heck, it’s likely a bit of an overpay for Cleveland.

I dont know, if you cant get nothing you dont make trade... Levert is only 27...
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#23 » by Wizop » Sun Feb 6, 2022 11:22 pm

Vorda wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Vorda wrote:

Wasn't Jackson 22?

we didnt draft him
Of course we did. We traded Aaron and a second for the pick. For technical reasons trade may have been announced as for rights to Jackson but we told them who to draft.

You should read trade forum where Cleveland fans think they gave too much. You could also read Cavs forum.

Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#24 » by Tom White » Sun Feb 6, 2022 11:24 pm

Vorda wrote:I dont know, if you cant get nothing you dont make trade... Levert is only 27...

They get a lot of cap relief for next year. Combined with our other expiring contracts, this can be used to make trades where we take on more salary than we send out. So, that is one possible benefit.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#25 » by Topofthekey » Sun Feb 6, 2022 11:30 pm

LeVert is going to get in the way of Duarte's development if he and Brogdon are both healthy at the same time

Just vacating LeVert's minutes for Duarte has value

The pick looks meh now, but Nets, 76ers, Celtics, and Raptors could all catch Cavaliers in the standings. Especially if the LeVert trade messes up their chemistry. I actually wish the protection on the pick was lighter

The Rockets 2RP could net a decent player, or as pointed by Scoot it can be packaged with the Cavs FRP to move up a little in the draft

Also, don't discount the possibility of Pacers signing Rubio to a multi year contract. He was actually the PG I wanted to see the Pacers acquire in free agency over Brogdon back then. He can still be a useful part of the team moving on if his injuries prove inconsequential

It's not a bad trade at all

I would have been ecstatic if they had managed to get Okoro as well, but that's just me being greedy
Vorda
Senior

Post#26 » by Vorda » Sun Feb 6, 2022 11:31 pm

Wizop wrote:
Vorda wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Wasn't Jackson 22?

we didnt draft him
Of course we did. We traded Aaron and a second for the pick. For technical reasons trade may have been announced as for rights to Jackson but we told them who to draft.

You should read trade forum where Cleveland fans think they gave too much. You could also read Cavs forum.

I'm reading everything... they have enough young players, so their first pick doesnt mean a lot to them... Levert as a six man is a good piece for them in PO
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#27 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Feb 6, 2022 11:32 pm

Vorda wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Vorda wrote:

Pritchard has drafted Isaiah Jackson and Aaron Holiday in that range. That’s not bad. We also just historically haven’t drafted a ton in hat range. Solo Hill amd Miles Plumlee had long careers. Jeff Foster, Al Harrington, and Travis Best were all key contributors to some of the best Pacers teams ever.

But seriously, what other offers do you think were out there for Levert? We weren’t pulling Okoro. Sexton is going into free agency. What do you think we could’ve gotten for Caris that we turned down? His was likely the tippy top of what we could’ve gotten for him in reality. Heck, it’s likely a bit of an overpay for Cleveland.

I dont know, if you cant get nothing you dont make trade... Levert is only 27...

And he'd walk after next season. He reportedly didn't see the Pacers as a long-term fit. Wait until the draft, and his value drops lower. I think it was now or never.

Vorda wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Vorda wrote:

Wasn't Jackson 22?

we didnt draft him

As Wizop pointed out, we absolutely did. We made the selection at that pick, and the trade couldn't be completed until later, but we told the team exactly who to pick at that slot and traded for it. Much like WE didn't draft Kawhi, even though it was our pick. SA did. They told us to pick him to complete the trade.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#28 » by Wizop » Mon Feb 7, 2022 12:13 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Much like WE didn't draft Kawhi, even though it was our pick. SA did. They told us to pick him to complete the trade.

Wasn't getting Thad for pick that became LeVert another example?

Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 716

Post#29 » by Pacers Forever » Mon Feb 7, 2022 12:15 am

I like the possibility of signing Rubio as our starting point guard next season and bye bye Brogdon freeing up some salary to be used elsewhere as Rubio<Brogdon salary. McConnell slots back in on second unit.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Feb 7, 2022 12:18 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#31 » by Pacers Forever » Mon Feb 7, 2022 1:20 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by Tom White » Mon Feb 7, 2022 1:26 am

Pacers Forever wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Oh no! I just realized Pritchard may be able to fulfill his wet dream of acquiring Gordon Hayward and only using cap-space to do it. Or maybe it was Herb's wet dream. Who can keep track anymore?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Feb 7, 2022 1:33 am

Pacers Forever wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Bobby’s a little out there. The draft picks have salary cap holds, so right now, we’re likely maxing out at $15m in cap space, IF we renounce our Dougie TPE, he MLE, Warren’s cap hold, and the BAE. Technically, we’re not even a cap space team at all! :lol:
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#34 » by Pacers Forever » Mon Feb 7, 2022 1:36 am

Tom White wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Oh no! I just realized Pritchard may be able to fulfill his wet dream of acquiring Gordon Hayward and only using cap-space to do it. Or maybe it was Herb's wet dream. Who can keep track anymore?

Shhhhh Don’t give anyone ideas like this. That would be a horrible move talent wise vs the salary he commands. Need to get younger and if we can sign a big salary guy it’s gotta be more of a stud than Hayward.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#35 » by Pacers Forever » Mon Feb 7, 2022 1:39 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Bobby’s a little out there. The draft picks have salary cap holds, so right now, we’re likely maxing out at $15m in cap space, IF we renounce our Dougie TPE, he MLE, Warren’s cap hold, and the BAE. Technically, we’re not even a cap space team at all! :lol:

I just posted this here hoping one of you salary cap guys would explain. I’m close to a zero when it comes to salary cap rules and workings. :lol:
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#36 » by Tom White » Mon Feb 7, 2022 1:41 am

Pacers Forever wrote:Shhhhh Don’t give anyone ideas like this. That would be a horrible move talent wise vs the salary he commands. Need to get younger and if we can sign a big salary guy it’s gotta be more of a stud than Hayward.

Yeah, Scoot eased my fears a bit with his explanation of where Marks might be off in his numbers.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#37 » by Wizop » Mon Feb 7, 2022 2:16 am

Carlisle apparently said it was going to be an unconventional rebuild. Perhaps we'll find out what he meant after deadline.

Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#38 » by Tom White » Mon Feb 7, 2022 2:33 am

Wizop wrote:Carlisle apparently said it was going to be an unconventional rebuild. Perhaps we'll find out what he meant after deadline.

Yeah, I caught that as well. As you say, he was talking about them putting together a path forward that was a bit unconventional. He didn't really specify what he meant by that, but it was probably the most interesting thing I've ever heard him say. Maybe because he didn't get into specifics.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Feb 7, 2022 3:12 am

Granted, they employ people specifically to handle stuff like this, but yikes. :lol:

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Wizop
RealGM

Post#40 » by Wizop » Mon Feb 7, 2022 3:56 am

theAthletic has multiple articles on the trade. Worth reading if you subscribe. I don't know if there's a trial

Return to Indiana Pacers