2022 Draft Thread

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 716

Re: 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#361 » by Pacers Forever » Wed May 18, 2022 10:50 am

Another comment I was surprised hearing was he hoped sticks would be back = Jalen Smith !
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,142

Post#362 » by Gremz » Wed May 18, 2022 11:38 am

Topofthekey wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:

Kevin Pritchard is talking about being aggressive, getting younger, and I believe he’s realized that’s his best way to rebuild in this market. This new aggressiveness would be a continuance from the trade deadline and draft which he refers to. Really feels like it’s now or never for him. Or just maybe he’s found confidence working with Carlisle’s experience and knowledge of the league.

I’m excited to hear he’s open to maneuvering in the draft and willing to make bold moves as long as trade partners cooperate to reshape the future roster. Open to a few different rebuilding moves it appears.

Young talent will gladly come here to try and develop into stars UNLIKE the existing stars who are all about themselves, market exposure, and super teams. Appears he is trying to do a youthful asset reallocation/rebuild without tanking repeatedly. Love this.

Sounds like they’re intent on doing more in depth examination of the draft prospects. Eerily seems like Pritchard has been working with the Colts staff. :o

Something I find interesting at 1:52

He mentioned using their cap space to take in a player and grab another pick

Maybe there's been some preliminary talks. Maybe a team like Hornets are looking to give up a pick to shed some salary. Specifically in the case of Hornets, maybe it's because they are preparing to pay Bridges the max

Later on he also mentioned possibly using the #6 pick to get a player that's already in the NBA

Very interesting

Brogdon to the Knicks for #11 and Fournier. Get her done Kev.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#363 » by Wizop » Wed May 18, 2022 12:44 pm

8305 wrote:I see where the Athletic’s Sam Vincente has Sonchan going at 7 and us taking Murray at 6. When I read Sochan’s scouting report it sounds a lot like Scottie Barnes. What am I missing? Same sense I got 13 years ago with Jru Holiday compared to Russell Westbrook.

It's only a mock but I do tend to grade picks by what I thought of the guy picked next. would I worry if Sochan went right after we chose someone else? yes, I would. but I think 6 is a little high for him. however, if Sochan is a tier 2 guy and Murray is gone, I wouldn't throw things at the TV is we took him over Sharpe.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#364 » by Wizop » Wed May 18, 2022 12:54 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:Brings up another question. Do you think there’s teams who want the same prospect and have to maintain some secrecy in order to keep from losing a prospect ? Or do you think the NBA GM’s talk openly about who they want amongst their inner circle of GM’s ?

I've written this many times, but Donnie Walsh always began his pre-draft press conference by reminding the reporters that he always lied before the draft.

my ex used to have an office at the Colts complex. we weren't even allowed to walk down the hall that went past the war room lest we might get a glimpse of the white boards on the wall.

I think the only context in which they might talk names to another GM is if they are negotiating a trade that depends upon someone being on or off the board at that pick.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#365 » by Topofthekey » Wed May 18, 2022 1:00 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:Brings up another question. Do you think there’s teams who want the same prospect and have to maintain some secrecy in order to keep from losing a prospect ? Or do you think the NBA GM’s talk openly about who they want amongst their inner circle of GM’s ?

That's an interesting observation. It won't surprise me if GMs have their own inner circle of preferred GMs to work with. Perhaps KP has someone over at the Suns. Pacers did pull off two unexpected trades with them quite recently. And Suns GM James Jones did start his playing career with Pacers. Maybe that contributes to the two organisations having a stronger working relationship now
Wizop
RealGM

Post#366 » by Wizop » Wed May 18, 2022 1:24 pm

Hollinger has an article up on theAthletic rating his top 20. He makes the case that centers are over drafted and the value is in 6'7" wings. He has Mathurin rated over Sharpe and Murray. I'm waiting to see how he measures in Chicago. his program height is 6'7" but Hollinger has him 6'6" and he could be 6'5" if he has enough height to guard 3's, I'd be fine with him.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#367 » by Wizop » Wed May 18, 2022 6:01 pm

Read on Twitter
Wizop
RealGM

Post#368 » by Wizop » Wed May 18, 2022 8:44 pm

This might be enough wing span to play some 3 but it's close.

Read on Twitter
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#369 » by boomershadow » Thu May 19, 2022 1:52 pm

Topofthekey wrote:

That's an interesting observation. It won't surprise me if GMs have their own inner circle of preferred GMs to work with. Perhaps KP has someone over at the Suns. Pacers did pull off two unexpected trades with them quite recently. And Suns GM James Jones did start his playing career with Pacers. Maybe that contributes to the two organisations having a stronger working relationship now
We also seemed to have a decent relationship with Dallas. Not sure if that's still the case after Nelson's departure or what.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#370 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu May 19, 2022 2:19 pm

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro/

There’s kind of a lack of the long and tall 2/3’s in this draft. There’s some long 1/2’s in the 6’to 6’5” range, and there’s a lot of the small 4’s/maybe 5’s in the 6’7” type range, but there’s not a lot of the classic Paul George type switchable guard/forwards.

