Post#3 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:42 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 719

Re: Game 59 at Milwaukee 8:00 pm 

Post#4 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:26 am

First half stars Buddy and Tyrese, with good contributions from Taylor, Smith, Thompson
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#5 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:30 am

Very obvious we currently have nobody to stop Giannis. Is Warren able to ? I can’t remember.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Post#6 » by Wizop » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:35 am

Pacers Forever wrote:Very obvious we currently have nobody to stop Giannis. Is Warren able to ? I can’t remember.
Can we stop Holiday or Middleton?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#7 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:48 am

Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:Very obvious we currently have nobody to stop Giannis. Is Warren able to ? I can’t remember.

Not what I asked. Let me rephrase my question.

Next year if we resign Warren can he guard Giannis or anyone on the team hold him down better than we are this season.

Or do we need to acquire someone ?

I understand Middleton and Holiday are stars but not Giannis good.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#8 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:55 am

Taylor, Thompson, and Sykes playing hard and looking good.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:01 am

Pacers Forever wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Next year if we resign Warren can he guard Giannis or anyone on the team hold him down better than we are this season.

Everyone in the league needs to acquire that someone. No one in the league can guard Giannis. If they're available, they're expensive.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#10 » by Wizop » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:03 am

Pacers Forever wrote:

I understand Middleton and Holiday are stars but not Giannis good.

Let me rephrase my answer ;) :

I was wondering if you could stop the other two you could let Giannis get his points.

Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#11 » by Topofthekey » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:42 am

That play at 2:16 was gorgeous though

Wizop
RealGM

Post#12 » by Wizop » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:26 pm

Wizop wrote:I was wondering if you could stop the other two you could let Giannis get his points.

50 answers that question.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:10 pm

Watching last nights game today and a few thoughts as I’m in the 3rd:
  • Goga had a pretty quietly good game
  • Jalen Smith tried, but he had nothing at all for Giannis on defense
  • Terry Taylor may have been the best defender on Giannis and was able to stay with/in front of him and make him work, at least. No one was stopping him. But Terry may be the best at moving his feet and keeping his balance. He’s also got some strength to him. Def looking like a keeper.
  • Buddy is like a Lamb on steroids. I’m fine with keeping him in a rebuild, but if we can move him and let Duane Washington play that role, I think we’d be a better team.
  • I don’t love watching him play, but I get why he is with the injuries. Props to Tristan Thompson for not demanding a buyout and for showing up ready to work every day.
  • Hali’s a dude. Even on nights where he’s not playing his best, he makes a lot of things happen.
  • Oshae didn’t have a great night, but he does a lot of little things so well, including moving out of the way of the ball and impromptu screens.
  • Sykes is proving to be an nba caliber PG. It may not be here next year, though, just based on roster spots and whatnot. But he’s continuing to be a good add this year.
  • I still love Jrue. If we could just find a SF/PF version of him, we’d be cruising. :lol:
  • It’s not just Goga, but seems to be an institutional thing in that we tend to whiff on screens at the top of the key, so we’re not forcing any switches. It seems like the coaches want guys to dive QUICK off the screen that they’re barely touching or making contact. It’s something teams do to us almost every time down, and we’re just not doing it back to them.

Bravo to KP/Chad on the scouting and deep roster diving. Oshae, Sykes, Taylor, etc have been great adds the last calendar year.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#14 » by El Hespiritu » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:45 pm

Watched the game replayed.

Similar to previous matches; putting a fair fight most of the game, looking weak in the clutch.
They are contenders... same could be said about many teams they won this season.

More hopeful than disgraceful I think. I can't see tanking-ball so far.

What I found more interesting is there was a visible change of pace. Still playing uptempo but less rushed than last two games... more room for half court systems and a bit of ball movement before someone shoots or attacks the rim.

They being very good on transition defense prevented many fast breaks but I think this more controlled game plan was intended... I never thought Carlisle was a great fan of 7-seconds-or-less.

Now is kinda 12-seconds-or-less.

I'll spare my thoughts about team defense so far... guys look invested at least.

About guarding Greek Geek... you hardly can lock a legit star. At times he'll have a bad night but that's mostly unrelated with defense over him. If he feels it, you can't lock him... doesn't matter if he's double teamed by Bruce Bowen and Mutombo.

You can try to limit his production or minimize his impact, knowing there is not such a thing as absolute man to man defense. Not even against iso-ball. There are always eight other guys and three referees roaming around you need to be aware of.

As a primary defender or after switch, the most uncomfortable I've seen Giannis was against Suns' Jae RedLiner Crowder and La Mar Stevens, from CLECaus.

Sturdy and relatively short guys can stand in front of Anteto, push him out of the paint using his lower gravity center and force him to pass or take mid-rangers.

...paying the price to be charged with cheap fouls in the process, of course.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea

Return to Indiana Pacers