Also, Jake LaRavia of Lawrence North and Wake Forest graded out pretty darned well. Looks like he’ll definitely work his way into the 20-40 range of this draft.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#371 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu May 19, 2022 2:23 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:Another comment I was surprised hearing was he hoped sticks would be back = Jalen Smith !

I’m sure he hopes that, as he’d be a bargain if he stuck around. It’s still just highly unlikely, and would require Jalen taking a massive pay cut on a much shorter deal than he can get elsewhere to stick around here.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#372 » by Wizop » Thu May 19, 2022 3:28 pm

Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#373 » by Tom White » Thu May 19, 2022 4:07 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I’m sure he hopes that, as he’d be a bargain if he stuck around. It’s still just highly unlikely, and would require Jalen taking a massive pay cut on a much shorter deal than he can get elsewhere to stick around here.

If Smith were to look for the silver lining in all that, it would be that his pay cut would be for a shorter time frame. (yeah, I'm searching)
Wizop
RealGM

Post#374 » by Wizop » Thu May 19, 2022 4:28 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:I’m sure he hopes that, as he’d be a bargain if he stuck around. It’s still just highly unlikely, and would require Jalen taking a massive pay cut on a much shorter deal than he can get elsewhere to stick around here.

If Smith were to look for the silver lining in all that, it would be that his pay cut would be for a shorter time frame. (yeah, I'm searching)

Pritchard may just not be wanting to cross a bridge that he hasn't come to yet. Smith won't have other offers for a while and one can hope that other teams just see him as someone who had some good games on a bad team but couldn't get off the bench on a good team.

also searching,
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#375 » by boomershadow » Thu May 19, 2022 7:50 pm

Wizop wrote:
Tom White wrote:

Pritchard may just not be wanting to cross a bridge that he hasn't come to yet. Smith won't have other offers for a while and one can hope that other teams just see him as someone who had some good games on a bad team but couldn't get off the bench on a good team.

also searching,
There is some chance he thinks a one year prove it kind of deal might net him a much better long term deal than he would get just off the partial season he was able to put together here and end up making more money in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 469

Post#376 » by granger05 » Thu May 19, 2022 9:09 pm

I think the argument you make to Smith's camp is that there's tons of opportunity here that he's already thrived in and we crank out MIP award winners. What's the CBA scenario where he signs a contract here that allows for a bird rights situation later? Like, I'm aware that we are limited in the maximum amount we can offer by having traded for the contract that already had the option declined. But, how long can that contract be and then what could we sign him to subsequently? Basically, how much of a short term hit would he have to take? I also am reaching. I watched some video on Smith back during the draft process and loved that he was nicknamed Stix and then later they changed it to Logs when he wasn't scrawny anymore. I'd love it if they could convince him to stick around, but I understand he's got a chance to secure the bag and I don't hold it against him.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#377 » by pacers33granger » Thu May 19, 2022 9:23 pm

The fact that we ended up 6th should be helpful for Jackson, Taylor, and any other big that may be on the roster. Smith very well could be a starter if he comes back. A lot of other teams could give him a starting spot and more money though.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#378 » by Wizop » Thu May 19, 2022 11:07 pm

T Williams and K Cochburn look a lot thinner. Hard work could pay.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 716

Post#379 » by Pacers Forever » Fri May 20, 2022 3:45 am

Searching I would hope that Smith and his camp

Enjoyed getting valuable minutes last year
Thankful to be wanted and believed in
Was happy and having a great time here
Sees future self development opportunity
Knows he could become a starter here
Likes the coaches and staff
Most of all loves his teammates
Knows he’s going to get paid in due time

If he chooses to move on for more money he will lose some of the above. He’s got to weigh if it’s worth possibly gaining these

Teammates that are difficult
New coaching who sours on him
Less playing time
Stunted development path
Uncertainty

To be fair if the right team can fit him in and it’s more important to be on a perennial playoff team and wealthier regardless of personal development and playing time then oh well.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#380 » by 8305 » Fri May 20, 2022 8:43 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:Another comment I was surprised hearing was he hoped sticks would be back = Jalen Smith !

I’m sure he hopes that, as he’d be a bargain if he stuck around. It’s still just highly unlikely, and would require Jalen taking a massive pay cut on a much shorter deal than he can get elsewhere to stick around here.

First thing if I’m Jalen Smith, the only way I give Indiana a second thought is if Turner is gone.
The best thing we can do for Smith is a guaranteed deal for as many years as is legal. Say 4 or 5 years. That would be closer to the total he would see in the 2 or 3 deals other teams might offer. Then give him player options after years 1 and 3. If he gets minutes here he could be worth a lot more next year. At the same time we’ve provided some down side protection for him.

Having said all that, Turner is a much better player right now. My first choice is to extend him.

Return to Indiana Pacers